• Team Wendy Exfil

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Crye Airframe

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Rick

Guys, I need a ballistic helmet and with all the knowledge on here I'm hoping to nail down the pros and cons of the major options. Right now i'm looking at OpsCore High cut, OpsCore Maritime, Team Wendy, and Crye. Within OpsCore, what's the preferred liner, Occdial, Lux -H, Lux-Worm?

I'm going to get the helmet now, i'll add earpro right away if helmet mounted is the best way to go, and i'll add NVDs (probably dual NVDs) in about a year. My current earpro is Sordin, but i dont mind getting a new set. What do i need to know so i can optimize the setup.

Thanks for any suggestions.

truck91

I have a Maritime and upgraded to a worm dial lux-liner. It's way more stable and comfortable than my occdial liner. And I have an airframe with team Wendy pads. They are pretty comfy over long periods of time. Both work great with ear pro (comtac IIIs) on the rails, but my maritime doesn't work as well with my gas mask (FM53). I have yet to put NVGs on either one.

Dr. No

Something I made recently:

I have not tried the lux's. The occdial is nice. I've run this rig with NODs and a rear counterweight is nice. I wish I could compare it to others, but I've not been able to put hands on many. For me it came down to a 10 month wait on the airframe or the ops core in my hands in 3 days.

KUTF

What situations/role do you plan to use it for? Since your profile is locked I can't put your question into context.

Rick

@KUTF, Primarily training that requires ballistic helmets with and without NVDs. EAG's shoot house class is on my list and so are no-light classes. Also combatives and hunting.

Since this is the first purchase in a pretty expensive list of gear, I’m trying to learn what I can to avoid annoyances down the line.

Sorry about the profile, I haven’t set it up yet. I'm a civ, so I’m not using the helmet at work, but i want to setup my stuff correctly. Thanks to truck91, dr no, and jake for the comments.

Dr. No

If I were you and I were using this in a non-work role I'd go with a bump helmet. You can still get the cool guy look but there is no reason to drop big money on a ballistic shell if you don't need it. It just adds weight and will wear you out if you're not used to wearing one. It'll save you a good 600$ that you can spend on lots of other stuff.

KUTF

Based on your needs you may be better served by getting a more traditional ballistic shell (high-cut or whatever profile you want) with a good suspension system, rather than spending premium coin on the name-brand options you listed above. Are they great helmets? Sure, but for your needs you could spend a lot less and get a comfortable ballistic helmet that offers the same level of protection...

Something I made recently:

I have not tried the lux's. The occdial is nice. I've run this rig with NODs and a rear counterweight is nice. I wish I could compare it to others, but I've not been able to put hands on many. For me it came down to a 10 month wait on the airframe or the ops core in my hands in 3 days.
I saw an HSGI belt vid by you a while back, the War belt thread could use some love BTW!