Belts, Not Just for Whoop'n Anymore

RPA

I figured I'd start my first thread, and seeing how I had went through several traditional leather belts when I started CC a few months back, what better way to start a thread about belts?

Concealed belts, duty belts, bandoleers, suspenders, garters, if it's got a strap, let's hear about it.

Now, I opted for a 5.11 belt as pretty much everywhere I go either has something to do with Condor or 5.11. I didn't want to wait a couple weeks on shipping and I needed something tangible. I would like to know what better durable belts are there for a conceal carry?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
Condor is not a brand one should use for any use. 511 is a step above that.

Anything from Ares Gear - I use the Aegis, Ranger, their basis rigger's, military and LE duty belts.

Anything from Mean Gene Leather - I use the Victory Aegis.

Belts are a vital component of carrying a gun. It isn't an item to skimp on.

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
I just recently got an Ares Aegis enhanced, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

I went through a couple old style riggers belts, and was happy with the quality by and large, but for CCW, the Ares offerings are light years ahead. Great CS, fast shipping, and Jake is a good dude.

adam_s

I'm a firm member of the Ares Gear Aegis fan club as well. I've used both the Ranger, and the Aegis, and have transitioned over exclusively to the Aegis.
The lead time is not a big deal-particularly since Ares Gear has quite a few stocking dealers to scratch that need for immediate gratification itch.

RPA

Belts are a vital component of carrying a gun. It isn't an item to skimp on.

I know that much.
I guess my question was answered far faster than I had thought. Reason why I went with a 5.11 is that I'm still starting out, it was better than a lot of the other options I have around where I live. With this Ares Gear thing, I'm sure my current belt will hold up for the time it takes for an Ares belt to get to my front door.

I am getting a feel for my carry, finding out what things I like, what things I don't like and what things work and don't work, so on and so forth. I also don't trust a lot of 'reviews' on most websites be it company employees saying that their gear is the best thing to have ever be graced by the face of God, or some BB warrior saying 'I wuz in dem milsum gaems und it held up nice!' when the reality of it is way worse than what is perceived.

scratch that need for immediate gratification itch.

In this case, guilty.

N

nate89

Another vote for the Ares options. I used two Galco 'instructor' style belts for about 5 years, and they did pretty well. The Ares is a whole different level of support, and after the first day wearing one, the cost was the farthest thing from my mind. I bought two of them, and really haven't worn anything else since I got them. They still look brand new. One thing I really appreciate now about the buckle system they use is the ability to quickly adjust the best either in or out. As you walk, or sit down, or do different activities, I have found that a different length of belt helps the comfort level. It is very easy to let the belt out a bit, or tighten it up on the fly. I do this on campus regularly, and nobody is the wiser.

regdudedrtyjob

I have worn my Ares Gear Ranger as my everything belt for 3 years now. When I am at work, it has been my inner belt for a nylon and now a leather duty belt. When off duty, it is my CCW/Everyday/dress belt. I have no experience with any other belt other than a 5.11 leather belt with reinforcing that wasn't too bad. I don't feel the need at this time to look for anything belt-wise other than Ares Gear.

PatMcG

I could write a book on my journey from complete derp to where I am now. I fought countless holsters and guns all because I couldn't understand why anybody would spend $100 on a belt. Then I broke down and bought an Ares belt. I could have bought 2 for sure maybe three with all the money I spent on straight crap. Carrying a 19 in an eidolon with the Ares belt is much more comfortable and stable and just as concealable as my 43 with any other shitty belt I've tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member
Another vote for Ares Enhanced Aegis and Mean Gene Aegis for all reasons stated above. Wish I would have known about these from the beginning, a lot of money and frustration would have been saved.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WayneF

My first "review" of the Aegis I have been wearing almost every day since July of 2013....

EDC

What does it mean to you? For many that question centers around guns. But what does it take to use those effectively?

First and foremost is training. If your training consists of attending a state mandated CCW class or bi-annual qualifications through your agency, you are woefully behind the curve. But that is a topic for another day.

How do you go about carrying those life saving tools? Most people don't bat an eyelash at dropping $500 or more on the latest and greatest blaster that graces the cover of the gun rags.

Thankfully many folks are aware that it will probably cost around $100 for a quality holster to carry that weapon in. Fewer will be committed enough to carry a spare magazine and spend the money on a decent carrier for it as well.

By the time we tally up the cost of a pistol, holster, two mags worth of quality defensive ammo, a spare mag holder, decent flashlight and a folding knife, we are probably talking about $800-$1000. Not exactly chump change.

Then why is it that people will insist on hanging all of that gear off of a flimsy belt they picked up 10 years ago at Walmart?

Your belt is the platform that all of that other gear depends on. A weak belt will cause your gear to shift. It will make draws sloppy due to movement. It will also create pressure points and make carrying less comfortable.

There are a handful of quality belt makers out there. My go to option for the last 5 years or so has been Ares Gear, LLC. I have several of their Ranger belts and I have worn one almost every day.

Everything from quick trips to the store with a pistol to playing Army where I would routinely have a M9, spare pistol mag, and two M4 mags hanging off of it.

In my eye, they are the standard that all other belts are judged.

For the last few months I have had a T&E belt from them that has changed my opinion. Today, Ares announced their new Aegis belt.

It has the same stiffness due to the double scuba webbing design but they dropped the 1" webbing and Cobra buckle in place for a plain (but high quality) beadblasted stainless buckle.

This buckle doesn't stand out as much as the Cobra buckle design. It fits in wearing business casual when required by work or a pair of jeans walking around town.

Take an honest look at your EDC. Don't think of it as a pistol(s) with it's support gear. Instead, look at it as a complete system. A system that is only as strong as it's weakest link.

You wouldn't skimp on a defensive firearm, so don't skimp on the rest of the package.