An Abomination: Let’s desecrate a Schofield

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I think I have decided on trying to adapt a M-Lok handguard as a barrel shroud as opposed to just using a couple separate pieces of picatinny rail tacked above and below the barrel. Something similar to this:

Space-Cowboy-Revolver-Front-Right.jpeg

It’ll require some trimming to fit and make sure nothing impedes the break action, but it’ll look better and be functionally stronger than just sections of rail

Smith

"probably"

Were you thinking "micro RDS is not good enough on this thing, I better get a rifle-size one?" Or just no mount space w/o a slide?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I just liked the aesthetic of the larger dot on the large revolver. The thing’s got a 7” barrel, there’s nothing micro about it.

When I get around to building a Colt clone I’ll base it on a 5” gun and use a micro for that build

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
FD325F03-2659-4B0B-A94F-D536377C51FF.jpeg

New maple floral engraved grips arrived a bit earlier than expected and dropped right in. They’re gorgeous.

11F2DF41-78AE-4128-9C43-E60F1EDD3761.jpeg

While I was messing with the grips anyway I did go ahead and remove the grip adapter piece. There’s no doubt the ergonomics are objectively better with it installed, but I have to admit the aesthetics are a bit better and cleaner without it - and in the case of this project, form is taking a bit of a priority over function. I’ll keep the adapter in my drawer in case I decide to put it back on but for now leaving the grip slim and svelte

Reactions: 22F

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
D7D2951C-9A2E-4BC8-80A1-BE3405C51D45.jpeg

Well that was a headache. I got the optic mount switched around to help move the mass of the red dot further back on the gun. It’ll help balance everything visually and physically once I’ve got a rail and X300U hanging off the barrel.

Gun goes to the gunsmith on Monday!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
This is such a cool build. I’d like to do something like this with an old 45-70. Thanks for letting us follow along

Part of my inspiration for this project is the recent rise in popularity of tactical lever actions, specifically the Mad Pig Thumper builds:

A bit steampunk, a bit cyberpunk, a bit ridiculous, a bit piss-off-the-purists-and-Fudds. It’s just a fun creativity project

Attachments

• 1643571783436.jpeg
    1643571783436.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 19

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Alright, a little good news/bad news. The bad news is, gunsmith didn’t take possession of the gun today. I need to select and order the handguard myself.

The good news is, gunsmith knows exactly how to do the modifications, that he absolutely can do the modifications, and he’s excited for it - he even explained how it would all be reversible with the only permanent modifications being about three screw holes through the top rib of the barrel. This thing is a confirmed go :cool:

I’ll be ordering the handguard tonight and once I get it in will be taking it and the gun back in to get worked up

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Ok, sounds like LS Grips can make the big butt style grips for the Schofield like my rough photoshop, just not until later this summer when they’ll have time. Material options would either be pearl or wood. I’m thinking either black pearl or ebony wood - either way the shape/ergonomics would be the same, no finger grooves, extra material to fill behind the trigger guard, and checkered. Anyone have any thoughts?