Archer Patrol Rifle review

helopitts

Amateur
Just to start off, Im just a dude that likes to shoot.

With that said, I ordered this rifle during the shot show special, that Archer was offering.

Specs
16 in barrel, Battle comp, Geissle SSA, ALG hand guard, Geissle gas block, mid gas, Magpul ctr and MIAD, troy Buis, FDE cerakote.

I added a viper PST 1-4 with a bobro mount.

Pros- I love this rifle!! very soft and flat shooting, not a hiccup yet. Very accurate (pictures below) gas systems seems perfect not a hint of being over gassed. Has cycled Freedom 55 gr reman, Great lakes 55gr reman, Wolf gold 55gr, and Speer gold dot 64 grain. All in all a great rifle that I'm very pleased with!

Cons- It took longer than expected to get the rifle, and the Cerakote made the receivers extremely tight and the receiver pins had to be tapped in and out with a punch, and would not go all the way home until I took them apart and cleaned up the excess cerakote.

This group was shot with 64 gr Gold Dots, using a pst 1-4 at 100 yards with a very dirty barrel, after 25 rounds fired at a moderate pace.IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG
IMG_2486.JPG

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
Tolerances too tight, marred finishes, loose gas blocks.

I have seen and heard issues and thought it would be good to let people know.

Bill's gun still works and is without issue I understand.

This is why we don't do lists.

FosterEDC

FWIW, my Archer EPR is number 47 (IIRC). From the start it seemed the tolerances were very tight. The take down pins most notably were, and still are, tight enough i have to use something to push them out. I had always attributed that to the cerakote though. Another odd thing is it will not seat gen 1/2 pmags unless loaded less than 27 rounds. It just will not reliably lock them in unless I slam the everlovingpiss out of them. Gen 3 are no issue. At a round count between 8-900 the barrel was keyholing. This was in the middle of Sentinel Concepts CCE. Steve can verify this incident. One email to Archer and they had a shipping label to me and it was off to be rebarreled. It was relayed to me that the barrel was not turned correctly and the rifling was just barely to spec. When the barrel got too hot it would start keyholing. I did receive the upper back and have since had no issues in that area. The rifle has functioned 100% reliably in terms of failures. I am at 3-3200 rounds all total at this point. All issues (except the pmag thing, we never could figure out what was up with that) were resolved by Archer and I am happy with their service and their ability to address the issues.