Advice on Lightbearing AIWB holsters

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
I’m looking for a light mounted AIWB holster. I’d like to hear from folks who have used both the Bawidamann and the Phlster. I’d love to hear the ups and downs of both. I’m assuming both are pretty comparable in quality and weapons fit. Comfort is my biggest concern with how well it tucks in the grip being close second. Having worn both the Eidolon model with the closed/rounded edge bottom and the VG3 extensively, I find the rounded body side edge to be a huge factor in comfort. I got incredible hot spots from the Incog I started with and I attribute it to the straight edge on the bottom of the muzzle area. I’d prefer the holster fit the range of G19,17,34 and Roland Special in one holster. Again if you have worn both which was more comfortable, especially along that bottom edge?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
If you are just running Glocks - the Spotlight would be a better option IMO just due to being an overall smaller footprint on the belt. The Gotham is great for many different guns but is a bit thicker.

Both have wedge and claw capability.

MojoNixon

Established
I’ve got a Spotlight supposedly showing up in the mail today, but it’s 1800 and still a no show. It’ll be compared to an XFER. I’m hoping for an improvement in comfort. I will report my findings as they develop.

MojoNixon

Established
My Spotlight did finally show up last night at 2000. I have already switched to the shorter (@ .2800") modwing standoff. The larger one (@ .4000") is just too big. I may end up ditching the modwing entirely as I have never had an issue with the grip printing and it just seems to be in the way. I also ditched one of the soft loops. I have always used just one when there are a pair. The teardrop shaped molded in wedge type feature does what it is supposed to do but I may end up attaching my own padding to it to increase what is already a comfort increasing design.
Rayforest the edge around the muzzle is nicely smoothed, nothing sharp, though it is open. I will later this afternoon put up some pictures. There is no comparison in comfort with my XFER. The Spotlight beats it hands down. I can't compare to anything else except a VG-2 but I had that so long ago that I don't really recall the issues other than it precluded using a light, that led me to ditching it.
For reference I'm carrying a G-19 with TLR-1HL and TBRC Comp.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Matt I’m not sure I understand what you mean but I might not have been clear in my comment you referenced. What I meant was that I’d rather have the full size light but if someone tells me that “the G19 with TLR7 makes brand X holsters footprint so small it’s the most comfortable thing I’ve ever worn” them I would consider going that route just to get a comfortable way to carry a light mounted pistol.

Please give us some feed back on the HolsterCo AIWB holster they are sending you. It caught my attention and I can get an honest comparison to the Bawidamann from you.

MojoNixon

Established
0D791F09-9C81-4250-ACCE-2B08E4DE1C35.png05313C95-3216-423D-8D53-0B81D77D2970.jpeg0ECED825-8374-433A-A63F-D8C20A3B2F00.jpeg
A couple of Spotlight pics. Muzzle end gun inserted, overall view, and muzzle end, empty, could not get a good shot of this view.

Gypsy EDC

Matt I’m not sure I understand what you mean but I might not have been clear in my comment you referenced. What I meant was that I’d rather have the full size light but if someone tells me that “the G19 with TLR7 makes brand X holsters footprint so small it’s the most comfortable thing I’ve ever worn” them I would consider going that route just to get a comfortable way to carry a light mounted pistol.

Please give us some feed back on the HolsterCo AIWB holster they are sending you. It caught my attention and I can get an honest comparison to the Bawidamann from you.
I make holsters for both the G19/tlr1 combo and the G19/tlr7 combo, there is a significant difference in size.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
Fullsize v small weaponlight - fullsize lights need the holster to extend the length of the gun which provides a straight surface in contact with your body - nothing sticks out to jab you. Small lights like the TLR7 holster coverage doesnt need to extend the length of the gun, so there will be near a 90 degree angle at some point digging into you where the edge of the light is. If there is no corner on the holster, why not just carry a fullsized weaponlight? We have discussed previously how a longer holster adds to comfort and stability - wont pivot and moves less. If a fullsized light provides better performance AND comfort, what use is a small weaponlight?

I have a HolsterCo for my SP01, but it isnt used much - I have two more coming for my P09.

BUT - again, for Glocks with a light - Spotlight is my pick do to being slim, and having a smaller footprint.

Eidolon does not have a light bearing option.

it's 0615 hrs and I suspect above will need translating.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Not sure what you mean by extend to the length of the gun? The TLR7 extends to the end of the G19 slide making for a holster that is mostly rectangular if I chose a G19 only size holster. I do get the longer it is the better it conceals aka the why a G26 is terrible but a 17 works fine argument we have discussed. Yes there is no Eidolon LC I’d just like to use that as the comfort standard to compare to.