Any tips for USPSA classifier?

bcwood64

I have my first Classifier coming up this weekend. I've shot IDPA and USPSA matches already.

I just wanted to know if anyone here has any tips for me that's all.

I'll be running Production with a Wilson Combat Beretta 92G Brigadier. Running Federal 150 Grain Syntech ammo for powder puff loads

krax

Many clubs will post the weekend's classifier in advance. Do you know which classifier you're shooting?

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
I agree with @Elite0651 as far as treating it like any other stage. Now, some people are really looking to classify high because their goal is to get an 'M' or a 'GM' card, and that is totally fine. Actually setting a goal like that could work well as a goal to build a practice schedule that has a quantitative endpoint. I personally just shoot the classifiers like every other stage; in match mode. If you aren't familiar with the Steve Anderson shooting modes (speed/accuracy/match), then I suggest listening to his podcast where he explains it. I can look for it as well if you want.

USPSA recently updated the hit factors for most classifiers in most divisions, and generally they were raised a bit. The nice thing about classifiers is they are usually fairly simple and focus on basic skills like the draw, reloads, transitions, and SHO/WHO shooting. If your goal is to classify well, a good draw and standing reload specifically are great skills to have. The USPSA app also has the hit factors for each classification for all of the stages. If you wanted to practice on your own time, you can figure out what your hits and time needs to be to meet your classification goal, then practice that. Even if you don't know which classifier specifically you will be doing, most of them test the same basic skills so being good at one classifier will help with many of the others.

Some classifiers also have more uncommon skills like table starts, unloaded starts, etc. that at this point may not be the low-hanging fruit for you to practice.