??Attaching tape switch Troy AK Battlerail

Hizzie

Hey guys,

I wanna try running my scout light a little further out and at 1 o'clock. Handguard will be the Troy AK Battle Rail. I wanted to use a SF tape switch but not sure where and how attaching the switch would work best.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hizzie

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
Which switch do you have? The newer dual function SR switches can attach on a rail and it has points at the front and rear where you can run zip ties to help old it in place. If that's the switch you have, I'd get a rail section added where you want the switch and use that.

SF SR07-2.jpg

Another option may be to use this mount made by Ergo. I have zero experience with it and I am in now way recommending it, but I do know it exists. It may be something to research further.

dscn1209.jpg

If you had an MLOK rail, Magpul makes a mount for the Surefire switches that mounts to your rail but that doesn't help you much with your current setup.

One other method I've used in the past was to super glue some industrial grade velcro to the rail/handguard and then do the same on the tape switch. Make sure to clean and de-grease the surfaces first and then you can apply it.
One issue is the velcro doesn't hold it as secure as I'd like and after being in the elements (dust, mud, dirt etc) the velcro looses its grip. You may have to replace it periodically. If you use a quality velcro and super glue and prep the surface it holds up fairly well.

Hopefully that helps.

Ike

Hizzie

Thanks Ike. It's the plain vanilla pressure switch. Handguards are railess. I guess I'll be using zip ties.

W

Whootsinator

I attempted the Velcro method on a Surefire ST07 tape switch and found it severely lacking. It didn't hold well enough, was crooked, activation felt squishy with the Velcro underneath the switch, etc. I looked at various mounts on the market at the time but couldn't find anything that I liked AND would fit where I needed it to fit.

A Magpul soft ladder rail cover I had lying around was cut to the length of the tape switch. I traced out the outline of the switch, and hollowed out a cavity for the switch to rest in. This took a fair bit of trial, taking away a small amount of material before testing the fit and continuing. Once the switch fit I used super glue to hold it all together. This being a professional forum ghetto DIY methods aren't typically looked on with love and admiration, but it is at least as secure as the Velcro attachment that is considered acceptable. I've been using this set up for about two years now in snow, rain, temps ranging from 10 degrees to 100 degrees, without issue, including three or four training courses and two hunting seasons. Though this particular rifle isn't a work gun, I'd use it as one if I could. Even given a COTS tape switch rail mount, I don't believe I'd switch from this method as it is the lowest profile rail mounting method I've seen so far.

Unfortunately this won't be as low profile on your hand guard if you have to attach a rail section to make it happen, but if all else fails this is an option or a starting point to build on.

Surefire Tape Switch Mounting small.jpg