Balor Aimpoint Micro on Glock 19: Starting a journey

Paul053

Amateur
Just go my Balor and did about 100 draws and presentations with it to learn how to acquire the dot. Super freaking easy once I got the practice in. Easier in fact than my alg 6 second mount. Took it out to the range. Once I got it zeroed I was knocking out 90s at 25 all day long. Stock recoil spring and it never failed to chamber but I did have a few failures to lock back. I shot about 200 rounds of federal Aluminum case, 100 of federal and perfecta (holy fireballs batman!) brand brass, and 50 federal hst 147 standard pressure. This was across a multiple of mags from magpul to factory glocks. Initially I thought it was my grip as I have a Xl sized hand and my thumb comes in contact with the slide. But I started shooting one hand only and it was doing the same thing. Anyone know what the weight of a stock rsa is so that I can order a lighter spring?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

simojo

Anyone know what the weight of a stock rsa is so that I can order a lighter spring?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The FB thread that K Williams posted above talks about using 15lb and 13lb recoil springs to improve function in KKM comped guns.

Based on that thread, I tried a 15lb spring with improved function, but still not flawless with 124gr+P carry ammo on a KKM comped G19 with Balor/T1.

Looks like 17lbs is the stock spring for a G19.

Which pistol, optic, and comp are you running?

simojo

I should have edited my previous post but forgot to add:

After trying the 15lb recoil spring, the 124gr+P ran fine in the gun unless I was firing the first shot with a topped off gun (IE, one in chamber on top of full magazine). About 30% of the time the gun was failing to fully seat into battery for that first round.

The same ammo ran 100% if I was only using a full mag on empty chamber or less.

Rilimva

Amateur
Just changed for a 6SM to the Balor on my gen3 G17 w/KKM comp. Ran stock RSA with the 6SM and no issues. Switching to the Balor I was aware that I was adding weight and it might not work well.

Fast forward and it wouldn't feed at all with the stock RSA, switched to ISMI w/ 11,13, and 15lbs springs. Did some limited testing one day, and only the 11lbs seemed to function properly. Did some further shooting today, and the single handed shooting was a disaster, failed to feed every other round.

This was all running Speer 115gr Lawman ammo.

So now I am thinking, tight KKM, comp, and balor all impeding the gun form functioning like a fighting gun. I can always remove the comp and go for a harder spring rate again, but anyone have any ideas what I can do to make the setup work? (as I really like the comp for its size/noise)

Rilimva

Amateur
Not meaning to hijack the thread, just give an update. I removed the comp, 115gr FMJ and 100gr frangible ran fine, tried my best to limp-wrist it, and it still worked fine. I did had some poor ejection (hitting my forehead) but gun ran at least

Joe _K

Established
I should have edited my previous post but forgot to add:

After trying the 15lb recoil spring, the 124gr+P ran fine in the gun unless I was firing the first shot with a topped off gun (IE, one in chamber on top of full magazine). About 30% of the time the gun was failing to fully seat into battery for that first round.

The same ammo ran 100% if I was only using a full mag on empty chamber or less.

What is your +1 loading procedure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk