Basic Swat School Recommendation

Bangout

Amateur
I need a basic swat school recommendation for somewhere in the deep south or at least 5 or 6 hours driving from south MS. Whether its true or not the admin is talking about sending the team to training. What I'm afraid of is we will be sent to some garbage school that will be a waste of time. Maybe not waste of time but not get the full benefit of training that we could get somewhere else.

Check out our Company Front Range Training & Consulting at www.frontrangetraining.com Your agency can host a course at your location, and receive complimentary seats in the course. That means, you get free training. No kidding. Check out our site and read what our clients say about us. Check out our training calendar. Lots of courses listed throughout the country. By the way, this is Ken. If you want more info, call me or Rick at the office.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
What are the criteria for the school?
What topics need to be covered?

It seems DARC LECTC covers a lot while providing an excellent foundation for further development.

Bangout

Amateur
I would love to go to DARC but i think the courses are really expensive. I can't find a class schedule for them.

PM07

Staff member
IIRC, Paul is teaching some specific classes but not all. He was there for our Advanced SWAT but a lot of the class was taught by his adjuncts. And the class did not suffer at all because of it. I can highly recommend CSAT personally and have heard nothing but excellent things about DARC.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
There are many good Basic SWAT schools out there. When deciding which to attend, recognize that some Chiefs like the tactical organization backing, like MTOA on the certificate. Since it sounds like it's close, it might be a good option. The other benefit of the organization backed school, particularly in your region, is that you get to meet dudes from other teams. Networking and having support for how to get things done is huge, maybe not as a new guy, but info to pass to TL's like one of the instructors was from XXX PD and he said you could call him about XXX topic.

LECTC is NOT a basic SWAT school. I say that because there are some important parameters missing from the curriculum. Just like a High Risk Warrant school is not necessarily a basic class. It is my opinion that the basic class should be well rounded and cover everything from legal considerations, case law, scouting, basic breaching, op planning, different types of missions and deployments (common ones), and it should have enough field reps to start to ingrain CONCEPTS about clearing and FISH'ing since a mixed schools curriculum will be different than yours teams SOP's. The concepts are more important than teaching a particular clearing method, you should get that but with a healthy dose of a way not the way.

So look for a well rounded school in my opinion. If it's 3 days of shooting and two days of dynamic clearing, it is not well rounded. Food for thought.

Bangout

Amateur
I think the MTOA class will be my best be for me to go to since being off work isn't an issue for me at this time. I don't think they will send anyone else because its 2 weeks long. Hopefully I will be able to teach what I can to everyone else. After the conversation I had with the admin the other day, it looks like the other option may be to host a class. I will be looking into a venue for that. The classes I have been to in the past are a what Bill is describing, but they were not meant to be swat schools, even though that's why we were sent there.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
If your whole team needs a Basic SWAT school, then bringing a vendor to you for the whole team to attend at the same time is HUGE. I do this fairly routinely for start up teams or teams that are still fairly new. The bonus is that you guys get group think, and the Instrucotr can tailor the course to your needs and potentially dump some things that they would usually teach in an open course that might apply to others, so it must be covered. At least that's what I Di and recommend to dudes.

I think you're on the right path.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Contact the local FBI field office and find who is the head of their SWAT team. They usually will teach a more or less free 40-80 hour basic SWAT course. I know in Nevada thats how most of the guys get the Basic SWAT course, although some of the bigger cities will do a combined Basic course for when new guys are brought on.

Just make a few phone calls.

M6B

Did you find a course? There is a Basic SWAT in October and Advanced SWAT in November at Ft. McClellan, AL. Put on by ARM Group. You can go to Northeast Alabama Law Enforcement Academy, Advanced Training and get info. I don't remember the cost, but it is not bad. Five days, shoot the APOST course and a 4 minute drill and some limited time in a shoot house with pistols. This year I think long guns will be added to the range day. Lots of FoF. No PT test, however, you are on your feet running scenarios and training. Instructors come from several different agencies, but all are familiar with tactics taught in the class. You will get, "This is a way. Not the only way." There are rooms available onpost at the old guest house. It is no longer active, however, the National Guard has a big presence there.
Just wanted to add, sim guns and sim ammo is provided. APOST is 50 rounds and the 4 minute drill requires 10 rounds. There is also some emergency medical training in the class. Tourniquets and pressure dressings. Nothing lengthy but a good exposure.

Bangout

Amateur
We went to something. I don't really want to bitch about it because I really like the guys, but it was right up there with how things are usually done around here. Don't worry no one here will end up there so that's why I'm not calling it out. If this is our one and only school I'm back at square 1.