Advice on buying PVS-14

ammomfg

I am currently looking at purchasing a PVS-14 for an upcoming series of tests I have to perform for a customer (testing tracer ammunition).

I want to use the PVS-14 as a basis for comparison in the results section of my presentation, I will be mounting a camera to it (I can handle the mount, so this is not something I need advice on) I just need to know what models are closest to the military models, and will be reflective of where current military technology is going.

TNVC was recommended, and since they are local to me, I will probably use them for a vendor (Unless you have someone else you can recommend for a cost savings)

The two models I'm looking at: https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvpvs-14-itt-gen3-pinnacle/
and: https://tnvc.com/shop/pvs-14-night-enforcer-gen3-pinnacle-night-vision-monocular/

My understanding between the two, is that the "Gen3 Pinnacle Night Enforcer" doesn't use the barrier film, however other than that, both units seem to be mostly identical. Is this correct?

Is there anything else I should worry about before buying? I mostly need to worry that this is going to give representative results of how the different tracer ammunition performs vs the common NVG platform.

shoobe01

Established
100% can suggest TNVC and I'd ask them all these sorts of questions. Local? Double bonus, see if you can schedule time to go visit with them and compare things if that helps. Note: they are P&S vendor, several of them are around here, so wait for them to pop in or seek them out.

Personally, not sure a PVS 14 + camera mount is the best choice for photography. I have a camera-dedicated relay lens that makes it much easier to photograph things, and since Gen3 intensifiers are all very similar as far as this goes (seeing tracers) I'd be comfortable saying that's what was used.

In fact, the difference between what your eyes see and what the camera records will be a lot bigger. If evaluation or proof presented to the client will be photos or videos, I'd spend a lot of time (and if not one yourself, get a suitable photo nerd) to assure the recorded imagery matches visual perception as much as possible. But, it's a challenge for any visual system; cameras are not eyeballs.

ammomfg

100% can suggest TNVC and I'd ask them all these sorts of questions. Local? Double bonus, see if you can schedule time to go visit with them and compare things if that helps. Note: they are P&S vendor, several of them are around here, so wait for them to pop in or seek them out.

Personally, not sure a PVS 14 + camera mount is the best choice for photography. I have a camera-dedicated relay lens that makes it much easier to photograph things, and since Gen3 intensifiers are all very similar as far as this goes (seeing tracers) I'd be comfortable saying that's what was used.

In fact, the difference between what your eyes see and what the camera records will be a lot bigger. If evaluation or proof presented to the client will be photos or videos, I'd spend a lot of time (and if not one yourself, get a suitable photo nerd) to assure the recorded imagery matches visual perception as much as possible. But, it's a challenge for any visual system; cameras are not eyeballs.

Thanks for the response, I've got a photo-nerd for that part, I'm mostly concerned about spending the money on the right part, so we can really get an idea visually (even if the camera doesn't match what would be seen by the human eye).

Much of what we're testing here is based on "apparent" brightness, I can talk about how many photons and what the wavelength is until I'm blue in the face, but it's a matter of translating E = hv into something they can see, and something that will translate when they go on to sell it to their customers.