Attaching lead to belt or armor

I'm looking for a way to temporarily but securely attach a lead to either my body armor or belt when I need to be hands free for extended downs (swat perimeter etc)

I have tried two belt mounted solutions where a bungee lead attaches to some kind of quick release mechanism that's attached to the belt. Problem is these quick release mechanisms have been very bulky.

I.e.
https://www.velsyst.com/tactical-lanyard.html

Looking for other solutions. Might try something as simple as a carabiner on my belt or vest.

I would have to agree with KCBRUIN, although I admittedly don't totally understand your need/application. I'm just imagining all sorts of bad scenarios that would stem from being anchored to a dog, like, aiming in on a bad guy in a judgement shoot scenario and then having the dog jerk or something. I dunno. Like I said, I don't understand the application, but I'd say this would be a huge "no-no" for me in patrol situations. If I've ever needed that little bit of psychological reassurance that comes from knowing the dog is anchored, I confess that I've stepped on a lead,or knelt on a lead a time or two while on a perimeter or something, but those times were mainly when I was a brand new handler and *gasp* I didn't entirely trust the dog to do what I said. If there's a need for this then please enlighten me because I genuinely don't understand, but am always interested in new TTPs.

My unit, 7 full time handlers, have recently started using the bungee type leads when integrated with SWAT. In that environment the PSD is my responsibility and the lead adds a little extra security in the event it turns to a gun fight or something else that the dog stays with me. In the SWAT environment the dog is either searching, or on lead with me. After years of leaving the dog on a down in front of team movement we've stopped doing this after having a heart to heart with ourselves and realizing we don't really gain much by doing so. The leaving the dog on a down also opens up the possibility of accidental bites on team members and the suspect in the event they decide to surrender. Even the cleanest of dogs have a bad day and leashing the dog after each room is cleared diminishes the chance of a bad day.

The velocity systems lanyard mentioned above is good. I've used I but didn't like the quick detach. I use one from K-9 Tactical Gear that is considerably cheaper. The bungee helps soften the jerk of dog movement as opposed to a carabiner with your normal waiste lead. We are only using this set up when working with SWAT and I don't think it would be appropriate for patrol. If in a SWAT environment I'm having to shootwhile I have my PSD I'm going to have to have an ass kicking of the team guys.

https://www.k9tacticalgear.com/product-page/1766398705

I agree with you on the bad days. Valid point. With the application you're describing, the bungee makes more sense than not and I guess I'd rather have a purpose built apparatus than a homemade solution. Even so, still not sure I like the idea of being tied to the dog. Thanks for the info tho - appreciated.

While I don't like being tied to a dog either, accidental bites suck. I don't like not having my rifle when deploying my PSD on an entry but it's something I've accepted too. When the biting of a SWAT cop happens, it's been my experience they quickly want to use another tool. My agency has a fairly progressive tactical section (SWAT/K9) and we use a PSD on everything that isn't hostage rescue or some other unique situation which woud prevent the use of a dog. The team is used to dogs as we train and deploy constantly. But in those times when accidental bites have occurred, we seem to take a few steps back and everyone gets a little apprehensive around the dog.

Anything we can do to lessen that apprehensiveness or help to lessen the likelihood of someone being zipped by a dog that shouldn't is our responsibility as handlers. There have been SWAT cops around the country who have taken an accidental bite and had to be medically retired or removed from tactical. That is a nightmare scenario and one which I've never encountered however the potential is always there. It's been my experience, over the last year of using one of these, that the team around you feel more confident they won't be bitten when the dog is secure.

Prior to implementing this, one of our cleanest and most experienced dogs was on a down outside of the bearcat. A chemical munitions plan was being put into place and tri-chambers were being deployed inside of a residence. Upon breaking glass to deploy the munitions, the dog broke and was inbound on the team deploying the gas. The handler was able to do a call-off but it was an eye opening experience. The thought that a super obedient dog would do that opened the eyes of those of us with a little dirtier dog that trouble can happen anytime.

We multitask terribly. There are times I want to have both hands free and still have physical control of my dog while I tend to something else. Obedience is king I get it but it's still a dog. Predictble is preventable right?

Examples above hit it. How about taking a rest hiking in to an erad op? Kicking up against a tree while you eat. Sitting on a long stale perimeter...What if you need to self aid or render aid to another?

I'll probably use the bungee leads from the two kits I've tried and just run a carabiner thru my belt or webbing for now.