Any Reason to Look at the Glock 34 for Duty?

I have been running a Gen 4 17 for a couple years now with night sights on duty.

While looking into fiber optic sights to use on duty, I started exploring the option of a 34 for duty use.

I have had a 34 before, but never really gave it a fair shake and got rid of it pretty quickly.

I felt the 34 was swoopy/front heavy and took a little longer to get out of the holster, but I'm wondering if that was just in my head.

Anybody tried both and really prefer one?

Why?

G34 gets the barrel ahead of the X300u, so it does not soot up as much. A bit longer sight radius may be of benefit.

Other than that, I strongly prefer a G19 w/compensator, ala the "Roland Special".

I think the G19 with the comp does give you more of a noticeable performance benefit over just a 34, but as of now the RS combo is not authorized for us to use on duty.

PM07

Staff member
A longtime duty 34/35 user here. No noticeable differences time wise when compared to my 17 out of the holster and on drills. The extra length didn't bother . Like Doc stated, the extra sight radius seems to help. I cant compare it to a RS since I don't own a comp'ed pistol.

ROMPER

Amateur
Also a 34/35 user. Been running them since they first came out. Actually prefer them for balance. Have yet to shoot a Roland Special, but the extra front end weight reminds me a lot of the feel of the 1911's I grew up shooting.

MrMurphy

I was considering a 34 for duty if I had to buy my own piece. Former instructor (who carried a 17) advised he'd carried a 34 but the length started really annoying him in the car, the slightly longer barrel apparently was just enough to poke him or make it awkward.

I've had the same issue with our issued 21s at times so I guess he had something of a point. I've never shot the 34 extensively enough to tell if the extra sight radius improved my shooting over the 17.

Longeye

Established
You will have that problem with any Glock length if you are running a weapon light. It will continue to be a problem until Safariland comes out with a legitimate high ride UBL for their duty holsters

You will have that problem with any Glock length if you are running a weapon light. It will continue to be a problem until Safariland comes out with a legitimate high ride UBL for their duty holsters

Are there issues with the 6072 that make it unsat for duty use?

Longeye

Established
I wasn't aware of the 6072 part. Thanks for the lead. It should be GTG for conventional duty belts.

It would almost make me drop my Crye MRB and go back to an old skool 2.25" belt with keepers so I could run that.

Just kidding. I am going to figure out how to make the 6072 work with my MRB and Aegis belt.
I bet two minutes with a solder iron gets me there....