Belt stiffness for concealed carry/EDC

I posted the following question on Facebook...

"EDC belts for concealed carry (AIWB and IWB):

I've seen a trend on other forums where people are becoming happier and more comfortable using less stiff belts for AIWB and IWB carry, not the usual stiff and reinforced belts we're classically used to picking. An example is using Volund slim belts instead of their normal belts. Reasoning is that the less stiff belts allow the holsters to flex and move better with your body as you go throughout your day.

Do you agree or disagree, and why? Please provide any experiences you've had if able.

EDIT: with all the answers, I wanted to follow up with a few more specifics:

1. What kind of carry do you use (AIWB or IWB)?
2. What holster are you using?
3. What is your body type (tall/thin/athletic, short/fat/stubby, thin but with a beer gut, etc.)?
4. What belt are you using and how stiff would you say it is?
5. Do you carry any other gear, including spare magazines, on your belt?"

...and received the following replies/had the following discussions:

Nicholas Pratt I personally disagree.
A more rigid belt controls the holster and makes it print less. Also, my pants stay put and the holster is easier to draw from when anchored to a strong foundation.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 28 at 10:39pm

Nicholas Pratt
For frame of reference, I have an Ares Ranger Enhanced that I don't use for Aiwb because the buckle prints and creates issues with gear placement.
For AIWB I have been using SOE low profile EDC belts with loop Velcro liner. Those work well for me. On m...See More

Like · Reply · November 29 at 7:26am

Matt Prime
Isn't the SOE EDC and Ares Ranger practically the same belt?
Like · Reply · November 29 at 2:00pm

Caleb Chitty
The SOE low profile has a G hook instead of a cobra buckle
Like · Reply · 2 · November 29 at 2:05pm

Nicholas Pratt
The Ranger is more rigid than the SOE EDC. SOE makes a Rigid Cobra Belt that I believe is more comparable to the Ares Ranger.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 29 at 3:16pm

Write a reply...

Ryan Albert
I disagree. I almost always carry AIWB with an aegis enhanced. I've gone a few times with a regular cheap leather 1.5" belt. The regular belt allowed way too much holster shift and was not as comfortable. I also had to wear it tighter. I'll keep my gun belt for doing gun stuff.

When I used to carry at 3, a regular belt was definitely a no go.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 28 at 10:40pm · Edited

David Johnson
I use a Bladetech EDC belt, which is rigid but has more bend to it horizontally than something like an Ares or Magpul belt.

I tried the latter two out with an Eidolon but found the gun pulled tighter into the body with the more flexible EDC belt, which obviously aids in concealment. I found no difference between any of the belts when it came to keeping equipment in position on the body.

Part of it may be due to body type. I'm skinnier and found the more rigid belts never conformed to my waist, so the claw on the Eidolon never worked as well vice a more flexible solution.
Like · Reply · 3 · November 28 at 10:44pm · Edited

Timothy Yang
For me and my hips I noticed that my belts sit lower in front than around the back. So a really really rigid belt tends to make an AIWB holster jab into my thigh more often and kind of cants the butt of a gun outwards very slightly. "less stiff" is a l...See More
· Reply · 1 · November 28 at 10:45pm

Xander Walsh
I use an Ares Gear Aegis belt. I know some people who prefer the saggy pant and belt setup especially for appendix carry. Not my thing.
Like · Reply · November 28 at 10:46pm

Joe Glessner
I disagree. I wear a Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer belt with the stiffener insert. I've carried for years with many different belts and looser belts always resulted in either having to constantly adjust my pants or premature deformation of the belt from the weight of a loaded gun (which resulted in my draw changing slightly over time, or my gun not being exactly where I expected it to be when moving around).

I definitely prefer a stiffer belt.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 28 at 10:59pm

Austin Leland
I find that I prefer to use my 1.5" Volund Atlas over my 1.75" Atlas for AIWB. I also like to use 1.75" loops on my AIWB holsters. I still get the benefits of a stiff gun belt, but the extra room in the loops allows the gun to shift a bit, which is beneficial to me for changing positions (getting in/out of a vehicle, etc...).
Like · Reply · 3 · November 28 at 11:21pm

Greg Ryman
I'm going to catch some flak over this, but after having other belts fail such as my 5.11 I did an experiment. I went to Walmart and bought a leather double buckle belt. I've been using that belt for about two years now without issue. The double buckle system keeps the belt from wearing where the buckle secures the belt. This has worked great for IWB, but if I was to run an OWB system I would use a stiff ended belt.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 28 at 11:24pm

Lee Gullett
I've worn both thick and reinforced and belts with some play in the appendix area. What I found is that it didn't have a huge impact in either way for comfort and that the holster and gun mattered more for concealment and comfort.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 28 at 11:27pm

Morgan Atwood
(Edited to add my carry for reference)
I prefer belts like the Volund Slim that contour to the body and gun better. For me, they give better concealment and more comfort.
Super stiff belts tend to arch over the holster with less contour, making a more present bulge under a close fitting shirt. Since I try not to dress like a slob, and dislike baggy "dress around the gun" shirts, that's important to me.
Contouring belts further seem to pull the gun in better, especially in AIWB, for better concealment. Some of my stiff belts actually seem to pull the holster forward because they aren't flexible enough to bend over it closely and tightly to the body.
Flexible belts are also more comfortable for me. Especially with a lower back injury, a stiff belt kills my back by the end of the day, though I did it a long time thinking it was the right way.

Its important to note here, flexible/contouring doesn't mean floppy shit that collapses under weight I.e. department store belts. Stiffer than that, without being Ares stiff.
For reference, I'm 5'10" around 235lbs, with too much of that being spare tire, and wear a 36" waist. Other builds may have other experiences, I couldn't say. I'm carrying a G17 in PHLster Skeleton2 daily, with reload, and centerline mounted fixed blade on my belt, and a large folding knife, handheld light, and heavy impact weapon, in my pockets along with keys/phone/wallet.
Like · Reply · 6 · November 29 at 9:04am · Edited

Lee Gullett
I was hoping you'd chime in since I know we've talked about this.

Could you give some examples of belts you feel that contour effectively to the gun and also provide sufficient rigidity and such?
Like · Reply · November 29 at 12:07am

Caleb Chitty
Lee Gullett This is what he referenced

http://store.volundgearworks.com/.../atlas-cobra-slim...

Atlas Cobra SLIM Belt | Atlas Cobra Belts | Volund Gearworks
store.volundgearworks.com
Like · Reply · November 29 at 12:19am

Morgan Atwood
Caleb Chitty - I think Lee was trying to get me to expand on my heresy a bit
1f609.png
;)

The Volund Atlas Slim is the best one I can think of, honestly. They also make it in a GHook closure which may be superior, given the bulk of the Cobra.
I've made belts for about 15 years, so I have several examples in leather and biothane that are great examples of this, but they're not available. At least not yet. The biothane DalTech Force SuperBio belt is close, though.
I've had single layer riggers belts that worked okay here too. So long as the webbing was stiff enough to not roll under weight.

But, in my admittedly limited experience, I'd suggest the Volund as a first choice. Had I more funds at my disposal, I could try more belts and assemble a better list... But kids are expensive, and mama might kill me if I buy $500 or $800 worth of belts.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 29 at 12:34am

Morgan Atwood
Oh, and the Wilderness as was suggested by Tom below... Another good option.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 29 at 12:39am

Nicholas Pratt
Glad you made the distinction between stiff, really stiff, and floppy AF.
That frame of reference is important in this conversation.
Like · Reply · November 29 at 7:09am

Nicholas Pratt
I gimmick I'll need yo order a Slim G Hook belt to try.
Thanks!
Like · Reply · November 29 at 7:15am

Nicholas Pratt
For reference, I'm currently using G Hook EDC belts from SOE. Those are working well for me.
Like · Reply · November 29 at 7:17am

Write a reply...

Dorey Cavis
I've used my inner duty belt on multiple occasions with my 17 and vg3, but that's more because i've let myself turn into a disgusting fatbody and the flex keeps the sights from cutting my gut open.
Like · Reply · November 29 at 12:12am

Tom Kelley
I'll take a floppy belt over the excessively stiff belts out there. The gold standard for the largest aiwb community out there is the Wilderness 5-stitch. This does the job just fine and is vertically rigid enough to allow a repeatable draw without excess movement, enough conformance and contour over the aiwb features to let them work as designed, and soft enough to not cut in. The caveat to less rigid is the belt tension needed to keep things up. I can wear a less rigid belt tighter and more comfortably than I can an Aegis loose or tight. Of the AIWB holsters I have the 5Shot SME is about the only one that works just as well for me with rigid and not. All others, a comprehensive list of good aiwbs, work better for me with the Wilderness 5-Stitch. Their webbing just works.

As someone who sells a fair amount of AIWB holsters and has been in that game for longer than most I've had countless customers "save" their old holsters with a belt swap.

Also consider as the waist increase the belt needs change. As the distance between support points (hip bones, glutes) changes so do the belt needs. As the shape of the abdomen changes so do the belt needs. Someone who is tall and skinny will have different needs than their twin who does barbell lifts and has a strong core. I think most average people would do best with the Wilderness.
Like · Reply · 6 · November 29 at 12:27am

Stanislaus Katczinsky
I have used a Wilderness 5 stitch for years now; I have found it to be far more comfortable to me than my Aegis Ranger Belt, for concealed carry. The Aegis would cut into my waist more, and the belt itself was thick enough cause the soft loops on my AWIB holsters to print somewhat noticeably through my t-shirts.
Like · Reply · 3 · November 29 at 12:37am

Leo Daher
I have used a Wilderness 5 stitch for a number of years as well. I couldn't understand when folks complained about soft loops on their AIWB holsters printing, since I never experienced that problem. After reading your comment, I finally get it.

Another good thing about Wilderness belts, of course, is price.
Like · Reply · December 2 at 10:12pm

Write a reply...

Clark Trost
I'm using the volund at last G hook lite currently. It's in that medium range of rigidity that seems to work best for me. I've had super stuff and pretty floppy belts. That atlas has become my favorite thus far.
Like · Reply · November 29 at 12:43am

Tom Kelley
As far as most folks here go the Atlas is less rigid.
Like · Reply · November 29 at 12:48am

Write a reply...

Drew King
Appendix carrier here. I use a stiff soe belt mostly, or a Galco reinforced leather belt when I'm dressing snazzy, I prefer the stiffer belts they tend to hold the weapon and rig into my stomach or at least close enough where the print isn't noticeable, where the average belt just folds and the butt of the guns pushs out more, I'm 6 ft 130 too so there's no belly driving that gun outward either, the average belt just fails for me. Just my take.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 29 at 12:48am · Edited

Nicholas Pratt
Which SOE belt? An EDC or a Rigid?
Like · Reply · November 29 at 7:18am

Drew King
Both more so the rigid
Like · Reply · November 29 at 11:15am · Edited

Write a reply...

Wesley Raney
Not necessarily a slimmer belt but I have come to appreciate the more low profile buckles that are more common on less rigid belts for AIWB.
Like · Reply · November 29 at 12:47am

Lee Greco
I just use the inner belt from a double alpha competition belt for AIWB. It's think, but stiff enough to support a gun and it doesn't have a buckle that bulges and has to be hidden in a weird spot.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 29 at 1:17am · Edited

Trevor Robinson
+1 their new enhanced inner is nicer too.
Like · Reply · November 30 at 10:27am

Write a reply...

Wes Hersberger
I wear an aegis enhanced with the buckle at 12 o'clock. Everyday off Duty. I have a 33" waist and carry AIWB glock 22 with x300 U boat. I wear smaller tight fitting tees all the time and never notice printing or bulging issues. I believe as stated above the stiffer belt tends to better conceal than thinner less rigid belts I've used in the past.
Like · Reply · November 29 at 1:26am

Duke Krieger
"In Okinawa, belt mean no need rope hold up pants." That said; I've had over a dozen Ares belts since 2008. I keep coming back to the Ranger, and the enhanced Aegis. I like the classic Bianchi belts. Like Alan said about his satchel; "It's where I keep...See More
· Reply · 6 · November 29 at 2:20am

Morgan Atwood
Thats a solid point. I actually edited my flexible belt recommendation with my regular carry, to give a better picture of what I'm expecting a belt to do as a "man satchel".
Like · Reply · November 29 at 9:06am

Write a reply...

Everett Marm
I personally prefer a relatively thin and flexible belt, especially for AIWB carry. It can't be flimsy but I find the very thick reinforced gun belts excessive and uncomfortable. I've recently started using a First Spear Line One Belt, it's pretty much perfect. Sturdy enough to not roll or bend under the weight of the gun, thin enough to avoid adding extra bulk.
Like · Reply · November 29 at 3:43am

Jonathan Halek
I have no ass, no hips, and CBT. A stiff belt is the only thing keeping me from self-pantsing at any given moment.
Like · Reply · 6 · November 29 at 5:49am

Chris Hill
No ass and no hips. My kinda bod
Like · Reply · 2 · November 29 at 10:35am

Jonathan Halek
Yeah, but people can see me when I turn sideways
1f641.png
:(
Like · Reply · 1 · November 29 at 10:55am · Edited

Write a reply...

Roy Sargent
I disagree at least for regular IWB I've never carried AIWB so I can comment on that. I've run good belts and regular belts and in the end the stiffer the belt the less I notice the gun. I actually run a belt with a stiffener sewn in to give extra support.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 29 at 6:07am

Michael Anthony
I've went through countless leather and single layer nylon belts. I found a good, stiff belt is needed for security and concealment. Even leather belts advertised as "gun belts" have stretched and provided for a loose fit and flimsy feel. I carry at th...See More
· Reply · November 29 at 7:53am

Monty Grubbs
I've been wearing a Wilderness 5-stitch. 1.75" Instructor belt for at least 15yrs now maybe longer. AIWB a full-size M&P and accoutrements. I have no ass whatsoever so the belt is ALL that keeps everything held up. I don't have any complaints about it but I wonder if there's anything better out there??

I also wonder about these new-ish Biothane belts? I like the looks of the First Spear belt, but not the price.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 29 at 8:22am

Morgan Atwood
I've had good luck with Biothane. Its tough stuff, appropriately flexible without rolling under weight (in the right grades, as used for gun belts at least), and has a clean look that doesn't get worn or scuffed like leather.
I believe the DalTech Force SuperBio belt is a few ducats cheaper than the First Spear. That's the only commercial biothane belt I've used, though I've made a few.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 29 at 8:59am

ME Anyone know if Magpul's El Burro is similar to the First Spear biothane belt in performance? The First Spear design is a big turnoff for me with that big gaudy logo screaming out front.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 29 at 9:20am

Write a reply...

Trevor Robinson
I'm a big fan of the Stormrider Gear belts, I would put them in the "moderately stiff" category, and no buckle (double hook and loop closers, both horizontally and vertically) probably one of the most comfortable options I've used. Skinny guy, G19 appendix.
Like · Reply · November 30 at 10:43am

ME This was an awesome discussion. Thanks everyone for your insight.

I'm going to modify the OP slightly based on some of the replies. If you've got the time, could you expound upon what I put in there? Thank you!
Like · Reply · 2 · December 1 at 1:25pm

Roy Sargent
1. IWB at the 330-400 position.
2. JM Custom Kydex IWB 1 (he made it as a special request for a glock 34 with an RMR 06 and TLR1HL.)
3. Tall fat guy
4. Wilderness Tactical with a sewn in stiffener. The belt is about as stiff as you can get.

I'd suggest one more question too. What type of gear besides a gun do you carry on your belt?

For me aside from the gun I also have two spare mags and a fixed blade knife on my support side. I can honestly forget I have it all on its so comfortable and the belt carries the weight so well.
Unlike · Reply · 1 · December 1 at 1:33pm

ME Good call. Will add.
Like · Reply · 1 · December 1 at 1:34pm

Write a reply...

Travis Brannon
I Carry a g19 at 3:30 in a galco triton then moved to a blade tech nano. I use to use a wilderness frequent flyer belt before I got my SOE Cobra belt. I don't carry anything else on the belt. But I do carry a spare mag in a pocket mag pouch, knife, tourniquet, surefire EB1, phone, wallet and the SOE stiff belt carries it easier. I now use the wilderness belt as the inner belt under my duty belt at work. So. If I'm on the way to work and I have to make a stop (gas) I'll throw my g43 appendix and untuck my uniform shirt over it. The wilderness belt works well for that little gun. But when I used it for my g19 and EDC I remember constantly needing to tighten it.

ptrlcop

Established
I'm 5'11" 165 and for me carrying AIWB I prefer something a little more flexible. For 3 o'clock OWB carry I'm a fan of ares belts. For AIWB mean gene seems to hit the sweet spot for me. A flimsy, non gun belt ain't gonna cut it either way.

jrshelnutt

Carried G17, G19, and Gov 1911 in hybrid holsters like crossbreed at 3 o'clock comfortably for years with Ares Ranger.

I'm 5'9" 155lbs and that was the most comfortable carry method for me.

I have recently gone to a Alexandryan kydex AIWB holster for G17/ G19 and a TLR and found the Ares Ranger to be less comfortable than my well broken in crossbreed 1.5 leather belt.

Abuchanan

Amateur
1. AIWB g19/tlr-1HL, also now that its cold I OWB carry under a heavy coat.
2.RCS VG3 - I was using a g-code for quite a while and when the vg3 for tlr-1 came out I switched to it, very happy about the switch.
3. Athletic - 5'10" 170
4. Ares Gear Aegis Enhanced - Stiffest belt ive ever owned, I was surprised after I bought it, that it was as stiff or stiffer than my DAA racer rig. The extra stiffness, i've learned is paramount to keeping that holster where i want it with no sagging or movement and minimal printing under a button down.
5. I carry a knife left side AIWB as well, as mentioned above during cold weather i carry OWB and carry all three on the belt; gun, 2 spare mags, AIWB knife.
TQ in pocket.