Active Response Training "Basic Knife for Concealed Carry" 2/23/2013

WayneF

On Saturday, February 23rd I was able to attend the Basic Knife Course for the Concealed Carry Operator put on by Active Response Training. The course was instructed by Greg Ellifritz and took place in Harrison, OH.

Greg is an active police officer who has served as his department’s training officer, teaches at the Ohio Peace Officer’s Training Academy and is a lead instructor at the Tactical Defense Institute. He teaches ground fighting, knife fighting, active shooter, medical and CQB shooting classes. He is probably one of the most well rounded instructors I have ever trained with and brings a wealth of experience to the table.

The course was hosted by the Tactical Intelligence Group and held at a local V.F.W. The venue was a large indoor pavilion and was perfect for the type of training. There were close to 20 students in attendance and they were a varied group with men and women of all age groups and experience levels.

For equipment I used a Zero Tolerance folder in my strong side front pocket and a Kabar TDI in a PHLster sheath carried on an Ares Gear belt in appendix carry on my left side.

The course started out with introductions and general housekeeping notes. Greg then covered topics such as knife selection, pros and cons of various knife designs, performance of different blade types and carry positions. He also spoke on the legalities of carrying a knife on your person.

With that out of the way we immediately got into the hands on portion of the course. I learn better from doing instead of listening so this was greatly appreciated. We worked on various opening methods, ranging from simply using two hands, using thumb studs, holes or flippers, and finally various inertia opening methods. Once we got a feel for the multiple methods with our strong hand, we worked on the same skills with our support hand.

This led into a discussion on forward and reverse grips, the pros and cons of each as well why we may choose to utilize one over the other.

Now that we had a feel for what to do once we got the knife in our hand, it was time to learn how to most efficiently get it there. That meant working on our stances and how to deploy the knife different positions that we may find ourselves in during a fight. I quickly learned that the “cop pants” I generally wear with their deep cut pockets were less than ideal when I am trying to access my right pocket with my left hand while on my knees or on my stomach. Lesson learned….

So now we know how to access the knife and get it into play, now what? It was time to work on some various slashes and stabs. We worked these with both hands as well. This wasn’t a martial art style class with flashy moves and I for one was very happy for that. What were taught was a small amount of very simply yet effective manipulations that we could pick up in a short amount of time.

Greg then went on discuss a handful of methods to increase wound enhancement. I won’t go into detail but one include a technique similar to peeling into someone’s flesh as if filleting a fish! Simple techniques that were easily learned but would be devastatingly effective.

It was at this point we teamed up with a training partner. It started out with a static partner so that we could get used to finding our target points and ranging our slashes and stabs. From there we proceeded to our partner actively “attacking” us with soft punches and things such as bear hugs, chokes, headlocks and other attacks. This was another learning point for me. It showed the upside of carrying a knife on both sides so I could secure a weapon no matter which arm was free.

We also worked on weapon retention and how to defeat gun grabs from the front, side and behind no matter if the attacker had one hand or both hands on our holstered pistols. Greg had one core method of how to deal with all of these attacks.

That was greatly appreciated by those of us that didn’t want to learn 25 different methods or techniques to utilize depending on exactly how we are being attacked. In the end that was what this class was all about. Most of us are not going to put forth 10-20 or more hours a week to perfect our edged weapon skills. This course served as a crash course to provide us with the essential skills we would need to create a gap in an overwhelming attack to either deploy a handgun or beat feet.

The vast majority of gun owners don’t carry. Of those that carry, very few train. Of all of the guys walking around with a knife clipped to their pocket, how many have trained at all on how to actually fight with it?

It has opened my eyes to a glaring deficiency in my own training regimen. It is one that I intend to keep working on. In light of the current ammunition situation this seems to be the perfect time to work on skills such as edged weapons, open hands and emergency medicine. Don’t simply stop training, look for another skillset to increase.

Greg discussing the locking methods of various knives:
602086_490597210990154_1045522099_n_zpsa69a95c8.jpg

Students working through inertia opening their folders:
482187_490597647656777_908828300_n_zps8e266b4b.jpg

Defending against a choke from the rear:
295578_490598024323406_1592603155_n_zps76fe454d.jpg

Greg covering what to do with our knives once we get a firearm involved:
164398_490598027656739_154698489_n_zpsee9dd457.jpg

Students had plenty of hands on practice with their training partners:
559807_490597927656749_1984162322_n_zps2f67d339.jpg

Going unarmed against Greg with a knife is not my idea of a good time:
554935_490597790990096_1139816350_n_zps7cbc708e.jpg

You can find more information on all of Greg’s class as well as one of the best blogs around at his website below.
Active Response Training
T.I.G. - Training Division[/quote]