Any professional advice on the glock 19L configuration?

Paul053

Amateur
Hi folks new to the forum. Thanks for letting me join and soak up the information. Recently took a two day Kyle Defoor class and while there he spoke to me briefly about a glock 17 that he cut down to 19 length.

This peaked my interest because I had read about that mod a while ago and never committed to chopping my 17 or the more expensive route of modifying my 19 with a longer barrel and slide.

Is there a benefit to this mod in terms of shootabilitiy? Or just spend the money on starting a RS19 setup? Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
The mod works, I've use them, but what are you really gaining?

These days prefer a G19 with an RDS.

Paul053

Amateur
That's why I asked. Realistically just a half inch of barrel and sight radius. Going to wait for Shot Show to see if trijicon is going to make any changes to the rmr to make it more pistol rugged. Then make the jump.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Rob Wry

I chopped one of my 17's. The shortened grip gives me 19 concealability which, when combined with a Raven Eidolon, allows me to conceal under a loose t-shirt. My hands don't have any issues with the grip as compared to a stock 19 or my other 17. Love it. Only did it for concealment. Only picture I have is before it was completely done.
IMG_3459.JPG

I have been using a Glock 17 that I chopped to a G19 grip length for three years. I found that a G17 gives me an edge in shootability, is slightly more accurate, and slightly faster. I found in my own testing and comparison that overall I was better with the 17. However, I wanted the concealability of a 19. I did the chop and honestly in my opinion it is the perfect carry gun (for me). I even wish that Glock would offer a model with that modification from the factory. Of all the Glocks that I have, it is by far my favorite and most carried. I do not regret the chop one bit and would do it again if I had to replace the one I have now for some reason. Now if I could just figure out a way to put a magwell on it...