Anyone use the dust covers on Pmags?

Pearce

Amateur
TJA hit the nail on the head.

I’ve had PMAGs loaded for years in ammo cans and have yet to see an issue (sample size of about 20 PMAGs).

I’ve never felt the need to use them and usually just throw them away when I open a new mag package.

Chad H/BC520

Staff member
I use some of them. I have some stored in a pack that rides in my squad for active violence and SWAT tasks. The pack gets moved around and jostled, and I use them solely to make sure that rounds don't end up coming out loose. That has happened with mags in other pouches, but not the ones when the covers are on.

These mags aren't used as primary reloads, but as extra ammunition, so the time to flip off the covers isn't an issue.

Wake27

I didn’t used to until I saw an explanation from someone at Magpul, maybe Duane. I don’t really remember it but in addition to protecting from dust, they relieve spring pressure on the feed lips which prolongs their life so very much worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member
It's actually an impact protector/debris cover. Keeping the top round from being damaged or transported. Not for feed lips. From Duane and it says so in the product description.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

spectrain

Straight from the magpul site: "Supplemental Impact/Dust Covers for the 5.56x45 PMAG 30 AR/M4 GEN M2 MOE, PMAG 20, and EMAG™, designed to minimize debris intrusion and protect against potential cartridge damage during storage and transit."

Definitely worth it for say bulk military transport through sandy environments. No clue how the spring tension thing got started.

I use them on spare mags kept loaded. Most of my loaded mags are lancer, though. It may not be necessary, but it doesn't hurt either

Default.mp3

Established

Feed Lip Stability Over Time​

There is a common misconception that the dust/impact cover supplied with most PMAG products is in some way required to prevent feed lip creep or spread over time. This is not the case. When initially loaded, the PMAG GEN M3, and all PMAGs in the current lineup, exhibit a tiny normalization of feed lip geometry within a very small window of time measured in days, and then this geometry then remains stable over many years, heat cycles, cooling cycles, and outdoor UV and weather exposure. We routinely load magazines and place them into stable indoor, hot, cold, and outdoor exposure storage to monitor various batches of material. These magazines are occasionally function tested and reloaded with no issues.

As implied by the name, the dust and impact cover is indeed designed to keep debris out of magazines during storage, and to provide an extra measure of feed lip protection for magazines in storage, such as stuffed in an ammo can in a tactical vehicle used in off road operations, or for aerial delivery, kicking containers of loaded mags off of moving vehicles, and the like. This ensures that magazines that may normally be out of sight, not maintained, or subjected to delivery handling that is many, many times the normal testing and usage criteria will perform flawlessly after a quick flick to remove the cover.
Source: https://primaryandsecondary.com/magpul-pmag-gen-m3/