*****Advice Needed From RMR Users. Please!*****

Freedom Forged

I have posted a couple of threads on this subject. I and not trying to beat the subject to death, but......

Yesterday I had time at work to kill. I read many, many articles, posts and instagram messages on the subject of RMR's on pistols.

I have saved money to make this purchase. As you guys know when all is said and done I will have spent nearly twice the dollar amount on the optic and installation as I spent on the G19.

My plan right now is a Trijicon RM06, black front and rear irons, have the slide milled by L&M as they are only and hour or so from me.

My eyes are older and I don't see as good as I use to so I feel like the RMR will really help me. But you see I am a working man. This is serious money for me. So when I read about the RMR's shutting off or blinking. Needing a special plate to get it to work. Adding Shoe Goo so the battery will make contact. Etc.
It causes me to take pause in my decision.

I don't mind spending the money but I do not want to make a $1000.00 mistake. I am begging for some input from this who use them.

David

Lobsterclaw207

There is nothing wrong with pistol mounted RMR's. Like anything, it may take a small amount of adjustment to increase reliability. On mine, I didn't even wait for it to start blinking (not all of them do this), I just followed Wiley E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing instructions on the internet and slightly bent the battery tab to help it achieve better contact.

The Shoe Goo fix also seems smart, creating a semi-flexible buffer of sorts. Where RMR's have trouble is when the battery starts bouncing around inside the battery compartment and it briefly loses connection. Again, not all of them do this, and there are people with 10,000+ rounds on a pistol mounted RMR with no issues.

For context, my RMR 06 is on a full size M&P 9mm, and I carry it in a life-safety role as a cop with zero worries. In fact, I'm more confident in my pistol now because I know I can shoot it better than with irons. I am from the same boat as you, a working man who had to save up and incrementally buy this not-inexpensive stuff. I am totally and 100% satisfied with my purchases (and the money I paid L&M Precision.).

I had similar trepidations. Being the special snowflake I am, I went all in on the deltapoint pro.

I had my slide milled by Bruce at Primary Machine and I use Dawson's. 595 rear and .585 front.

I'm extremely satisfied with it so far.

There are some things to note if going this route, mainly holster selection. The extra high Dawson's require whoever makes your holsters to include just a little extra room for your front sight.

OK-5-0

I literally just pulled the trigger on this. Glad I did. Initial testing has been pleasing and I am getting tighter groups at distance. I am picking up the dot relitively quick and I am able to use both eyes open with ease. I have spend 10 years behind the gun and now I see what all the hype is about. Jump on in, the water is just fine.

Zero'd

I'm new to the RMR. Had flicker issues. Taped it and it persisted. Sent back to Trijicon and 6 weeks later is back with upgraded internals. I'm glad I did rmr, zero worries about battery life. I just had a birthday and put a new battery in and it will stay on until next year.

SCSU74

I have posted a couple of threads on this subject. I and not trying to beat the subject to death, but......

Yesterday I had time at work to kill. I read many, many articles, posts and instagram messages on the subject of RMR's on pistols.

I have saved money to make this purchase. As you guys know when all is said and done I will have spent nearly twice the dollar amount on the optic and installation as I spent on the G19.

My plan right now is a Trijicon RM06, black front and rear irons, have the slide milled by L&M as they are only and hour or so from me.

My eyes are older and I don't see as good as I use to so I feel like the RMR will really help me. But you see I am a working man. This is serious money for me. So when I read about the RMR's shutting off or blinking. Needing a special plate to get it to work. Adding Shoe Goo so the battery will make contact. Etc.
It causes me to take pause in my decision.

I don't mind spending the money but I do not want to make a $1000.00 mistake. I am begging for some input from this who use them.

David

I had Mark do mine at L&M and he did a great job. I haven't experienced any flickering or shutoff. He offers the option of installing the Trijicon sealing plate which I chose to have him do. He also bore sights the RMR and zeroing from there took 12 rounds, very easy. It is a huge improvement from irons only, I think you will be very happy with the setup. For reference I used an RM06 with black rear and trit front.

There is nothing wrong with pistol mounted RMR's. Like anything, it may take a small amount of adjustment to increase reliability. On mine, I didn't even wait for it to start blinking (not all of them do this), I just followed Wiley E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing instructions on the internet and slightly bent the battery tab to help it achieve better contact.

The Shoe Goo fix also seems smart, creating a semi-flexible buffer of sorts. Where RMR's have trouble is when the battery starts bouncing around inside the battery compartment and it briefly loses connection. Again, not all of them do this, and there are people with 10,000+ rounds on a pistol mounted RMR with no issues.

For context, my RMR 06 is on a full size M&P 9mm, and I carry it in a life-safety role as a cop with zero worries. In fact, I'm more confident in my pistol now because I know I can shoot it better than with irons. I am from the same boat as you, a working man who had to save up and incrementally buy this not-inexpensive stuff. I am totally and 100% satisfied with my purchases (and the money I paid L&M Precision.).

What are you using for a duty holster with the M&P/RMR combo?

OK-5-0

Update to my trial testing: I eventually experienced flickering and sometimes the optic would shut off completely. This was all battery related issues. I had added the additional plate with the elevated circle to press up on the battery, even then the aforementioned issues still occurred. I placed a small price of styrofoam between the connector and the battery wall which allowed the connector to have more purchase on the battery. I have put around 1000 plus rounds since then with zero issues. It beats sending it off to get worked on and not have it for 6-8 weeks. I still would recommend them.

Yondering

New guy to the forum here, but I've been using RMR sights on Glocks for ~5 years now. I'll say a big +1 to L&M's work; Mark milled my first Glock RMR slide (a 21 SF) and did excellent work.

On the flickering issue - IMO it's more the exception than the rule, but if it's an issue, try a small dab of RTV gasket sealer (get it from an auto parts store) under the battery. I had one early model RM01 that flickered once, but has been flawless since the RTV fix.

Hope that helps.

Zero'd

My rmr was down for about 6 weeks when it went to home for repairs. That was over Christmas/New year's.

About 1500 flawless rounds since. I'm glad I sent it back rather than relying on a homebrew fix.