Any benefit to Vltor A5 buffer system on 14.5 mid?

SmElly

New upper inbound, and I have an A5 just laying around. Any reason to/not to pair it with a 14.5 mid?

marcusa

Should work just fine but the buffer weight choice may depend on the upper you're running or if you have a LAW adapter (or if you're running suppressed).

SmElly

Should work just fine but the buffer weight choice may depend on the upper you're running or if you have a LAW adapter (or if you're running suppressed).
BCM upper (.076 port if I'm not mistaken) no LAW, no suppressor.
Separately, why does the LAW folder affect buffer selection?

marcusa

BCM upper (.076 port if I'm not mistaken) no LAW, no suppressor.
Separately, why does the LAW folder affect buffer selection?

Depending on your ammo either A5H2 or A5H1 should work fine. I'd probably start with A5H2 since that is the "standard" weight and go to a A5H1 if cycling is slow, your ejection pattern is off, or you're not getting bolt lock back.

As noted the LAW extension adds approximately 2oz to the BCG so in some cases a lighter buffer or different spring may need to be used to allow for proper cycling.

Martin545

I’m running the A5 with the H2 buffer on a 14.5 mid length and haven’t had any issues, I’ve only put about 500-600 rounds through it but it runs well. It’s a Faxon gunner barrel and I’ve been shooting mostly the Frontier 75gr.