Anyone starting a Victory garden?

JimH

Anyone starting a Victory garden? If so, what are you planting? Any tips from the pros? I am starting one, in containers, with tomatoes, potatoes, lettuce and strawberries.

Reactions: 22F

jBravo3

Just my usual one, although Mrs n I have discussed planting some excess. #1 thing we struggle with is keeping wildlife and other animals out. Got a few other things to work on too; fruit trees, bees, fencing, barn repairs, etc. Always improve your position!

JimH

Pics of garden..3/20..Not much but it's a start..320tomato.jpg320straw.jpg320salad.jpg320potato.jpg

Any advice/Pro tips?
Feel free to post pics of your Victory garden!

jBravo3

Looks like a good start. Judging from the appearance of the flora in those photos, and the fact that the sun is shining, you're a little south of me lol. It's still freezing, wet and dreary where I am. Any wisdom I could relay probably wouldn't apply!

JimH

Day5:
garden324.jpg
Neighbor was throwing out bookcase, made a perfect raised platform. Need to paint it white, though.
garden324a.jpg
More strawberries....
garden325b.jpg
Hanging cherry tomatoes and strawberries...

Maskull

I've had one about 10 years ago but life got in the way and I started my current garden March 1st and none of this was in response to covid. I've been wanting to garden for years now but other projects, expenses, and laziness got it the way.
Gardening has always been in the books as another component of preparedness and i finally got plants and seeds in the ground.

I'm in zone 8 and my major concern is water. Summers can be brutal and a more than certain drought forecast is going to be a challenge. Water management is high in the list.

So far I've got a few types of tomatoes, few types of onions, corn, beans, squash, jalapeno, carrot, fig, broccoli, lettuce, watermelon, strawberry, chia, and sunflowers. Several herbs and other tea plants like chamomile.

JimH

Greetings from zone 9b. Water is a major comcern here as well. Sounds like you have a great garden going. Good Luck!

JimH

A little over 2 weeks working on it, and the garden is about 1/2 way done. I am not sure how to proceed if the garden products are no longer sold (non-essential). The standard bucket mix I am running is : 1/3 manure, 1/3 compost, amd 1/3 garden soil. I am also adding 1 Tblsp epson salts, 2 tablsns Fish bone meal, and 2 tblspns Calcium Nitrate for the tomato buckets. Adding Job's garden fertilizer to the rest. Pics:
garden44d.jpg

garden44c.jpg

garden44b.jpg

garden44a.jpg

It's a mess, but a work in progress. How are the other gardens going?

Thanks,
Jim

jBravo3

Lookin' good. Haven't even tilled ground up at my place yet!

Attachments

• KIMG4264~6.JPG
    KIMG4264~6.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14

jBravo3

Still haven't tilled yet. Snowing here in the central Appalachians as I type this. I did put a few more apple trees in the ground today.

Grizzly

Will try and find some pics later but we've got a few started up. A nice 12x4 raised bed, some fruit trees just planted 4 "3 sisters" mounds and one heck of a dandelion crop coming up!