ATEi or ATOM

Mitch1993

Amateur
I'm going to turn my Gen 4 G34 into a 17 and an RMR is going to be part of that process. I can purchase an OEM Glock slide from Big Tex and send that off to Doug or I can look at just getting a Unity Tactical ATOM. Pricing is looking about the same all things being equal. I personally like the idea of the slide being OEM and having Doug's amazing work but I like that the ATOM is purchase, plug and play assuming it's factory reliable.

Need opinions, thanks guys.

danno762

Amateur
Quantified Performance
What's your reason for wanting a 17 instead of a 34? I've no experience with ATOM but can attest to Doug's work. One difference will be BUIS placement, ATOM looks like front BUIS only, ATEi can do front or rear. I used front BUIS for a few years and then switched to rear which I prefer as I think it's easier to only have to look through glass for your front sight and let your background processes see the rear sight.

mitch_b

I personally have a 17 that I replaced the slide on with an Atom Slide. The mounting system works great an I have had no issues with it. However I would not balk at getting some of Doug's work done either. I started with the Atom because I wanted to have an iron sighted slide and a dot slide for various competition and training. It was also my foray into the dot world and I am now hooked. I think starting with an Atom slide has a lot of benefits to it. Being able to try out multiple dot set ups and the futureproofing the system is really nice (AKA the ACRO). I also started of with a 6.5 moa RMR type 2 but will probably be moving that over to a Glock 20 for bears as I'm moving to alaska, so not having a gun specifically milled for any optic was a big perk since I didn't know what I didn't know. I am now moving toward either a 1 moa or 3.25 moa here shortly. As mentioned in danno's post I really have no preference in back up sights, but i believe its mostly person to person on that, if you could try 2 guns out in both configurations, you could see for yourself if you have a preference.

Wake27

Lulz @ crew served Glock. I made a thread about the ATOM slide on M4carbine.net. I’ll try to remember to link it but I’m slammed right now so no promises that it’ll be fast. Bottom line, I did ATOM first and then Doug. I’m much happier with my ATEi slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danno762

Amateur
Quantified Performance
Obviously a you-do-you scenario, but prior to the expenditure you might ask someone with experience on both for their opinion on the comparison and ROI of the change. Maybe ask Steve Fisher, he has some Agency guns. Saw that Chuck Pressburg is planning a KKM comp 19 vs 34 comparison because they're so close in performance. With the 417 being less effective than a KKM comp (see link below), will the 417/17 combo actually be better/shoot flatter than a 34? I don't know but somebody does. The comp mounted front sight makes sense for an iron sight gun, but on an RDS gun where irons are secondary, it may be a questionable ROI.

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/2018-king-pistol-comps-glock-compensator-review/

If it were me, I'd send the 34 slide to ATEi and be done with it.

Joe _K

Established
AETI all the way. Or RCS Balor. If you get an ATOM slide with a cut to spec dovetail, and a cut to spec mount you’ll probably be fine. Or, if you’re like me, you could end up with getting 2 different replacement mounts sent to you before deciding to pass that problem on to somebody else.

Also I’d encourage you to try and shoot a Gen 5 34 and a 45 before deciding what you want to do. A comped Glock 45 with an RCS Balor would be .

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭2:5‬

Mitch1993

Amateur
Obviously a you-do-you scenario, but prior to the expenditure you might ask someone with experience on both for their opinion on the comparison and ROI of the change. Maybe ask Steve Fisher, he has some Agency guns. Saw that Chuck Pressburg is planning a KKM comp 19 vs 34 comparison because they're so close in performance. With the 417 being less effective than a KKM comp (see link below), will the 417/17 combo actually be better/shoot flatter than a 34? I don't know but somebody does. The comp mounted front sight makes sense for an iron sight gun, but on an RDS gun where irons are secondary, it may be a questionable ROI.

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/2018-king-pistol-comps-glock-compensator-review/

If it were me, I'd send the 34 slide to ATEi and be done with it.

So 417 isn't as good as KKM huh. Not going to lie I like the 417 for its looks, I know looks don't matter but I do want the more effective comp, assuming reliability is there.

Mitch1993

Amateur
AETI all the way. Or RCS Balor. If you get an ATOM slide with a cut to spec dovetail, and a cut to spec mount you’ll probably be fine. Or, if you’re like me, you could end up with getting 2 different replacement mounts sent to you before deciding to pass that problem on to somebody else.

Also I’d encourage you to try and shoot a Gen 5 34 and a 45 before deciding what you want to do. A comped Glock 45 with an RCS Balor would be .

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭2:5‬

I did hear of Atom plates having issues and it did worry me. I'm wanting a 17 with a comp because I've heard some guys on here (Cowan I believe) talk about the 17 being a little flatter with comps than a 19x or 45. Plus I don't want to buy a new gun and then have that sent off.

Love your signature btw. God bless.

Mitch1993

Amateur

It looks like the author encountered reliability issues with the KKM Comp. The 417 may be slightly less effective but if reliability is there then I'd be more down for that. I know Chuck and all those guys run the KKM and maybe they found the secret sauce. But, I know Cowan did testing on the Agency and found it reliable across many ammo pressures and weight grains. Especially when compared to bare muzzle, I'm guessing the KKM and Agency are hard to tell apart. Especially being that most comps aren't even activated properly when using 115gr. If there is a slight edge with a comp compared to a stock muzzle, then I think we have to look at how much slighter of an edge the KKM has over the 417. This is coming from a guy who has shot neither, but if we look at the ransom rest images in the article, that's the conclusion I draw.

user12358

I know Chuck and all those guys run the KKM and maybe they found the secret sauce.

The secret sauce is putting the KKM in a OEM or in spec slide and running 124 NATO or heavier ammo through it on a stock RSA. If you want to feed it some flavor of 115 gr or 124 gr range ammo then you would be far better served by a Glock 34 as far as reliability is concerned. The comp is robbing energy and as such needs hot ammo to be effective and in some cases, just to cycle properly. If you don't run hot ammo exclusively, I wouldn't bother with a comp on a serious gun.

As far as the original question, you get to customize an ATEI slide more to your liking, if you are into that, and you will get a lower and more secure mount getting Doug to cut your slide to your RMR. The Atom slide will give you a more future proof design that will be able to accept a new optic that comes out for $50 instead of a whole new slide, assuming the new optic it is a new footprint.

Mitch1993

Amateur
The secret sauce is putting the KKM in a OEM or in spec slide and running 124 NATO or heavier ammo through it on a stock RSA. If you want to feed it some flavor of 115 gr or 124 gr range ammo then you would be far better served by a Glock 34 as far as reliability is concerned. The comp is robbing energy and as such needs hot ammo to be effective and in some cases, just to cycle properly. If you don't run hot ammo exclusively, I wouldn't bother with a comp on a serious gun.

I agree. But, I do like the idea of my +P defensive ammo having a similar feel to my range ammo, and like I had said, Aaron Cowan has tested the 417 and it runs with even 115gr range ammo, it just doesn't provide much help with that.

user12358

I do like the idea of my +P defensive ammo having a similar feel to my range ammo

The only way you are going to get this is if you use a NATO or +P spec range ammo. No comp is going to make your +P defensive ammo feel like underpowered range ammo, just to temper expectations.

The reason that every comp in that test falls short of the KKM's recoil mitigation is simply that every other comp is designed to fit onto a 1/2x28 threaded barrel that is cut for suppressor usage where as the KKM is going on a barrel that is cut for a compensator which allows it to have much more internal volume. If you want a compensator then by all means get one and you will probably be best served by something like a 417 if you are ever going to use it with downloaded range ammo because it being less effective at reducing muzzle rise means it can function with weaker ammo.

djsticky

Amateur
It looks like the author encountered reliability issues with the KKM Comp. The 417 may be slightly less effective but if reliability is there then I'd be more down for that. I know Chuck and all those guys run the KKM and maybe they found the secret sauce. But, I know Cowan did testing on the Agency and found it reliable across many ammo pressures and weight grains. Especially when compared to bare muzzle, I'm guessing the KKM and Agency are hard to tell apart. Especially being that most comps aren't even activated properly when using 115gr. If there is a slight edge with a comp compared to a stock muzzle, then I think we have to look at how much slighter of an edge the KKM has over the 417. This is coming from a guy who has shot neither, but if we look at the ransom rest images in the article, that's the conclusion I draw.

I can't comment on any comps besides the KKM. I am surprised that they experienced issues with Fiocchi 124 which I've found to be hot as hell.

I try not to post a lot here because I don't know shit about shit but I'm starting to get to know this gun setup. I know this isn't a huge sample size, especially on some of the brands but I think it's decent enough that I've figured out what the gun likes and what it takes to run it.

I shot a pretty good number of different ball ammos looking for one that had a similar POI to my chosen carry ammo. I'm probably getting close to 4000 rounds into this slide and I have not had any reliability problems or funkyness happening. My prime directive going into this space blaster project was if it detracts at all from reliability it is a no go.

All comments are with all stock Gen 5 Springs. Most numbers are rounded to 100. If it says 100 I bought 100 rounds and shot most of it but didn't continue shooting because the POI was to far off at 25y from 124 +P HST for my liking. Also some of this was shot during "No Clean November" where I was about 1100 rounds deep without cleaning.

900ish Rounds Federal HST 124 +P: No issues, KKM barrel really likes this load.
300ish Rounds Federal HST 147 +P: No Issues, shot very well from KKM barrel also.
100 Rounds Speer Gold Dot 124 +P: No Issues
100 Rounds Speer Gold Dot 147: No Issues (did not activate comp very much).
500 Rounds Winchest 124 NATO: No issues, lock back on the oldest of the old Gen3 mags.
800 Rounds Blazer Brass 124: Sometimes does not lock back on my old gen 3 mags (yea I know throw them in the trash). Runs fine on Gen 5 G17 w/ and w/o Arredondo +5 Basepad.
700 Rounds Federal AE 124g: Unicorn fart light load, I can feel the barrel locking up as it goes into battery. If my thumb is riding on the slide it does not lock back old mags or +5s, sometimes will not lock back standard cap gen 5 g17 mag.
200 Rounds Speer Lawman 124g: No Issues
100 Rounds Fiocchi 124g: No issues (did not test with old mags)
100 Rounds Fiocchi 115g: No Issues (did not test with old mags)
100 Rounds S&B 115g: No Issues (did not test with old mags)
200 Rounds Federal RTP 115: No Issues (did not test with old mags)

The 124 American Eagle is by FAR the weakest of all these ammos I shot and the only thing it does is not lock back on an empty mag. I do have a 15# recoil spring I got to mess around with and this does lock back all of the weaker ammo even on old mags. I don't use it very often because I prefer the recoil profile of the stock RSA.

All of that said, I think you'd be served well by either the 417 or KKM. One thing to consider is slide to comp fit if you plan on using it in a duty holster. I cannot use my KKM comp with a Gen 5 gun in a Safariland because of the gap between the bullnose slide and comp. I imagine that would still be an issue with the 417 but Cowan would probably be able to speak definitively to that. I spoke with KKM recently and a Gen 5 contoured comp is coming out the end of this year or early 2019.

djsticky

Amateur
The only way you are going to get this is if you use a NATO or +P spec range ammo. No comp is going to make your +P defensive ammo feel like underpowered range ammo, just to temper expectations.

Seconded. My observation with a comp is range ammo (of any type I've tried) = More Flip less "kick". +P Ammo = Less Flip more "kick"

Mitch1993

Amateur

Where have you gotten this information from? It is interesting and conflicts with what Aaron has found which he states in a few videos.

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
34 with comp will have ammo sensitivity and won't function correctly unless you change to a lighter recoil spring (even with specific ammo).

I shot Matt's gun, and even with 147 +p HSTs you still needed a solid grip to keep a comped 34 running. Sample size of one there, but I shot another one with similar issues.

range_dude

Amateur
Fire 4 Effect will cut your OEM slide for ATOM plates. I believe they are one of the only companies authorized by Unity to do this.