Benelli m4

Austin Black

Amateur
So Im thinking about getting an m4. Is an "out of the box" m4 from scheels ready to go or are there modifications I need to make to make it more better. Is the collapsible stock really worth it or is it just a expensive tacticool street cred booster? Is the h2o still around and is that a good option for a gun that will be outside allot?

Roscoe

The collapsible stock can actually be a little painful to shoot. I have two M4's, an issued SBS and a full size.

On the full size I use the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock which helps with cheek weld and optics. I had to replace the picatinny rail as it is out of spec and can damage your optics mounts. I run a Carrier Comp Ti charging handle, Surefire M80 rail, X300 Ultra and Aimpoint T1 4moa with Larue low Mount. I also use a 2 round factory extension. The Mesa side saddle is ok but the rounds often move around when "letting it hang".

It's a heavy pig. I'd much rather carry a rifle.

Caomhin

I did not like the Mesa Tactical Stock. The buttpad seemed breakage prone but at the time I was living in Michigan and Indiana and being a gear head the thought of dropping it on the buttstock in 10 degree weather would snap one of the ears.

I prefer modifying the field stock - I find the stocks too long.

Instead I followed 922R and upgraded the follower, magazine & spring, Fire Control Group, collapsing buttstock and foregrips. Picatinny rail is next.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Ashdown

I bought a Sidearmor rail for mine years ago, when they were the only other option out there other than Surefire. Awesome rail/carrier system and I love it, but it just made that heavy pig heavier, and way more expensive. YMMV.

Unobtanium

On my M4's, I've always done:

Carrier Comp Ti mag tube and spring and USA made follower
Geissele hammer

I used to run the CC Ti/A2 charging handle as well, but found it superflous.
I make my own bolt-release using a 1911 4-40 threaded button from Shooter Supply, and a threaded bolt-release from another company. It's very unobtrusive and gets the job done in a classy and functional way.

The C-stock is only for optics/body armor. There are no good stocks for this weapon unless you're 6'2+, as the Urbino attachment system sucks in this application, IMO.

All of my friends who have shot people prefer the 5.56 kind of M4's, and a huge reason is that you can suppress the M4 and won't suffer hearing loss nearly at the same level. This makes sense to me, and I hardly ever shot my M4's of the 12ga variety, so I sold them.

Also, I LOVE the mil-spec barrel. If I buy another M4 (12ga), I'm going to outfit it with a current issue barrel, as well. I just prefer the fixed choke.

jmatt511

Amateur
My M4 has the Benelli full steel tube for extra rounds. Mesa Tactical rail with 6 round sidesaddle. Mesa tactical urbino stock with riser. Freedom fighters extended carrier, 1/2" charging handle and hammer/disconnector/sear with springs. Tactical Springs tube spring. AVA light mount with surefire. Blue force Vickers sling. Aimpoint T2 with American Defense low mount.