Army Alt-C Target Question

JamesL

While the Alt-C is going away for Army rifle qual, does it still make a good training tool for those with limited range access?

I've always wondered - does the white circle/dot accurate represent bullet drop for the 25/300M zero? While we currently score all hits in the black as hits, if we want to ensure fiedlity on the 300m popup range, should only hits within the circle count?

WlJWAaC.png

krax

If you've got limited range access, but you're able to get into various positions (so not at a 25m indoor range where you have to stand in a lane), there's definitely value in shooting small targets and in shooting varying-sized targets. There's also enough space in between the silhouettes on the Alt-C target to force you to choose between muscling the gun and shifting your position to retain your natural point of aim.

So if you're very new to rifle shooting, it's a decent way to measure how well you apply fundamentals on demand. You'd also have some reference as to how well you're shooting as compared to the populations that used the Alt-C to qualify on their rifles. If you get to where you're cleaning it within the prescribed times, you could challenge yourself by reducing the par times and/or seeing how fast you can shoot it clean.

I'm a huge advocate of shooting guns out to the maximum range that the gun/optic/ammo/shooter will allow, but I also understand having to train within the constraints you've got.

What kind of range(s) do you have available?

krax

Not a ton of value in an Alt-C if you can zero and group at 200 and train consistently out to 100.

JamesL

Roger - problem I have is these are civilian ranges and they only allow one target per lane. I am lucky I can pull the bench away and practice from different positions, though I don't think they have a barricade to use.

Fatboy

Established
The problem with Alt-C is that it's shot at 25 yards with a rifle zeroed at 25 for 300.
You can fire poa/poi and score expert easily because all of the impact zones are at the exact distance you short zeroed at.
That in turn fails you at real distances because you have failed to train for hold overs, hold unders (or mechanical offset, which really is more for CQB and barrier avoidance.) The hold overs/ unders in particular for the 25/300 suck to memorize and apply under stress (like being shot at).

If you use it just as a target to further validate your zero on different sizes of target at the same distance, then go for it. Anything other than that is not a good training event from my past experiences.

JamesL

Appreciate it - if you do account for hold unders correctly, in theory they should be hitting within the white circle right?

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
That depends on your zero - if you zeroed at 25 there is no holding over/under. If you zero further out there will be varying levels of hold over depending on if you zero at 50/100/200 or whatever. If you hold correctly for the 25m offset for your chosen zero, all of the rounds should be in the white circle.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
Its a decent zero if you are trying to shoot the army qual - but not the best if you are actually trying to use your rifle in most situations. The 50m zero provides much improved performance for most applications. Id suggest doing more research to determine what is best for your use.