AR magnified optics for under 600 bucks, LE use. What doesn't suck?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator

Sean Manix
May 27 at 9:02pm

AR magnified optics for under 600 bucks, LE use. What doesn't suck?

"}" data-reactid=".b5" style="color: rgb(109, 132, 180); cursor: pointer;">Like · Comment
  • 2 people like this.

• Paul Gonzalez
    primary arms is well under 600 and they can take a beating.
    May 27 at 9:09pm · Like · 2

• Staccy Speck
    Vortex PST
    May 27 at 9:11pm · Like · 5

• Glenn Carter
    another vote for the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24.
    May 27 at 9:19pm · Like · 4

• James Foster
    get in touch with vortex directly, their LE discount is substantial.
    May 27 at 9:29pm · Like · 4

• Sean Manix
    Im still .mil for another year. I am being forward thinking.
    May 27 at 9:31pm · Like

• Glenn Carter
    I'm pretty sure they have .mil discount too.
    May 27 at 9:35pm · Like · 3

• Andrew K Hamilton
    Eotech does mil discount.
    May 27 at 9:50pm · Like

• Roland Deschaintull
    Vortex has a 1-6X for 400.00.
    May 27 at 9:52pm · Like · 8

• James Foster
    their new strike eagle.
    May 27 at 9:53pm · Like

• Roland Deschaintull
    Yep
    May 27 at 9:54pm · Like

• Ed Robinson
    I'd much rather shoot a PST 1-4 over the strike eagle. The extra 2x is not worth the quality of glass. The PST is very good especially for the $.
    May 27 at 10:06pm · Like · 1

• Andrew Wright
    So the strike eagle is lower quality glass than the viper? You've ran both?
    May 27 at 10:09pm · Like

• Matthew Shockey
    PST vs Accupower?
    May 27 at 10:13pm · Like

• Josh Toole
    Roland I'm ASSuming you've used the vortex 1-6? I'm thinking of one for an sbr I use for hunting vs just my aimpoint. I use a 2.5-10x32 pst on my 16inch rifle and it's great but it's the only vortex I've owned.
    May 27 at 10:14pm · Like

• Andy Reed
    Contact Leupold and get their LE pricing spreadsheet. You can get both the 1.25-4x and 3-9x VX-R Patrol scopes for under $500.
    May 27 at 10:15pm · Like · 5

• Ed Robinson
    Glass is not as good on the 1-6. The 1x on the Strike Eagle doesn't seem to be a true 1x like the PST.
    May 27 at 10:16pm · Like · 1

• Bill Blowers
    Strike Eagle is $329 on a Google search in several places.
    May 27 at 10:27pm · Like

• Josh Campbell
    Vortex hands down
    May 27 at 10:53pm · Like

• Troy Brown
    Leupold unum
    May 27 at 11:23pm · Like

• Rick Yates
    Has the Strike Eagle even been released yet?
    Yesterday at 12:17am · Like

• Ed Robinson
    I don't think so. My experience comes from fondling one at SHOT. August is the ship date....I think.
    Yesterday at 12:19am · Edited · Like · 1

• Ike Stephens
    Any love for the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4?
    21 hrs · Like · 1

• Aaron Marco
    Burris xtr. They have a substantial le discount. I'd stay away from the leup 1-6's, we've had nothing but problems with them.
    20 hrs · Like

• Scott T Fran
    Burris XTR-II is a 1-5. Great glass for the money I run the previous version (1-4) on my comp rifle for 3-gun and its money. You can order direct from Burris for 50% off of the listed MSRP which would put you right at $600 range. Good luck.
    18 hrs · Like · 2

• Scott Whitehead
    If you're looking at the Burris, BUY THE MTAC. It's the middle of the three Burris offerings, but it's pretty well acknowledged to the best of them, and you can get it packaged with a PEPR mount and a FF3 (which you can put on something else if you want) for under $600. Is it the best 1-4/6/8x glass out there? Probably not. But it's damn good.
    18 hrs · Like

• James Meagher
    I have the MTAC. Very good for the price point
    18 hrs · Like

• Staccy Speck
    Last i checked Leupold has no warranty for LE/Mil.
    17 hrs · Like

• Prescott Wellington Cunningham III
    Staccy where did you hear that?
    17 hrs · Like

• Jon Canipe
    Leupold is pretty much all warranty, all the time, for all the owners
    17 hrs · Like · 2

• T.Walker Peterson
    If you buy a old built in 1957 leupold at a yard sale. The warranty is still good. No papers needed
    17 hrs · Like · 4

• John Baggett
    Leupold VX-R Patrol 1-4 is my favorite carbine optic.
    16 hrs · Like · 2

• Sean Manix
    If leupolds didnt have a .mil warranty that is news to me. And the Pendleton guys who sent beat to shit mk4s back for work.
    15 hrs · Like · 1

• Zachary Reed
    Second (third?) on the Burris MTAC. The BDC reticle makes for great holdovers for precise sub 100 yard shots. I felt that the glass was on par with the PST when compared side-by-side.
    15 hrs · Like

• Jeff Freuler
    It's been mentioned but I think Vortex has some decent options
    15 hrs · Like

• Staccy Speck
    http://www.leupold.com/.../leupold-gold-ring-full.../ Leupold Military and Tactical Products

Warranties outlined above reflect the Leupold & Stevens, Inc. consumer product warranty policy. Military contracts may specify warranty policies that are different from these policies and supersede them. Warranties on Leupold Tactical optical products may vary depending on use and other factors.

Leupold Golden Ring® Full Lifetime Guarantee
    Leupold Optics are built for a lifetime of performance...
    LEUPOLD.COM
    14 hrs · Edited · Like · Remove Preview

• T.Walker Peterson
    Staccy Speck as you see warranty lasts doesn't affect fed/mil at all. If you have a leupold scope you have a warranty
    14 hrs · Like

• Staccy Speck
    I emailed Leupold and got this answer I was wrong. Sorry for the bad information. "Yes the scope will be covered by our lifetime warranty.

Regards,...See More
    13 hrs · Edited · Like · 1

• Sean Manix
    Well, for rugged use, semi rugged use. I know Leupolds can gang, and so can the vortex from what you all are saying. What then is the most comparable Leupolds and Vortexs in that price range and how do you guys feel they hold up?
    13 hrs · Like

• Andy Reed
    Leupold and Vortex both have good durability. Vortex offers a lot for your money, but I'm a glass snob and dislike a lot of optics as a result of optic compromise and limitations. I like the idea of the Vortex StrikeEagle, but the optical quality is on par with the Diamondback, which fits for a sub-$400 scope, but that doesn't cut the mustard for me. I had a PST and still had issues with optical quality. The Razor I have always been impressed with, especially given the price point. Leupold on the other hand has a lot better optical quality across the board IMO. It's all subjective of course. I will never buy a non-Razor Vortex again. I would readily buy numerous Leupolds, with the minimum being the VX-R Patrol and VX-3 line. I have had several Leupolds, and liked them all. My old Vari-X 2 1-4x20 shotgun scope has been on my Benelli slug barrel for 17 years, and it's every bit as good now as it was 17 years ago. 2000fps slug recoil doesn't hurt it one bit. I have a Mark6 on my LMT MWS, and I am getting a VX-6 1-6x next for another rifle. The downside is that Leupold sits at a higher price point than Vortex, so you are getting more for your money with Vortex.

Each manufacturer has a different design spec for their glass and coatings, and what they have achieved is different. This is where subjectivity kicks in, because no two people see things the same way. I place greater emphasis on resolution and light transmission that I do on color fidelity. My Viper PST had great light transmission and color, but at higher magnification the resolution diminished enough to bother me (still pretty good resolution though). Vortex scopes also have a very tight eyebox. In contrast to that, the Leupolds have great resolution and light transmission at all magnifications.b they have an eyebox that is a bit more forgiving.

Just my $0.02, which is worth exactly that.
    12 hrs · Edited · Like · 2