Best study resources for police entrance test?

SmElly

Based on the bit of research I've done, it seems to be mostly a test of common sense, but I wanna be the best candidate possible.

pointblank4445

Established
It's been a while since I tested, but most of the tests I had were like watered-down high-school standardized tests. There was basic math and deductive reasoning. Personally, if a person isn't up on those, the job may not be for them. There was also areas where you had to write/articulate the scene being described. For some grammar and writing hurts them. If your skills in that aren't strong, you may want to work on that.

I also had one agency (that was well off money wise) and we did test on the computer. Similar to the above, but it had a memory portion where you had this large cityscape with a ton of shit going on and you had a few minutes to take it all in. Later you were asked specifics on the people/activities and you had to note things present in the picture. That was certainly unique and challenging...not sure how likely you are to have that come up.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Can you read?
Can you do basic math?
Can you remember things?

That’s the core content of these tests. You generally don’t have to know laws, cases or skills.

Simms65

Shenanigans!
Staff member
Administrator
What the others said covers it pretty well. Basic math, reasoning, and morals type of questions.

Last edited:

WUtah

All agencies use different tests. There are some agencies who attempt to use a standard test, but there are more than one of those. If you're trying to just strengthen your test taking in general, I'd use a ASVAB study guide. It kind of covers the bases of math, reading, word comprehension, ect. I would also look into some brain game where you're matching pictures and being able to figure out directions on a map. Those will help you out if you run into the test that pointblank4445 mentioned. Some of these tests are written in house so be familiar with some stuff the agency you're applying for might deal with. For example, Customs might test you on some bigger numbers, state agencies might use a lot of fractions, and Border Patrol might test you on Spanish or their version of the DLAB. Make sure you look up as much info you can on any agency you might test with and use that as your guide for what you think you might want to study in preparation for their testing/hiring process.

jnc36rcpd

While the forums are not my first choice for professional discourse, the people at Officer,com have a ton of intell on various testing processes in the state forums.

nick_75

My test was the TABE. 11th grade standardized testing level stuff. Math, reading and comprehension. I struggled with the math on some of the pre-tests because it’s been over 20 years since I took a math class but fortunately I had a high school senior and sophomore in my house to explain multiplying fractions to me. Over all the test was relatively simple. I never saw my score but I assume since I got hired that I did well enough to pass it.

I would suggest finding out which exam your department uses and then start taking pre-tests. If you don’t know something, Google and YouTube are your friends.

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member
What others have said is my experience testing. Memory, reading comprehension, math, and following directions on a city map. There was a difference between municipal and county tests primarily in memory, county was more difficult. Neither tests required dept or local knowledge, that was more an Oral Board thing.

Don't rush through it, use time management. If you dwell on a question for more than a minute, move on and go back to it when you review your answer sheet if that is allowed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk