Beretta 80x: The Good, Bad & Ugly

pointblank4445

Established
@Matt Landfair putting his on FB made me want to give some heads up on my initial work with the 80X

Background:
I've always had a soft spot for the Cheetah. About a year ago, I was not happy with the micro-9's and considered just jumping to an alloy frame DA 380. I thought it would be a nice bridge between the 351C and my C2 Staccato...still possible for some NPE's but a bit more capacity and shootability than a 12oz 22mag snubby with a 12 pound trigger pull.

I found a very nice 84FS and loved everything about it save for the sights... which suck given the otherwise shootability of the gun
ly836OP.jpg

(Un)luckily for me, I sent the 84FS off for some custom irons about 6 weeks before the 80X was announced. :confused:

In my "red dot em if ya got em" mentality of today and 2 is 1 mantra of our community, I picked up an 80X as well. Shot it at the range when I picked it up and despite the crude rear sight attached to a plate, it shot well with a cover hold with Norma and Fed AE.

The Good:
The 84F was unpleasant to shoot with Norma defense hp's and Federal AE. I used this ammo specifically to try with the 80X and it was farm more pleasant.
The 80X doesn't have the mag disconnect that the 84FS has.
Despite initial press, the magazines are compatible.
Albeit long, the 80X has a rather decent DA trigger weight and feel.

The Bad:
You get either crude irons (with the rear plate attached to the slide with 2x screws) or a red dot...even with some integral rears built into holosuns, no front sight exists to come close to having back-up irons. Though this is my first Beretta with a red dot...this sucker sits HIGH

Isz5YwL.jpg

Texture on the OEM grips is a little lacking especially if it's a "summer carry" option.

To incorporate a serious rail for use with WML's, it really beefs up this gun compared to the older 81/84's. For what this gun is, I'm not sure it's necessary, but the general public gotta have their rails.
The rds plates need some serious work. The recoil bosses on the Holosun K plate were almost nonexistent. Given all that we know about plates already, what was sacrificed to make this RDS ready, was not worth it.
84 has a crappy front sight, 80X has a crappy rear sight....sights are still not what they could be

The UGLY:
W8h2vao.jpg

My brand-spakin' new Holosun MPS Carry took a beatin'. Despite filing the screws to fit with all the threading possible but not protruding from the plate, the sights worked loose 2x in less than 70 rounds with the RDS. This little Holosun is getting a new home and new life as an offset rds on a rifle

Conclusion:
While my dreams have been dashed for a quality Beretta Cheetah with micro red dot, the gun shoots extremely well with just the OEM irons.
I would like to see some additional front sight options in terms of tritium/fiber op and height.

If we're being honest, Beretta could've skipped the RDS plate and light rail....the 80X isn't that kind of party IMHO. They would have been better off making it accept 92 irons and giving the user a better fixed iron option...essentially. With that, I'm not sure I would pick the 80X over my upgraded 84FS for my purposes for this reason.

MOT

Thanks for sharing, I’ve yet to play with the new 80x but I love my old 84b. Like you said, the biggest negative is the sights. Would love to see your upgraded cheetah. The other two negatives I’ve found is the lack of great holster selection and the lack of Langdon trigger magic(not that the stock one is bad at all)

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
Well this is a bit of a disappointment. This seemed to be an interesting alternative to something like the P365 family. If the red dot plate issues get fixed somehow, how would that change your conclusion?

pointblank4445

Established
Well this is a bit of a disappointment. This seemed to be an interesting alternative to something like the P365 family. If the red dot plate issues get fixed somehow, how would that change your conclusion?

Pat this is precisely the idea I had and adding on the the capability of the 84.
Even if the red dot plate issues get fixed (I’m hoping Langdon gets in on these guns eventually), I was not thrilled with how high the eps carry had to sit (disclosure: this is my first rds Beretta despite owning 92’s) as it adds a lot of profile to such a small profile gun. Obviously I shot the gun better at 20-25y when the rds was tight to the gun.

Kinda in a holding pattern at the moment on what role the 80x will play now

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I imagine there are companies working on aftermarket RDS plates for the gun right now. There are at least a few who make options for the factory non-LTT RDO system that drop the optic as low as possible

pointblank4445

Established
Would love to see your upgraded cheetah.
Sorry, boss...I didn't see this.

The front is essentially like a Trijicon HD front (with tritium). It's outstanding. Honestly if this gun just had the 80x trigger (and maybe no mag disconnect), it would be the best of both worlds

4f4nW7J.jpg

iQURFGj.jpg

Reactions: MOT

MOT

Sorry, boss...I didn't see this.

The front is essentially like a Trijicon HD front (with tritium). It's outstanding. Honestly if this gun just had the 80x trigger (and maybe no mag disconnect), it would be the best of both worlds

4f4nW7J.jpg

iQURFGj.jpg
No worries man. But dude I’m glad you did get back on that. She’s very sexy with those good lookin sights on top.