Aftermarket BCGs & Coatings and what I don't know

ID&G

There are many bolt carrier group variants available in the AR15 aftermarket and many finishes to match. I am building a lightweight recce frankengun and want a BCG that is lighter than the standard 11.58~oz. I am considering the Cryptic Coatings Titanium BCG (7.78oz) in their mystic black coating. However I don't know if that is the right answer. They make many claims about their products such as smoother recoil and faster cycle rate. I don't know if any of it is true. I don't want to buy snake oil. Can someone tell me if I am wrong for wanting a lighter weight BCG? Does a titanium BCG make sense? Does their coating actually make that much of a difference?

Vinsynd

Amateur
They have a nice product for building a shiney range toy. I have a Mystic Gold BCG for a 458SOCOM fun build. I picked up the BCG on color alone. It runs well but I wouldn’t buy these for lubricity or any other functional “feature” over a duty quality (MPI, etc) BCG+Bolt for hard use. In fact I elected to use the Tromix bolt that came with my barrel over the Mystic Gold bolt.

Yondering

There are many bolt carrier group variants available in the AR15 aftermarket and many finishes to match. I am building a lightweight recce frankengun and want a BCG that is lighter than the standard 11.58~oz. I am considering the Cryptic Coatings Titanium BCG (7.78oz) in their mystic black coating. However I don't know if that is the right answer. They make many claims about their products such as smoother recoil and faster cycle rate. I don't know if any of it is true. I don't want to buy snake oil. Can someone tell me if I am wrong for wanting a lighter weight BCG? Does a titanium BCG make sense? Does their coating actually make that much of a difference?

Have you put together very many ARs before, and are you familiar with tuning them? I ask because you'll be working outside the box a bit in tuning your gun for a titanium carrier, and if you're new to ARs I certainly wouldn't recommend starting that way. You'll have questions about tuning the gun and fixing issues, and most people won't be able to offer useful advice because your rifle has unusual parts in the action.

A light weight carrier will definitely need some action tuning (either gas, buffer weight, or springs, or all of these), don't expect it to just replace an M16 carrier and work right immediately.

David Mayeur

Why do you want a lighter carrier?

ID&G

@Yondering I'm not new to ARs, but I am not an expert by any means, which is why I am asking for second opinion if this is the right choice.

@David Mayeur I want to build a 16" recce rifle or maybe 20" spr that weight less than 6 lbs. without sacrificing durability or longevity . Which is why I am asking if I am wrong for wanting a lighter BCG, if I am wrong then I don't want to buy something unnecessary that will just end up failing me.

David Mayeur

@Yondering I'm not new to ARs, but I am not an expert by any means, which is why I am asking for second opinion if this is the right choice.

@David Mayeur I want to build a 16" recce rifle or maybe 20" spr that weight less than 6 lbs. without sacrificing durability or longevity . Which is why I am asking if I am wrong for wanting a lighter BCG, if I am wrong then I don't want to buy something unnecessary that will just end up failing me.

A sub 6 lb 20" SPR is a pipe dream.

As mentioned above, unless you want to start tuning a gun, avoid a lightweight carrier. When you start cutting weight on components there is a point of diminishing returns.

Since you mentioned a SPR, what are you planning on doing with the rifle?

Wake27

BCG is quite possibly the last thing I’d look at from a weight perspective. Why are you chasing a number in pounds? Sub-6 just means that’s what it weighs, not that it works. Wouldn’t the more important consideration to be a fully functioning rifle and just shave weight where you can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ID&G

@David Mayeur I use the term SPR loosely, i'm not clearing houses or doing any other sort of LE/Mil work, so why limit myself on length? However to get back onto the main topic. Do you know anything about NP3 coating?

@Wake27 Yes, a fully functioning rifle is more important than saving weight. Which is why I was asking for second opinions if a lighter weight BCG was a good idea.

David Mayeur

@David Mayeur I use the term SPR loosely, i'm not clearing houses or doing any other sort of LE/Mil work, so why limit myself on length? However to get back onto the main topic. Do you know anything about NP3 coating?

The reason I ask is because barrel length isn't the only factor in an accurate rifle. You can probably get away with a 16" midlength gun that will be more than capable for whatever your needs are.

Yes, I know a little about NP3. I don't find it to be necessary.

henschman

By going into the realm of race gun parts like lightweight carriers, you're going into an area with much less data and testing, and less certainty regarding reliability. The mil spec C158 HPT/MPI BCG, carbine RE and spring, and H buffer combo is a known reliable setup when paired with a properly sized gas port and quality components. This is supported by a massive amount of testing and real-world serious use. As a guy who regularly competes in Run 'n Gun biathlon events, I like a nice light, quick-handling rifle as much as the next guy, but the BCG has never seemed like a worthwhile place to try to cut weight to me. The barrel is the biggest area where weight can be saved, and the area where it makes the most difference in handling. You can get right at a 6 lb. rifle (unloaded without optics) just by using a lighter profile barrel along the lines of an A1 profile like the Ballistic Advantage Hanson or the BCM LW or ELW, a light, slim FF handguard like the BCM MCMR, and a stock that isn't a total boat anchor like a MFT Minimalist, Magpul MOE-SL or CTR, or just a regular M4 stock.

Or honestly just buy a goddamn Colt 6720 and call it good... they're like 6.3 lbs. from the factory, and you know it's put together right.