Aligning Eotech G33 with T-2 Mount?

Putting together a red dot + magnifier combo for a gun. I have an EXPS3-0 in the inventory, and the G33 (using the provided 7mm spacer) lines up perfectly. However I plan on using this with a T-2. Has anyone had any experience/issues with using lower 1/3 Micro mounts with the G33? Currently looking at putting the T-2 on a Geissele SP or Scalarworks mount (both lower 1/3). Thanks guys.

I’ve heard from others that the Geissele lower 1/3 co-witness mounts line up correctly. I’d imagine this is true for others as well. However, I myself have no first hand knowledge of this. But thought I’d mention it.

shoobe01

Established
Do not have this RDS setup, but have used a couple RDS with the G.33 and find it very tolerant of misalignment of the RDS so I just don't worry about it. For example, I now mostly run the Mepro M5 (Tru-Dot RDS) and it's more like "bottom 1/4" cowitness. Works fine.

I’ve heard from others that the Geissele lower 1/3 co-witness mounts line up correctly. I’d imagine this is true for others as well. However, I myself have no first hand knowledge of this. But thought I’d mention it.

Thanks. I hope you’re right! I’ll be selling off a few things to get this project going. Just picked up the G33 yesterday and man that thing is clear!

Thanks. I hope you’re right! I’ll be selling off a few things to get this project going. Just picked up the G33 yesterday and man that thing is clear!

I’ve never used magnifiers and have only used Aimpoint red dots. I am planning on picking up a G33, as well as an EXPS3-0, sometime in the near future though, as I already have the T2 w/ Geissele mount.

I also have, again based on others’ words and not firsthand experience, been led to believe that the Eotech magnifiers are clearer/better than the Aimpoint magnifiers. Hence why I’m going with that one and the EXPS3. Plus I like that it’ll give me options i.e. I can try the G33 with the Eotech and T2 and then decide which suits me better while having a back-up or extra if one goes down or I put one on another carbine.

I’ve never used magnifiers and have only used Aimpoint red dots. I am planning on picking up a G33, as well as an EXPS3-0, sometime in the near future though, as I already have the T2 w/ Geissele mount.

I also have, again based on others’ words and not firsthand experience, been led to believe that the Eotech magnifiers are clearer/better than the Aimpoint magnifiers. Hence why I’m going with that one and the EXPS3. Plus I like that it’ll give me options i.e. I can try the G33 with the Eotech and T2 and then decide which suits me better while having a back-up or extra if one goes down or I put one on another carbine.

This is exactly why I finally made an account on P&S. Exchanging experiences with dudes. I’ve always put it this way as far as Aimpoints and Eotechs go... The Aimpoint is a better soldier’s optic. It’s simple, robust, batteries last forever, all that good stuff. The Eotech is a better shooter’s optic. The reticle has more points of reference, it magnifies better, however if you issue EXPS3-0’s to an infantry unit, you’ll have 50% of them broken within a year, dudes will neglect to change the batteries, they’ll fail to manage the auto-off, etc.

TLDR:
Aimpoint is hard to beat in the functionality department. Eotech has some nice features that certain dudes will dig.

Also, the G33 is absolutely a better magnifier than the Aimpoint. All the way around.

shoobe01

Established
I do not have enough time behind the Aimpoints (there are several now with the C line) to definitively say anything, but having briefly looked through several, and used some others, I LOVE the G.33. No plans to get any other magnifier any time soon.

Mike_IA

At work I run a T-1 on Scalarworks Mount with an EOTech G33 magnifier in stock switch to side mount behind it. There is a bit of shadow but not enough to impact use.

FYI Aimpoint discontinued their magnifier line.

At work I run a T-1 on Scalarworks Mount with an EOTech G33 magnifier in stock switch to side mount behind it. There is a bit of shadow but not enough to impact use.

FYI Aimpoint discontinued their magnifier line.
What do you mean by “shadow”? The entire optic body is visible in the magnifier? Is it too tall/short? Misaligned left/right?

I do not have enough time behind the Aimpoints (there are several now with the C line) to definitively say anything, but having briefly looked through several, and used some others, I LOVE the G.33. No plans to get any other magnifier any time soon.
I would agree. Aside from making it slightly lighter or getting better eye relief, I just can’t imagine how much better they can make a magnifier

Mike_IA

It is slightly misaligned in the up/down plane. So you see a little blurry crescent at either the top of the view or bottom, depending on if you have the riser block in or out. The blurry spot is in less than 10% of the viewing plane by my estimate.

shoobe01

Established
I they discontinued the old, original model and are running with the new models (3X-C, 6XMAG).
Yes, they discontinued the old, slightly gigantic 3X magnifier. Replaced with a compact range of them:
Aimpoint-Magnifiers.jpeg

Left to right, 6XMag-1, 3XMag-1, 3X-C

The 3X ones are very similar in size to the G.33. Available alone, or with the pin-and-rotate base Aimpoint always has had. Have to go aftermarket for a flip-to-side base.

ETA: Never seen it but apparently they DO make a FTS base also. Here, on the 3XMag-1:
Aimpoint-3XMag-1-side-view.JPG

Yes, they discontinued the old, slightly gigantic 3X magnifier. Replaced with a compact range of them:
Aimpoint-Magnifiers.jpeg

Left to right, 6XMag-1, 3XMag-1, 3X-C

The 3X ones are very similar in size to the G.33. Available alone, or with the pin-and-rotate base Aimpoint always has had. Have to go aftermarket for a flip-to-side base.

ETA: Never seen it but apparently they DO make a FTS base also. Here, on the 3XMag-1:
Aimpoint-3XMag-1-side-view.JPG
Great pictures. Looks like the Aimpoints have recessed diopter adjustment screws or they just don’t have them at all. Before I go cranking on this thing, will the Allen Head screws on the G33’s diopter adjustment knobs lock it down in the setting I’ve chosen? Or is that not their intended purpose at all

shoobe01

Established
Manual for the G.33:
http://www.eotechinc.com/sites/default/files/products/uploads/G33 user manual 2015 Rev E.pdf

The occcular focus (diopter adjustment) is just a dial on the rear, co-axial with the optical axis. Just like any old rifle scope. Doesn't lock down, so I'd make a witness mark to get it back to about right when it gets bumped.
Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 12.25.33 AM.png

The two dials on the side halfway down the sight body (I assume, same for the screws on the Aimpoint) are like zeroing:
Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 12.25.45 AM.png

I never mess with them as I do not care, or notice, that the dot is not centered. But you may.

Anyway, nothing to do with the diopter adjustment. Unless yours has another screw I've never noticed.

Manual for the G.33:
http://www.eotechinc.com/sites/default/files/products/uploads/G33 user manual 2015 Rev E.pdf

The occcular focus (diopter adjustment) is just a dial on the rear, co-axial with the optical axis. Just like any old rifle scope. Doesn't lock down, so I'd make a witness mark to get it back to about right when it gets bumped.
View attachment 2844

The two dials on the side halfway down the sight body (I assume, same for the screws on the Aimpoint) are like zeroing:
View attachment 2843

I never mess with them as I do not care, or notice, that the dot is not centered. But you may.

Anyway, nothing to do with the diopter adjustment. Unless yours has another screw I've never noticed.
Fat fingered the keyboard. My mistake. I was referring to the screws on the vertical/horizontal knobs that center the dot

shoobe01

Established
Therefore, rereading to probably your point: New Aimpoint magnifiers also have "centering" adjustments.Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 9.57.57 PM.png

3x-c manual: https://www.aimpoint.com/fileadmin/...laneous/3X-C/14607-1_User_Manual_3X-C_ENG.pdf

Yes, the others just have more rubber over the same:
Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 10.01.38 PM.png

3xMag-1 manual: https://www.aimpoint.com/fileadmin/...Mag-1/14614-1_3XMag-1_User_manual_Eng_web.pdf

Speaking of more rubber, I've never seen anything more terrifying in a product manual:
Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 10.01.22 PM.png

Just take your pocket knife and hack away at the $800 optic. Sure...