ATEi or ATOM

user12358

Where have you gotten this information from? It is interesting and conflicts with what Aaron has found which he states in a few videos.

From shooting various types of ammo through compensated handguns. I have no personal experience with the 417 on a G17 but I have a significant amount of rounds on a G19 with KKM comp, I have shot a decent amount through a TBRCi comp on a G17 that is a rough analog for a 417 (comp on a barrel made for a suppressor), and a buddy and I have a pet project where we try and see how fast we can get .357 SIG going from a G22 that is sporting a KKM barrel and comp, as well as some time on a .460 Rowland 1911.

I would take everything said by a shooter sponsored by a company about that companies products with a grain of salt. I watched the 417 video he did and found nothing remotely close to saying that during his 7 minute infomercial that can be found on the 417 product page. But at the end of the day you don't have to take my word for it, shoot 10 rounds back to back with 115 gr Blazer and then a 124 gr +P HST and you will see that while the compensator absolutely helps it is not some magical cure all for recoil and muzzle flip, both being separate characteristics from one another.

user12358

Fire 4 Effect will cut your OEM slide for ATOM plates. I believe they are one of the only companies authorized by Unity to do this.

Last time I checked Fire 4 Effect, Robar, and L&M were the only people that Unity endorsed for cutting their slides. I'm not sure if Robar still offers this service but L&M did as far as I know.

Mitch1993

Amateur
From shooting various types of ammo through compensated handguns. I have no personal experience with the 417 on a G17 but I have a significant amount of rounds on a G19 with KKM comp, I have shot a decent amount through a TBRCi comp on a G17 that is a rough analog for a 417 (comp on a barrel made for a suppressor), and a buddy and I have a pet project where we try and see how fast we can get .357 SIG going from a G22 that is sporting a KKM barrel and comp, as well as some time on a .460 Rowland 1911.

I would take everything said by a shooter sponsored by a company about that companies products with a grain of salt. I watched the 417 video he did and found nothing remotely close to saying that during his 7 minute infomercial that can be found on the 417 product page. But at the end of the day you don't have to take my word for it, shoot 10 rounds back to back with 115 gr Blazer and then a 124 gr +P HST and you will see that while the compensator absolutely helps it is not some magical cure all for recoil and muzzle flip, both being separate characteristics from one another.

Hmm I see. So then, with all the mods and other guys who carry a Roland Special, are they all just carrying +P target ammo you think? Since a comp won't help with any +P defensive ammo.

Mitch1993

Amateur
I can't comment on any comps besides the KKM. I am surprised that they experienced issues with Fiocchi 124 which I've found to be hot as hell.

I try not to post a lot here because I don't know shit about shit but I'm starting to get to know this gun setup. I know this isn't a huge sample size, especially on some of the brands but I think it's decent enough that I've figured out what the gun likes and what it takes to run it.

I shot a pretty good number of different ball ammos looking for one that had a similar POI to my chosen carry ammo. I'm probably getting close to 4000 rounds into this slide and I have not had any reliability problems or funkyness happening. My prime directive going into this space blaster project was if it detracts at all from reliability it is a no go.

All comments are with all stock Gen 5 Springs. Most numbers are rounded to 100. If it says 100 I bought 100 rounds and shot most of it but didn't continue shooting because the POI was to far off at 25y from 124 +P HST for my liking. Also some of this was shot during "No Clean November" where I was about 1100 rounds deep without cleaning.

900ish Rounds Federal HST 124 +P: No issues, KKM barrel really likes this load.
300ish Rounds Federal HST 147 +P: No Issues, shot very well from KKM barrel also.
100 Rounds Speer Gold Dot 124 +P: No Issues
100 Rounds Speer Gold Dot 147: No Issues (did not activate comp very much).
500 Rounds Winchest 124 NATO: No issues, lock back on the oldest of the old Gen3 mags.
800 Rounds Blazer Brass 124: Sometimes does not lock back on my old gen 3 mags (yea I know throw them in the trash). Runs fine on Gen 5 G17 w/ and w/o Arredondo +5 Basepad.
700 Rounds Federal AE 124g: Unicorn fart light load, I can feel the barrel locking up as it goes into battery. If my thumb is riding on the slide it does not lock back old mags or +5s, sometimes will not lock back standard cap gen 5 g17 mag.
200 Rounds Speer Lawman 124g: No Issues
100 Rounds Fiocchi 124g: No issues (did not test with old mags)
100 Rounds Fiocchi 115g: No Issues (did not test with old mags)
100 Rounds S&B 115g: No Issues (did not test with old mags)
200 Rounds Federal RTP 115: No Issues (did not test with old mags)

The 124 American Eagle is by FAR the weakest of all these ammos I shot and the only thing it does is not lock back on an empty mag. I do have a 15# recoil spring I got to mess around with and this does lock back all of the weaker ammo even on old mags. I don't use it very often because I prefer the recoil profile of the stock RSA.

All of that said, I think you'd be served well by either the 417 or KKM. One thing to consider is slide to comp fit if you plan on using it in a duty holster. I cannot use my KKM comp with a Gen 5 gun in a Safariland because of the gap between the bullnose slide and comp. I imagine that would still be an issue with the 417 but Cowan would probably be able to speak definitively to that. I spoke with KKM recently and a Gen 5 contoured comp is coming out the end of this year or early 2019.

How was your muzzle rise reduction with the duty loads like Gold dot and such?

user12358

I would say to be fair, the 417 product page really doesn't say much of anything.

What does the lack of information on the 417 product page have to do with me saying that Aaron Cowan made a 7 minute video explaining their new product? I only included the fact that it was on the product page to make it clear that I wasn't saying that he was doing anything underhanded or shady and certainly doesn't try to hide his affiliation with Agency. You keep quoting it like it is some unbiased scientific test.

Hmm I see. So then, with all the mods and other guys who carry a Roland Special, are they all just carrying +P target ammo you think? Since a comp won't help with any +P defensive ammo.

Comps do help with all +P ammunition, and can't tell if it is a FMJ or an HST or a Gold Dot as you seem to imply. They won't make any +P ammo, range or defensive, feel like underpowered 115 gr but they will tame muzzle rise on a hotter round. Feel free to ask what ever authority figure you wish to verify this, I'm sure anyone that has actually shot a comped gun would be happy to continue to second what I have said given that some people have already done so. The reason that everyone uses 124 NATO or +P for their compensated practice ammo is because it actually feels roughly like their duty ammo. If comps just made defensive ammo feel like 115 gr range ammo why wouldn't everyone just practice with that?

Mitch1993

Amateur
shoot 10 rounds back to back with 115 gr Blazer and then a 124 gr +P HST and you will see that while the compensator absolutely helps it

And that's what I'm going for. I never have thought or said it will be magic. Ill take any advantage I can get with higher pressure ammo. Also, my apologies on misreading part of your post. I was reading too fast and thought you were saying defensive ammo will have no benefit. I see that's not what you meant. Thanks for all the help guy.

Mitch1993

Amateur
What does the lack of information on the 417 product page have to do with me saying that Aaron Cowan made a 7 minute video explaining their new product? I only included the fact that it was on the product page to make it clear that I wasn't saying that he was doing anything underhanded or shady and certainly doesn't try to hide his affiliation with Agency. You keep quoting it like it is some unbiased scientific test.

Okay let's reign it back in a little. What I gathered from you talking about Aaron's video was that you were stating that what Aaron said in the video did not match anything on the 417 page. I simply pointed out that the 417 page really doesn't say anything other than what it is and what guns it will fit. To me, it sounded like you were making the claim that because Aaron's video didn't match what the product page said, that his video and experience is somehow suspect purely because of this fact. If Aaron says a bunch of information about the performance of the comp in his video, and it's not on the product page because the product page doesn't really say anything about performance, that doesn't make it suspect. It just means that Agency didn't post any information about how the comp will perform. Aaron shared his experience and testing, he did not contradict what the agency page said.

djsticky

Amateur
How was your muzzle rise reduction with the duty loads like Gold dot and such?

It's good, it spoils me. The barrel groups well, my light stays clean, it makes the empty cases come out and the new cases go in.

I can't quantify it but you'll be happy for sure.

djsticky

Amateur
Hahaha, and isn't that what we all want. Good to know, thanks for the input.

No worries. Honestly get what you like, if you end up not liking it you can sell it and not take to big of a hit.

I think you'd be fine with either one. Folks say the 417 works great and I'm sure it does. The KKM works great also. Is one slightly more effective then the other? Perhaps. Can a guy without thousands of rounds on each tell the difference? Probably not.

I chose the KKM because it seemed to be the most "known quantity" of all the choices. I wanted something that would work without dicking around with springs and I got that. It does somewhat limit your ammo selection but not to the extent that a lot of people make it out to (my experience). To me the biggest change and frustration came not from the comp but from the match barrel. I had to do some testing to find ball ammo that had a POI that was not significantly deviated from my zero at 25y and out. Is that super important? Probably not, if you do most of your shooting inside 25 you can feed it whatever it will run and not tell much of a difference. In the end I do most of my group shooting with carry ammo anyway because it's higher quality and will group better then ball so it's somewhat of a non factor. I do like that I can go shoot a match with ball and know it's shooting to my sights if some longer distance targets present themselves.

Wake27

FWIW I’ve only used weak 115 gr ammo with my KKM. Mostly because it’s hard to get much else where I’m at, but I found that the Federal Range Target Practice stuff worked very well. Blazer Brass is more finicky, but still cycles more often than not. Stock recoil spring, but has a few thousand rounds on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk