Ballistic helmet: Ops-Core or Team Wendy?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator

Frank Woods
May 25 at 10:42am

Ballistic helmet: Ops-Core or Team Wendy? I have an Ops-Core myself but I'm asking on behalf of another. I recommended the Ops-Core, but to be fair to him I figured I'd submit this to the court of public opinion.

Unlike · Comment
  • You and 3 others like this.

• Rick Ogle
    Ops-core. '
    May 25 at 10:44am · Like · 1

• Matt Landfair
    I remember the Crye was popular too.
    May 25 at 10:47am · Like

• Noah Tramposh
    Ops core has my vote
    May 25 at 10:47am · Like · 1

• Mark Wallach
    Crye Airframe all the way.
    May 25 at 10:49am · Like · 2

• Pat Rogers
    I have all three, and received both the Ops Core and Airframe when they first came out.

Subjectively, the Team Wendy Exfil helmet is much more comfortable than the others.

Your mileage may vary
    May 25 at 10:49am · Like · 7

• Noah Tramposh
    I have no experience with it. But being a taller guy helmets have always been important to me. I crack my dome on everything
    May 25 at 10:50am · Like

• Frank Woods
    I didn't ask about the AirFrame cause he wasn't, but I'll mention it to him. That's the original, the newer up armored one, or both?
    May 25 at 10:58am · Unlike · 1

• Peter Maloney
    I've got Team Wendy pads in my Ops Core. I strongly dislike the OCC dial and the Crye Airframe is too small front to back to fit my head comfortably... Like a lot of things, helmets are best selected by the individual.. and it's even better if you can try before you buy.
    May 25 at 11:00am · Like

• Matthew A Jacques
    Team Wendy. I don't have any time under a Crye, but I do under everything else on the market.
    The TW helmet is the most comfortable helmet and suspension system available. I was fortunate enough to be asked to tour their facility a few months ago. What I can talk about is the amount of TBI testing that takes place there for ballistic and bump stuff (and not just the arenas we play in).
    That coupled with the bump/ballistic ratings of the EXFIL, I will only by TW.
    There is a reason why others procure the suspension system, but other helmets will still fail the Army and Marine Corps TBI testing.
    May 25 at 11:00am · Like · 3

• John Chapman
    I have many many hours under all three types. Team Wendy gets my vote.
    May 25 at 11:03am · Like · 3

• Pat Rogers
    My Team Wendy Exfil

May 25 at 11:04am · Like · 4

• Aaron Williams
    I've run opscore maritime and airframe. Both are good systems the worm on the ops is comfortable but every guy I know who has run the Wendy came back and told me when my ops was ganjed by the TSA that Wendy is the most comfortable bucket they have run
    May 25 at 11:04am · Like

• Pat Rogers

May 25 at 11:04am · Like · 2

• John Chapman
    Team Wendy has the edge in comfort, balance, weight bearing and distribution, and sizing.
    May 25 at 11:05am · Like · 1

• Pat Rogers
    When we retired the M1 helmet, i thought the PASGT was a head vagina
    When we went to the Gallet (precursor to the MICH) i thought that was a head vagina.
    When we went to the MICH i thought that was a head vagina.
    When i got the OpssCore i thought that was a head vagina
    When i got the Airframe, i thought that was a head vagina.

And i think this is the head vagina...

The Team Wendy Exfil helmet has the benefit of being newer and taking advantage of bew technology.

But they are all top shelf helmets
    May 25 at 11:19am · Edited · Like · 6

• Mark Wallach
    I use the airframe and I have an Opscore, between the two I like the airframe even though it is heavier. It is far more comfortable to me. I should mention that I have Team Wendy Pads in the Airframe. I'd love to check out the Exfil though. Haven't gotten the opportunity yet.
    May 25 at 11:10am · Edited · Like

• Frank Woods
    Pat... please define head vagina for us laymen around here.
    May 25 at 11:16am · Like · 3

• Matt James
    They Crye not in consideration?
    May 25 at 11:18am · Like

• Pat Rogers
    I'm sorry Frank- did they not cover this in HS??...smile emoticon

OK- when i put my head into the hlmet it feels like i am in a warm, comfortable orifice...
    May 25 at 11:21am · Like · 11

• Frank Woods
    I figured as much, just wanted to clarify you weren't talking about some new shit.
    May 25 at 11:25am · Like

• Pat Rogers
    Sort' like in 1965 when we shicnned th brown leather rough side out combat boots for the Jungle Boots.

Foot vgina's...smile emoticon
    May 25 at 11:26am · Like · 1

• Frank Woods
    So "X Vagina" = A comfortable article of wearable item.

Learning = Occurred.
    May 25 at 11:27am · Like · 5

• Joe Fas
    IE....My lowa zephyrs are foot vaginas.....
    May 25 at 11:29am · Like

• Pat Rogers
    Pretty much Frank...
    May 25 at 11:30am · Like · 1

• Tore Haugli
    Team Wendy Exfil, or get the Cam-fit and pad upgrade if you go with an Ops Core.
    May 25 at 11:30am · Like

• Pat Rogers
    Yeah, i replaced ny OpsCore suspension system with a Tean Wendy pad systen...smile emoticon
    May 25 at 11:32am · Like

• Frank Woods
    My Ops-Core has the OCC dial or whichever it's called. I find it plenty comfortable, I haven't had a time where I thought it was uncomfortable.
    May 25 at 11:33am · Like

• Pat Rogers
    Frank- have you used it in a prone firing position??
    Some- including me- had difficulty with it
    May 25 at 11:35am · Like · 1

• Frank Woods
    If your boots are foot vaginas... does that mean you're pussy footing around?

May 25 at 11:36am · Like · 9

• Frank Woods
    I'll prone out with it when I get home from work and report my findings.
    May 25 at 11:36am · Like

• Josh Bos
    My Airframe is very comfortable and I actually notice a difference between it and other helmets in the heat/blazing sun.
    May 25 at 11:38am · Like · 1

• Tore Haugli
    The Occ-Dial offers very good stability, especially when wearing NODs, but when you tighten the band you get a fully circumferential pressure that can lead to head aches when wearing the helmet for a prolonged time - been there, done that.

The cam-fit...See More
    May 25 at 11:44am · Like · 1

• Roland Deschaintull
    OCC dial is shit. For all the reasons mentioned, it interferes with the ability lift your head when in the prone, ESPECIALLY when wearing a neck gator or scarf.

One time at band camp I was hurling towards the earth with 20 of my closest friends in the...See More
    May 25 at 12:47pm · Edited · Like · 6

• Blake Ottosen
    I pulled the occ dial out of my maritime fast ops core and replaced them with the team wendy (cam lock maybe? The one with the boa dial) i found it more comfortable and more stable than the standard ops core liner setup. I dont have issues going prone or other non standard positions with the tm wendy liner.
    May 25 at 1:21pm · Like

• Rob Curtis
    The only gripe I have with my Ops-Core is the big monolithic forehead pad (tampon). It will absorb a lot of sweat, at first, keeping it out of your eyes; but after a while of hiking/high intensity movement my head vagina gets excited and squirts. It gets messy.
    May 25 at 1:54pm · Like · 4

• Matt Landfair
    I did some mod to that front Styrofoam in the ops core that helped...
    May 25 at 2:16pm · Like

• Frank Woods
    Elaborate please
    May 25 at 2:19pm · Like

• Matt Landfair
    I added a slim pad made by ops core I think, that was intended to be used with the dial. Applied it directly to the Styrofoam
    May 25 at 2:20pm · Like

• James Robert Smith
    I have no experience with the Exfil helmet but I am a fan of Team wendy's pad system and I think that the H-nape by Ops-Core is the bees knees if you plan to wear a Helmet loaded with NOD's and lights all day.
    May 25 at 2:47pm · Like

• Jay Bennett
    I dig team Wendy but I can't afford either and my noggin ain't quite worth that type of cash lol it's mich life for me
    May 25 at 3:14pm · Like

• Frank Woods
    Okay so I just strapped on my Ops-Core helmet, tightened the dial, proned out with my AR and looked through my optic.
    The front rim of the helmet barely obscured the upper corner/1:00 area of my sight picture but it came nowhere close to the optic reticle itself. Works for me....See More
    May 25 at 3:19pm · Edited · Like · 1

• Matt James
    Add armor, esp one with a collar. The H Nape on the Airframe makes this a non issue, helmet stays

Either way, all three will do good things at protection vs comfort over the ACH. Specifically when the all roughly weigh half depending on size as the ACH. My Large AF weighs 2 lbs and is much better distribution weight wise and better ventilated.

Still better then the fucking PASGT.
    May 25 at 4:53pm · Like

• Matt James
    If you have a neck and actual shoulders the OCC Dial is a no go in the prone.
    May 25 at 4:53pm · Like

• Frank Woods
    I do have a neck and shoulders, but only a plate carrier, no collar.
    May 25 at 4:57pm · Like

• Matt James
    Im talking like Gimli the dwarf kinda neck and shoulders. Im literally a stump with legs.
    May 25 at 5:08pm · Like

• Frank Woods
    ...sorry brah
    May 25 at 5:10pm · Like

• Jonathan Davis
    So not to derail the thread, but does anyone know if they make a dome in XXL? I'm a1/4" past the cut off of most manufacturers XL size.
    May 25 at 6:04pm · Like

• Aaron Williams
    Use xl and get slim pads I wear a 7 3/4 no issues
    May 25 at 6:28pm · Like

• Jonathan Davis
    I'm a solid size 8 Aaron Williams. Ironically that's the first time I've ever said that to a man. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
    May 25 at 6:33pm · Like

Longeye

Established
Before last week, I would have said either. Then IT happened. Now, the contenders are OpsCore, Crye, Gentex and Revision.

It is not the last word, but I have had good experience with my Gentex HST helmet with Ops Core rails, H suspension, XXX pads, and Wilcox NVG mount.