AIWB Set Up For USPSA

So I think I’m going to take the dive into USPSA with AIWB. I shoot IDPA in my duty rig but I want to get back into USPSA and run an AIWB holster. I already have an Eidolon but I only have 1 spare mag carrier also carried AIWB. I was considering the PHLSTR flex micro with a Blue Force Gear double mag carrier carried AIWB with a spare mag in my back pocket or in a mag carrier. Here in NY we can only run 10 rounds regardless of the division. Anybody have any other suggestions?

David Mayeur

Since you're going to be reinserting mags often, you will want kydex magazine carriers, not BFG ten speeds. The ten speed are difficult to reinsert a magazine in while worn AIWB. I have a Flex and ten speeds, but highly recommend you check out Dark Star Gear's Koala magazine carrier as well as Henry Holster's OWB carrier.

31829189287_fbc9442621_c.jpg

chasnojm

I was gonna say since you are shooting production, you couldn't run appendix, but since you are limited-10 or single stack it would be fine I guess. I concur, you'll want some more mag pouches/kydex versus IWB ten speeds.

RallyMech

Amateur
I run USPSA from appendix in open div with a PHLster Spotlight. For your case, I would run your normal AIWB holster, production style mag pouches on the belt, and tuck your shirt in behind the holster.

Last weekend I had multiple flubbed reloads due to my jersey laying over my mag base plates in an inconsistent manner due to running concealed. Since you're stuck with 10 round mags, all of those reloads greatly increases your chance of screw ups. Once you get the consistency down, then add a cover garment. Keeping your normal spare mag location isn't a bad idea either.

JLL2013

I would endeavor to keep my equipment as close as possible to what I always carry. It's better to add an OWB pouch than to start subsitutiing different IWB pouches.
There is a cornucopia of time between stages; may it be a pain to insert mags into a BFG ten-speed? Yes. But it won't ruin your match experience between stages.

Yes. I carry a spare mag AIWB but I know I need more than 1 spare mag. I’ll be running my Glock 19.

MOT

Just as a side note, I used to run a pouch similar to the bfg, just a little elastic sleeve with a velcro belt loop. Snakeeater tactical I think. It worked ok, life span was not great but it was minimalist and worked with all of my different pistol mags. Ultimately it started coming out of the pants with the mag every now and again. Now I’m onto the jm custom kydex. Much easier to work with. The iwb loop failed pretty quickly but other than that I have no complaints. I figure if you’re competing with aiwb it seems like using the closest thing to your actual carry gear is the right way to go. But then again I don’t always carry two or more reloads..

David Mayeur

Wait... do most CCW's on here run 10 speeds? I've been using a kydex JM custom AIWB mag pouch. Am I missing out not using the BFG 10 speeds? Why/how is it better?

It depends on what you are wanting to do. BFG ten speeds are the thinnest you can use AIWB, but that's when attached to a PHLster Flex. I've made mounts to use BFG ten speed pouches with a RCS overhook, but they then suffer from the downfalls of most AIWB mag pouches.

I'm currently using a DSG Koala and Henry Holsters OWB carrier.

I was gonna say since you are shooting production, you couldn't run appendix, but since you are limited-10 or single stack it would be fine I guess. I concur, you'll want some more mag pouches/kydex versus IWB ten speeds.

AIWB is also not allowed in Single Stack

Here in NY even if you are LE, you shoot with 10 rounds. It almost looks like I would be better off just running my duty rig and throwing a spare mag in my back pocket.

I shoot open concealed in a phlster spotlight with a phlster mag carrier aiwb. I second what already been said about the BFG pouches. If I need extra mags I either buy another phlster carrier and run it right next to the other one, or use pockets (maybe try the magnet pocket clip thing). What are you useing to hold your spare mag now?

I used a flex with ten speed pouches for a few months, but now just run everything separate. Putting my gear on a flex panel just meant I was married to that exact configuration or gear unless I want to spend a few minutes with a screwdriver to add or leave something as needed for that day.

I shoot open concealed in a phlster spotlight with a phlster mag carrier aiwb. I second what already been said about the BFG pouches. If I need extra mags I either buy another phlster carrier and run it right next to the other one, or use pockets (maybe try the magnet pocket clip thing). What are you useing to hold your spare mag now?

I used a flex with ten speed pouches for a few months, but now just run everything separate. Putting my gear on a flex panel just meant I was married to that exact configuration or gear unless I want to spend a few minutes with a screwdriver to add or leave something as needed for that day.

Right now I carry a spare mag AIWB in a kydex IWB mag carrier.

In that case I’d just grab another one or two of those mag carriers and run it right next to the one you normally carry. This would help keep things as consistent as possible. I don’t have the ten round limit for a just run my exact carry gear which is what it sounds like your trying to do. Most stages will not required more than 30 rounds so three mags would be minimal while 4 give you some flexibility planning reloads.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
It depends on what you are wanting to do. BFG ten speeds are the thinnest you can use AIWB, but that's when attached to a PHLster Flex. I've made mounts to use BFG ten speed pouches with a RCS overhook, but they then suffer from the downfalls of most AIWB mag pouches.

I'm currently using a DSG Koala and Henry Holsters OWB carrier.
Be curious to see how you mated the overbook to the 10 speed?