Barrel length for 6.5 Creedmoor, bolt gun or AR...

Adam

Vendor
Little food for thought. My current 6.5 Creed started out at a 26" because everyone told me i needed that to get the velocity i wanted. Gun shot good and once i introduced a suppressor to the system it was just to long for my taste. After cutting the barrel down to 22" and running a can i saw a loss of 23FPS overall from 26-22. I was shooting smoking fast 130VLD at the time. The gun got tighter and was just more enjoyable. If you are running a can 22" is the sweet spot and if not run a 24" if you want to take advantage of the fast High BC bullets. If you can stand a little less performance but just want a handy fun gun 18-20 are hard to beat.

tylerw02

The cans typically add a few FPS. My can adds 40ish on a 26" barrel.

The longer barrel really helps with 140s and slow powders. If you're not playing gun games, there's not much practical difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earthquake

Amateur
My Creed was 25" and I was getting ~2,835 fps with 42.9 gr. H4350 pushing 140 hybrids. I am near the end of this barrel's life, so I chopped 4" (for science!), re-crowned it and am now getting 2,767 fps out of it with 43.2 gr. H4350...the node changed. This is out of a 1:8.5 twist Bartlein. My new blank I'm about to chamber is an 8-twist. I'm going to make it a long as possible again though. I do run a suppressor most of the time. It was kind of fun running a shorty Creed at my latest match. It will be my 'yote/p-dog gun since I'm gonna get into a new action as well.

I too lament the lack of decent brass for the cartridge. I am having trouble getting my SD's down and blame the brass. Guess I'll try annealing....sigh.

earthquake

Amateur
Norma 'eh? Thanks fir the info, I'll look into it. I just started to practice with annealing. No idea if I'm doing it right though. I think my biggest probkem with Hornady brass is large variations in primer-pocket looseness. I may be running too hot. Though I am not seeing ejector marks.

However, at my last match I had a few rounds with exceptionally difficult bolt-lift. It was hot as hell.