Blackhawk Epoch Duty Holster

ptrlcop

Established
The first line of the description says "building on our track record of reliable holster performance..." Their track record is shit so I'm going to get out my mat and "jump to conclusions"

Doesn't do anything the ALS doesn't do better

Mike F

Amateur
FYI- I picked up a Blackhawk Epoch out of curiousity. The retention is good as it is a level 3 holster. I think for speed of draw it is a bit faster than the safariland 6280. The Epoch is a little bit noisier too though, as it is just plastic inside the holster and does not have the safariland suede type material.

JPitts0117

I was just issued an epoch since my dept also issued us tlr2/ laser combo. I’ve worn nothing but Safariland since my beginning in law enforcement. The Safariland that’s compatible with the old M6 light is compatible with the tlr2 if anyone is wondering. I hate the Holster it’s bulky, loud, and I’m a hell of a lot slower out of the holster, granted I don’t have the thousands of draws like I do with the Safariland, and having to push the button to drop the hood absolutely infuriates me

Arete

We were given an Epoch for G17/X300 to T&E.

Bigger and bulkier than a 6360 for G17 w/ X300.

Epoch's spring loaded thumb device is not done nearly as well as Safariland's ALS thumb device: it was glitch/inconsistent, easy to "short stroke".

Epoch's hood was loud when it opened, although you can move your fingers from a firing grip to on top of the hood to slowly allow it to move forward, but then you no longer have a firing grip on the gun.

Epoch is MUCH more difficult to do a support hand only draw than a 6360.

Fellow LEO and I did some weapon retention drills with Epoch and within about 1 minute we broke the hood.

Epoch collected dust on a shelf in my office for sometime and was forgot about, apart from the guys who I showed it to occasionally as an example of "Take a look at this POS holster", and eventually I tossed it into a shitcan, where it belonged.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
I tested the Beta model several years back. I made a lot of the recommendations I see here but all they seem to have done was change the shape a bit. I could lock the draw up from friction. It was very noisy, probably my biggest complaint as the rattle was tied to the friction lock issue. The pistol should not have been able to twist so much during the draw. I thought it was terrible when compared to its Safariland competition. The write up I have ruined the relationship I had with the corporate Blackhawk Rep. He literally never called me again after an otherwise frequent relationship. Oh well, he asked for the truth. Apparently he couldn’t handle it.

downs113

We were issued the Epoch's several years ago and have yet to break one. I'm usually a safariland guy, but I really don't mind the Epoch's. I also kind of like the zero degree can't that the Epoch offers over the safariland. I'll agree with everyone else and say that it is bigger and bulkier than a comparable holster. After having thousands of draw on it and and a bunch of classes/training days its just as fast as my safariland holsters.