BAE RBAV

spectre3

Does anyone still use these or have they been replaced with newer, sexier things? I came across one for sale yesterday that has all the pouches included I'd ever need. I remember being issued one ( perks of being in USACAPOC) before a deployment that ended up not happening and loving it. Even with soft armor and plates it didn't seem any worse than most plate carriers in regards to bulk and movement restriction. However since any use of armor( personally bought since we're a private agency) now is in LEO scenarios where I already have a vest on under my uniform shirt, I can't help but wonder if I would hate it now and if my nostalgia and cheap bastard ways are clouding my though process. The RBAV, old armor panels that I won't use and assorted pouches are less than a new Esstac Daeodon...which is what I had been planning to go with up to this point.

HighTower

Currently have an RBAV, and while I love it as a BALCS platform, I can NOT recommend it as a platform for anything other than low altitude operations (I live at 8500+ Altitude) or short DA/SWAT activity.

All the BALCS coverage is cool if you are dealing with explosions or 44 Magnum threats from multiple directions, but for day to day activity I'd have to recommend the VS LPAC cut or a PC with extended soft armor options (MBAV cut or non pals/lader PCs.)

It is an awesome carrier but BALCS is going to be a burden in alot of situations, hence the evolution from PASGT coverage to S&S precision level plate only coverage.

It would be cool for nostalgia purposes...but if you do not have an immediate and intended purpose for it, I'd recommend exercising fiscal restraint. BALCS was not intended to be concealed, and most carriers (RBAVs included) would be a horrible objective choice to do so... unless you plan on open war at low altitude, save money to buy a purpose built armor system.

I currently own an RBAV, MBAV and a Weesatch and have experienced quite a few armor systems and have alot of free time on my hands, so if you want to bounce ideas around, let me know.

patriot_man

I thought the BAE RBAV was a good armor carrier. I agree with HighTower, BALCS is great if you're at risk for IED or in a stationary position. It all depends on your needs.

HighTower

@patriot_man I honestly thought the RBAV was the evolutionary end of BALCS till I became aware of First Spear (FS) Seige series and laser cut panels... also FS BALCS cut is different then what would be in a RBAV... the bottom edge is higher, and the wings are different. SAS armor is a wealth of knowledge on the exact difference.

Final summation; RBAV dope for what it is, but as Patriot_Man said, static or high dynamic threats.)