Ankle Carry

I'm looking to carry a 442 on duty on my support side ankle. Unfortunately, Phlster doesn't make an ankle holster otherwise this question would already be answered. Dept. policy mandates ankle carry and a retention strap. Working in the hood mandates that it needs to be able to retain the gun through running, jumping, and gangster stuff.
What are you using and why?

HCL3

For the last 3 years I've been using the leather version of the Renegade Ankle Holster from The Wilderness. I first heard about it from Steve Fisher talking about it on a P&S Modcast a couple of years back. I've been in multiple fights, foot chases, over walls and fences, etc. without any issues from the holster. The leather is molded to have some retention and there is an elastic retention strap that goes over the back of the trigger guard to provide additional retention. The leather has not gone soft even after wearing it for 43 hrs/week for the last 3 years.

I previously used a leather Galco Ankle Glove. It was fine but the leather lost all rigidity during the first few months of wearing it. I also developed a bad rash on my ankle that a dermatologist thinks was caused by the Galco's neoprene ankle band. The Wilderness holster has a nylon band and I have had no issues with it.

nyeti

Staff member
Ditto on the Wilderness. The original Renegade it is based on has decades of being regarded as one of the best ankle holsters made.

NCBeagle

Another +1 for the Wilderness Tactical. I prefer the full elastic version. Feels like it hold the revolver closer / tighter and the elactic blends in with a black dress sock if pants leg rides up a bit.

PM07

Staff member
Another vote for the Wilderness Tactical. I've used one off and on for like `10+ years or so IIRC.

Jason M

I am wearing a Wilderness Tactical full elastic version as I type this. It used to carry a 442 but now carries a 340PD. I am not sure what qualifies a gangster stuff but the strapless elastic is super secure. Wilderness may be able to add a retention strap to the full elastic version if you call and ask.

Erick Gelhaus

Staff member
Another vote for The Wilderness/Renegade option.
Just remember, that almost everything out there will wear out & require replacement as some point.

I run a 442 for a backup, support ankle for several years. Always used Galco. They leather ankle rig (with and without strap, I’ve used both) place the gun at (for me, at least), a neutral angle that doesn’t print bad or snag your pants leg. I went cheap when I needed a new one and got the Galco Ankle Lite (suede), and hated it. The angle was so extreme it printed badly and hung up on the pants leg whenever your get out of the car or from kneeling.

Brookser

I went cheap when I needed a new one and got the Galco Ankle Lite (suede), and hated it. The angle was so extreme it printed badly and hung up on the pants leg whenever your get out of the car or from kneeling.
Had same issue with suede one, never again. After reading this thread gonna check out Wilderness options, after all, what's another holster in box of holster gonna change.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
I picked up a Wilderness ankle rig with the elastic pouch for my J Frame. Had the pleasure of using it during a 10 hour road trip out and 10 hours back. I almost never knew it was there. I don't really plan on running the ankle rig a lot, but it's a great option to have in situations where it makes sense. Between an Enigma, a RCS Vanguard, and a couple pocket holster options, I've got a lot of ways now to carry a snub, and get to tailor carry method to my needs at the time. I'm definitely liking the ankle rig for the road ad the very least.