Asking for recommendations on magnifier with flip-out mount for AR 15

Barry B

I have a basic AR-15 with a Trijicon Tri-Power (red chevron) co-witnessed to backup Iron Sights (stock on front, flip up on rear).

I have progressive lenses on my glasses... meaning I have the top for distance viewing, the middle for 5-10 ft, and the bottom for reading. Makes getting the sight picture just right very hard.

So I have been mulling over getting a magnifier for distance use, that flips out of the way for non-distance use. I know nothing about magnifiers other than I was at a gunsmith and he had a brand name unit new in the box, discounted, but the field of view was tiny. I don’t think I want tiny, but again, know nothing about what is pro/con in magnifiers.

Figured this is the place to ask. Thanks in advance.

Barry

shoobe01

Established
Personally, having used a few but not all of them, I am very happy with the EoTech G.33. So much so I have three of them.

I also have awful eyes, and unlike many other optics (ACOG!) that are good but not adjustable enough, this looks great to me. Also comes with a good flip-to-side base.

Diz

The eotech is the bomb, however it's pretty expensive. The problem with magnifiers is they do have a reduced FOV, in comparison to your RDS. The new G43 is bigger but still mucho denaro. If you go this route, you have to accept the reduced FOV when magnifying things. I would suggest looking at a Holosun 3x magnifier, which is gonna do essentially the same job for a lot less.

AZ_Rifleman

Amateur
I have the newer Eotech G43. It's a nose to the charging handle eye relief. I get that some are not fond of it for that reason alone. I like that it makes for sighting in a red dot much easier. I also like the fact that it is good for being able to properly identify friend or foe at the longer than normal CQO engagement distances. And I really like the fact that it's a quick release so that if I need to scout out somewhere, I can easily take off and know that no one is going to freak out because there's no gun being pointed at them while doing so. It drops right into a BFG booboo pouch making it super easily accessible should I not want it on the gun, and I plan on eventually getting a LaRue mount for it to make it even more streamlined.

I would strongly suggest buying a magnifier not made in China, which is not a friendly nation. I'd rather spend the few extra dollars and keep an American employed or a friendly nation supporter like Aimpoint in Sweden. We can't help for most other things with made in China, this is however one of these things that we can control.

Default.mp3

Established
I personally use the Scalarworks LEAP/Mag 1.93" with an Aimpoint 3XMag-1, having of swapped from an EOTech G33; the G33 did not line up well with my GDI MT6-OSM, enough that in order to center the dot I was getting significant shadowing, plus I wanted to go to a taller mount due to NVG compatibility. I specifically went with the 3XMag-1 over the 3X-C due to the longer eye relief (on paper anyway), as I shoot with my stock fully extended on an A5 RE.

Having of been used to the G33, I do not find the flip-to-side options to be annoying in terms of blocked FOV, though I remain curious about the Unity option and may put my current 1.93" setup on a new gun and put the Unity FAST stuff on my NVG-optimized-ish rifle. Nor have I had any snag issues thus far, either with 2 gun or with roleplaying in a CQB environment.

Diz

AZ_R brings up some good points. The first being why a RDS/3x is a good set up, compared to the LPVO. I like being able to take the 3x off and use it as a monocular to scan with with. However this brings up another issue. A certain unit had a flip mount made by Wilcox that optimizes this technique, using a dove tail interface to allow the 3x to be taken off and put back on quickly and easily. The only rub is that it costs you around 750 bucks. The Chinese made a replica of it for around 100 bucks. And it has actually held up quite well. So while I agree in theory, that I'd rather buy domestic, whenever possible, I'm not gonna pay 750 bucks for a riser and flip mount. You do as ye will.

On the optics and 3x. Again all personal choice. I have a EXPS3-0 and EOTech 3x on my primary rifle. But have a Holosun HS510 and 3x on my back up. It also has a Sotac 5/8" riser and flip mount. On the mounts alone, that's 200 bucks vs 1500. And the RDS and 3x are 500 bucks vs 1200.

And I'm not here to argue the whys and wherefores of this situation, simply stating what it is. If you have the budget to buy all domestic, by all means, do so. Again I think AZ_R is spot on with the technique of using the 3x as a spotting scope. And this is why I run a RDS and 3x, vs a LPVO. But how you pull that off is up to you.

D-dot brings up a good point about optimizing for NV. So yeah some combo of mounts is desirable to get the height up for passive viewing. I think UT's set up is pretty fly, with the squat vs flip mount. If it had a dove tail interface it might be the perfect set up, for what we've been discussing.

Lotsa ways to skin this cat. Me personally, I'd sell that Trij, get a good Aimpoint or Eotech w/ matching 3x and drive on. If that's not within the budget, then you find a 3x that would work behind it. But to the OP, I think you're gonna find the FOV pushes you back to a more traditional position, which negates some of the RDS's heads-up pos, but then gives you PID in return. So that's the trade-off. And as far as vison, I'm right there with ya brother; I can see far pretty good, but have trouble focusing on a front sight, so red dots and magnifiers are awesome tools.

shoobe01

Established
I also have no issues with the normal flip-to-side being a problem. I have done plenty of walking in the woods with it off to the side (to be flipped up when there's time, etc) and it doesn't bump or snag more than anything else that snags in the doom brambles around here. If you bump it hard enough or fall less gracefully, the hinge works and now it's just folded inline, no problem.

The unity mount is a very cool solution. Friend has one, and we all traded guns the other week while running drills.
2021-02-06 14.33.35.jpg
I am too cheap and happy to change, but especially if you want to focus on passive aiming and like the RDS+magnifier solution, it should be high on the list.

Diz

Yeah the UT stuff is pretty cool; good to see you guys out and about. Hey who's chamber flag is that?

shoobe01

Established
That. And since my friends are often marginally prepared, it's actually mine loaned out, I am pretty sure, to comply with range rules.

Love them. But they are Not Chamber Flags. They block the bolt, cannot fall out, are totally safe but if rules say chamber flag they may not pass muster. I always keep regular tedious stuff-it-in chamber flags for that.

Really wish they'd make some for 9 mm SMG mags to use in the PCC.

MK machining makes a mag block for AICS (and others?), I am (eventually) adding an orange stick up through the ejector port bit myself to make it look safer and maybe get away without straight up chamber flags even more :)