Ankle carry

ptrlcop

Established
Tell me about ankle carry. Gear, tactics, other issues. I am looking to carry a bug on the ankle. I have a good idea in doing "square range" draws but my perceived need for this gun is seated in a vehicle or ground fighting and I don't know much about it. Would carrying butt forward be easier to access with the opponent mounted on top of me?

Detmongo

Amateur
i carried an ankle gun while in uniform for many years. i would carry it butt facing towards my back with no issues. i was always able to easly get my hand on the gun while seated in the veh. when someone approached with minimal movement to the gun. hope this helps.

KevinB

I've been toying with this for my Shield - any recommend holsters, or inside/outside or what ankle for a typical righty?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I go inside the left ankle for right handed draw with my 442 when I have no other options.

ptrlcop

Established
I get that standard is to carry on off leg for a strong side draw. Can you still draw well weak hand with this method? Ground fighting is my primary concern with this gun...

AsianJedi

He likes RDS on pistols.
VIP
I just starting carrying a bug in the ankle. I was actually wondering about the ground fighting aspect in Jiu-Jitsu class today. Need to experiment it with it a bit more. My first though is that it feels pretty secure so movement will not be an issue. To your question of access if mounted, I would say your first priority is to get out of being mounted. If you at least get to half guard (right arm is closest to ground) access to the bug on your left inside ankle with your right hand should be easier. This however is my initial, not yet drilled, theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck Haggard

Agile/Training and Consulting
Staff member
A few years ago Joe Maffei was teaching a reverse grip draw from the same side ankle from the guard as part of his ground program for LE that he was working with, Ralph Mroz had the video up on a few sites, but now I'm having trouble finding it.

The book answer for ankle carry is opposite ankle, butt to the rear (right handed shooter carry on left ankle, etc.). From the position one can easily get a rather quick draw from the ankle rig to the strong hand, this also works from seated, supine, etc. Specifically from an entangled ground position I think the reverse grip thing Maffei cam up with works better, or drawing from a cargo pocket holster down on the thigh.

I went with leaving my ankle BUG on my left ankle, and adding a TDI knife concealed in my right cargo pocket for weak hand use in a ground entangled fight.

It seems to me ankle carry is a lot like IWB- You might hate it until you find the right holster for you. The first one I liked was a Ken Null ANK. I like the Alessi rig also.

Chuck Haggard

Agile/Training and Consulting
Staff member
The Alessi ankle rig is thought of by many people as the Cadillac of ankle holsters, and for good reason.

Most I see are open top (although they will build you a thumb break if you ask the last I knew...) and friction retention, which gives me the hee-bee-gee-bees, I greatly prefer having both friction and a thumb break to keep the gun in place.

WDPD8207

Amateur
In the environment that I work in ankle carry is the best way to conceal a firearm on me. I also keep a second larger firearm in a briefcase. What has worked for me is a Ritchie Gun Leathers ankle rig. I believe Ritchie worked for Lou Alessi before he passed away. The Ritchie is an open top holster. Top Gun Supply has them in stock and I can get it in a couple of days instead of months. I have been carrying a Glock 42 and recently switched to a 43. New holster is inbound. One thing I do to assist in concealability is I take an older sock and cut it off at the ankle and put it on over the holster to disguise it. I have never had any issues with the gun coming out of the holster however I'm not out chasing bad guys any longer. If I were I would opt for the added retention of the thumb snap.

maclin

My $0.02 after carrying an ankle BUG for the last 15 years. The Galco with a thumb break has never come loose in many, many foot bails and fights.

I don't think it's really that viable to try to access it in a ground encounter against an active, aggressive opponent. At least I could never pull it off in training. Like anything else on the ground you need to get position and control before bothering got try to access a weapon, and the duty weapon was always more accessible once I'd gained control.

My main reason for it was primary weapon failure, and the happy additional feature was being able to covertly have my hand on a gun when seated in the squad car without anyone knowing when people approached the car (while doing reports, eating, etc.) and caught me off guard.

Even the Alessi ankle rig takes some getting used to, the first week sucked, after a month I no longer notice I'm carrying. If you decide to try an ankle rig give it a fair chance and give yourself some time to acclimate to it before you reject the idea. I use it with a G-26 and think that is about as large as I am comfortable with but YMMV