Anyone have any time on the Vortex 4.5-27x HDII?

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
Looking for input on this scope, the samples I looked through the glass was legit. Just wanted opinions on tracking accuracy and parallax adjustment user-friendliness.

Was considering selling my SB PMII 5-25 and picking one of these up.

Been running one for about 6 months. Zero complaints. Several people I know have sold their S&B's to get the Razor.
Glass is very good. Turrets are great. Big clunks between clicks, and still 10 mils in one rev. Only did one tracking test when I first got it, but the elevation was spot on. The bitch is heavy though! Not a problem, just be aware.

I plan on buying another soon.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
Its a tie between that and the Kahles 6-24x... but I need another bolt gun to even think about this.

What would motivate people/you guys to sell a high end German scope like a S&B for a Razor?
I have a Hensoldt and I would have to have a lot of motivation to ditch that in favor of a Razor.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
Its great glass, the Schmidt is VERY finicky with parallax adjustment. For a competitor, or for the target audience of tactical end users here finicky parallax that needs to be adjusted every freakin 50m is time consuming. Several guys I know who run them say that from 200-600m its a one twist of the parallax knob, past that requires adjustment. This is a very nice feature for someone looking to cut out as much time to engagement as possible. Plus I did not care for the MTC turrets on my Schmidt, the "heavy" clicks were to much so, to the point that making adjustments like .1-.2 past a whole mil number was time consuming because you almost always went over by a few clicks due to the weight of the heavy click itself vs the light.

My BEAST is easy on the parallax and glass is actually brighter to me then the Schmidt, with a edge to the german glass in resolution. The HD II Vortex scopes I've played with have excellent clarity, resolution, and for the equivalent magnification range Im looking at a 7,000 dollar Hensoldt Scope. Of course, glass is a subjective thing, so YRMV.

Hensoldt is freakin awesome when it comes to glass (they are the only optics people who do everything in house), but certain features (like very fine adjustments with very little space between clicks) and overall cost make it hard to swallow. This coming from a guy who doesn't balk at dropping 3-4k on an optic. Ironically that inattention to end user friendly-ness for what a tactical shooter looks for beyond glass clarity (and their inattention to detail when it comes to contract submissions for .mil) is why they have yet to find their way in to a lot of hands. Plus the cost itself.