Ar10s

Farmboy20

I have found a Aero Precision ar10 for sale and thinking on buying it. What is the general consensus on aero’s AR10s? I’ve wanted one for a while now and truly wanted a SOLGW AR10 bc I know the MF is going run like a raped ape. But it’s also double the price tag of Aero and I know SOLGW rifles demand a high price tag for a reason they don’t cut corners and their stuff is done right. This rifle main uses will be hunting,range,some training and if i need to use it for self defense I’d like to able to rely on the gun. That all being said lmk if y’all got time on either of the rifles I’ve mentioned or if I should suck up the extra expense and just buy solgw if i can find one or not.

pointblank4445

Established
The large-frame nut hasn't been cracked as long as the AR15, and the progress seems a bit slower. Kind of like a $500 AR15, when I see any large frame AR/SR under $2500, I have to ask what's the catch....cause there's got to be one. Be it consistency, reliability, accuracy...something's gonna give.

MPer15

Amateur
I have an aero m5. It's perfectly adequate for a range gun but I barely have 800 rounds on it. It has run federal gmm 175 and 168 grain ammo with no issues but it choked all over the place with hornady 155 sst. I never intended it to be more than that though and based on the limited shooting I've done with it I wouldn't bet my life on it personally. Probably wouldn't even take it hunting if I'm honest because it wouldn't run the sst. It might run different soft points but with the current ammo prices I'm not too keen on a lot of testing right now.

AZ_Rifleman

Amateur
I'd only buy the M5 if it was a receiver set where I could control what goes on it. I have no idea on the other company but people that I trust in these areas have told me that SOLGW is legit and would if buying, probably not have to change out much if anything.

Farmboy20

So what I’m understanding is just keep savings for the triarc/ solgw ar10 more or less? And the aero more of a high end toy?

Default.mp3

Established
So what I’m understanding is just keep savings for the triarc/ solgw ar10 more or less? And the aero more of a high end toy?
For the price of a Triarc gun, why not just stick with something proven, i.e., the LMT MWS? Same stock issues as everyone else, but for a large frame, I don't see much reason to stray from LMT or KAC unless you're willing to tinker (maybe Daniel Defense?). If you want just a toy, can always go with the LaRue upper receiver kits, which they can even assemble for you.

I'm a big fan of my Seekins SP-10. It runs well, and while it's a bit more expensive than an Aero, it's worth the money for the reliability and accuracy.

DacoRoman

I've got an LMT MWS with a stock 16" CL .308 barrel and it has been GTG for me.
I have been able to get sub MOA to MOA groups at 100y using the IMI 175gr Match Ammo that I've been using. I am running a NF 4-16 ATACR on the rifle.

I went to a Kevin P. Owens Fieldcraft Long Range Shooting course wanting to manage consistent hits out to 800 yards as a class goal, and I ended up getting consistent hits all the way out to 1100 yards, which was a nice surprise. My shooting/spotter partner in the class also ran an LMT, his had a 20" CL barrel. He did quite well too and had no issues with his gun.
I think the only other .308 gas semi auto gun in the class was a DD, and it did have some feeding issues but I didn't get details. I didn't experience any malfunctions with my rifle doing the class.

During the first 100 rounds I had a failure to lock back on an empty PMAG...and unfortunately I didn't mark that mag. I number marked my mags afterwards like I should have done before even shooting the rifle but oh well.

Downside, it is a heavy rifle, but I think that helps helps with recoil mitigation. Being used to 556 AR's only, I was surprised how much kick that .308 has!