Aftermarket Glock slides

I'm about to take the plunge on an RMR I want to put it on a Glock. My question, is there any aftermarket slides that are worth owning that is the ones that are manufactured with an RMR pocket already on them. This will be experimental gun and training gun because we are not approved to use them for duty yet. the reason I'm looking at the aftermarket slide is I do not want to have the slide milled for my experiment. If and when I decide that the RMR route is for me I will send my slide in to be milled. either way are any of these aftermarket slides worth owning I do not want to spend money on something that's just going to s*** the bed.

Chriscanbreach

Established
We recommend our officers start with the factory MOS and find the optic that works for them in training and during the transition work up. Milling a personally owned factory slide is authorized after that. At this time no aftermarket slides are authorized.

Chriscanbreach

Established
I guess I should be more clear with the Why of not getting an after market slide. You said you wanted to experiment / train with the system and that your department doesn’t authorize them as of yet.
The MOS is far from perfect but is plenty capable of training with and will allow you to try out a few different set ups.
In the event your department does authorize handgun RDS it’s highly unlikely aftermarket slides will be authorized as well. If you have a Factory MOS or OEM milled slide you’ll be all set.
If you just want a gun to play with and don’t think you’ll ever use it on duty there are others here better suited to help you choose.

user12358

The cheapest way to try out the concept with a decent enough slide would be something like a Brownells RMR cut slide. All you would need to do is install a striker channel liner and then you can swap over the rest of the guts of your factory slide in a few minutes and be up and running. The pocket is very deep and it uses pillars in the screw holes to retain the optic. Then when you see the results you can have your OEM slide milled and just return the small parts back to that upper.

I did the same thing when I had a spare RMR lying around and wanted to cheaply put a dot on an extra 19. The gun never had a problem in a few thousand rounds of NATO spec 9x19 and it consistently shoots in the high 90s which is right on par with my other KKM barrel OEM slide glocks.

Chriscanbreach

Established
A great option, but holster fit may be a big issue with the Brownells slide. It fits none of my holsters properly. Food for thought.

David Mayeur

Slides with chamfers will have issues with Safariland ALS holsters. Keep that in mind.

For LE, it's almost universal now to go with the MOS. You will also get the most bang for your buck with a MOS gun and will be easier to sell if you don't care for it. Aftermarket slides are not as cost effective for LE agencies.

user12358

A great option, but holster fit may be a big issue with the Brownells slide. It fits none of my holsters properly. Food for thought.

I only used it with a PHLSTER Spotlight and a 63XX RDS ALS holster where it functioned identically to an OEM slide. What holsters did you have fit issues with?

user12358

Slides with chamfers will have issues with Safariland ALS holsters. Keep that in mind.

Slides with chamfers MAY have issues with Safariland ALS holsters. It is certainly not an absolute. While I think that chamfers are stupid there are many chamfered slides that work perfectly with ALS holsters and many issues that arise from chamfers are a problem in conjunction with a compensator.

David Mayeur

Slides with chamfers MAY have issues with Safariland ALS holsters. It is certainly not an absolute. While I think that chamfers are stupid there are many chamfered slides that work perfectly with ALS holsters and many issues that arise from chamfers are a problem in conjunction with a compensator.

Fair enough, but it's simple enough to say that chamfered slides CAN have issues and most aftermarket slides have chamfered edges.

So buy an mos... All right throughout the day I'm starting to lean away from and aftermarket slide all together. MOS is an option for sure and I might do that. On the other hand if I decide to do a milling job what do people think danger close armament? Good stuff? Seems like a decent company was very decent options at a relatively affordable price comparative just some of the other big names

WAVandal

You can also go to Big Tex Outdoors and buy a factory Glock slide, then have it milled for your MRDS of choice or shipped to Agency for the AOS install. The Unity Atom system is another option if you don't want to be stuck with just one possible MRDS option. I bring these up since you're talking about using it as an experimental gun.

The AOS is known to work in the Safariland RDS holsters, not sure about the Atom.

David Mayeur

You can also go to Big Tex Outdoors and buy a factory Glock slide, then have it milled for your MRDS of choice or shipped to Agency for the AOS install. The Unity Atom system is another option if you don't want to be stuck with just one possible MRDS option. I bring these up since you're talking about using it as an experimental gun.

The AOS is known to work in the Safariland RDS holsters, not sure about the Atom.

ATOM slides will work with new RDS holsters. May have issues with the dust cover closing depending on the optic used.

However, the ATOM is a slide that I've seen have issues locking into the ALS mechanism due to the chamfers.

The Atom slide works with Safariland. With the irons being forward of the optic, it may take some light sanding/filing to get the pistol to seat deep enough to lock in. I had to with my 19 and the Atom slide.

With the slide, I am also not stuck to a single optic choice if things get better, along with it had front serrations already compared to some other slide options.

Wake27

The Atom slide works with Safariland. With the irons being forward of the optic, it may take some light sanding/filing to get the pistol to seat deep enough to lock in. I had to with my 19 and the Atom slide.

With the slide, I am also not stuck to a single optic choice if things get better, along with it had front serrations already compared to some other slide options.

Depends on the model and your definition of “light.” My pre-RDS model 6354DO took some solid dremel work to fit the optic and iron combo of an ATOM w/ RMR as well as a ton of draws and reholsters for the front serrations to wear down the ALS mechanism enough that it would slide in and out like butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blitzer613

Amateur
I’ll give more input on the Brownell’s RMR slides. The updated version I have for the 19 Gen 4 has worked flawlessly with my small box of holsters (who am I kidding, my drawer of holsters and box of holsters that I actually use currently). The finish is fantastic, definitely better than the gen 3 and gen 4 OEM finish. I bought mine with a discount code so it was $229 with 10% off. 2-3 days later Brownells has the slide on sale in addition to the 10% off. I called and they refunded me the difference, that kind of service is why Brownells will continue to get my service. FWIW, I had been trying to decide between this option and buying a new stock 19 to send off to ATEI or Jagerwerks. The thing that made me go with the Brownell’s slide (aside from it being WAYYYYYY cheaper) was the fact that the slide would be covered by Brownell’s unconditional lifetime guarantee. If I ever have an issue with it they’re going to help me out. I was stupid enough to forget Loctite on one of the screws and lost it on the first range session. Called them and they sent me two new screws free. The fitment of the slide to the front of the RMR is tight and the threads for the mounting screws rise above the surface of the slide to meet the underside of the RMR. I’m not about to torture test the slide, but I have not had to adjust zero yet so I’m satisfied so far. I am running the slide with a Faxon match barrel. It was tight at first but I have not had any malfunctions with this combo that were not blatantly user-induced or ammo induced. The Trijicon HD suppressor height sights on this slide are just barely taller than “absolute cowitness” height. That was a deal breaker for me on the sights. I got the Trijicon HD XR sights and the dots on them just barely clear the base of the RMR. On this setup they have been relegated to being true backups.