Best Holster for G-19/23 w/x300-U while wearing a vest.

Tim Ganey

Recently I was asked to work a security detail undercover. Not being able to wear my normal duty belt and gear I chose a cheap belt mounted holster that I sometimes wear off duty. When I put my vest on and checked my draw stroke I found it difficult to quickly access my weapon because it was holding it close in against my body and underneath the bottom edge of my vest. Is there a good belt mounted retention holster that will work with the G-19/23 w/x300-U that will help in this area?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

Roy

What are you planning on concealing it under? I'm betting most Concealment style rigs are going to have issues with the extra size of the vest.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tim Ganey

I will be wearing a light over coat that is long enough to hide the fact that I am armed but I don't think it would hide the bulk of my full duty belt very well. Just looking for a retention style holster that will work well while worn on a regular belt in addition to wearing my vest.

Roy

My only guess for the above criteria is something along the lines of the safariland ALS holsters I've got one I wear for court and it isn't too bulky under a suit jacket

Fatboy

Established
If you don't need retention (a cover garment is the best form of retention really), try looking at a kydex holster. There are about a million and one makers out there that will fit your needs and budget. I have one from PHLSTER, and it can be switched from IWB to OWB as well as adjusting the ride height and cant. Basically any holster that follows the Raven Concealment style. Just make sure to raise up the ride height to clear the edge of you vest. A taller sweat guard will help with that too. Different belt loops will also suck it in tight to your waistline, reducing the bulk of your profile.

Or if you do a lot of plain clothes/ need to hide a bunch of crap on your person, maybe look at High Threat Concealment's set up. It seems to hide the kitchen sink pretty well.

weaver1032

My experience has been that the Safariland 6378 holsters, especially with a light, are bulky as hell and don't conceal well at all. If its kosher for your policy, I'd stick with a Raven Phantom type with a high sweat guard. That's what I roll with for my plainclothes set up and it interfaces well with armor and still conceals a G17/X300U well.

SCSU74

No prob. Mine is 6378 with paddle.

That's what I use as well, same basic operation as my duty holster and a variety of belt mount options (paddle, belt slide or regular duty holster shank) you could also set it up for QLS if you're switching mounting options often.

Boy Scout

I was plainclothes for a few years and wore a MOLLE tac vest and "Micro" gun belt of my own design (1.75" cobra belt with a holster, spare mag, handcuff case and mini dump pouch). My holster (for a G22 w/ TLR-1) was a modded Safariland from which I removed the hood and just had the ALS lock. I mounted it to one of their belt slide attachments and mounted it directly to the mini gunbelt. It was by far the most comfortable set-up that I've ever worn and miss that rig to this day. I wore a cover jacket on numerous occasions and was able to hide that holster quite well (not UC by any means, but it passed the walk by test). I had zero problems drawing from it with a Point Blank (sucky) MOLLE carrier.

You may have good luck with something like that, maybe one of their new 7TS models that's not quite as bulky. Add one of the paddle or belt attachments and put it directly on your pants (versus an extra belt) and it might hide fairly well with a slick vest.

Matt117

Amateur
When I was working in plainclothes I used a Safariland belt slide attachment with a QLS receiver attached to a 6377. The fork setup kicks the holster out far enough to prevent hooking on the edge of the vest while still riding at waist height. This setup worked for plainclothes enforcement work where true concealment wasn't necessary. (vest,radio,handcuffs,mags,and pepper spray on the belt OWB are a dead giveaway I guess) However it could be covered decently with a longer jacket or hoodie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk