Accuracy and ammo

Farmboy20

A question I’ve been wondering on for a while, my primary “do all” gun is my beloved 12.5 triarc upper and aero pistol lower,with vortex razor hd genll E 1-6 in a aero scope mount. Currently my groups are roughly 1.5-2” prone in the dirt shooting at 100 yards. Ammo is 5.56 xm193 55 grain from psa freedom munitions lucky gunner etc is that a typical grouping? I understand that ammo is not top grade by any means but how that stack up with everyone else’s experiences?and is there better practice ammo i can use to tighten up those groups? Thanks in advance.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Yes. Good enough for that ammo. If you can bag it out on a bench, you might get a little more out of it.

Farmboy20

Next question, what ammo/grain would the fourm recommend for really trying to see what my 12.5 triarc can do? I’ve been to do my own research but i like input from a more experience voice also i wad thinking buy something in the 60-70 grain area to just really see how accurate my gun is

Farmboy20

Ok new problem i have a 10.5 solgw 300 blk and it is shooting big groups like anywhere form1.5-3 moa at a 100 yards. Ik im cable of 1moa with my 556 12.5 I shoot 110 gr hornady vmax for hunting and 125 gr freedom munitions/sig sauger rounds for practice and plinking. Is it the round or is there some secret im ignorant of? I’m still trying to learn about 300 any help be appreciated.

pointblank4445

Established
Ok new problem i have a 10.5 solgw 300 blk and it is shooting big groups like anywhere form1.5-3 moa at a 100 yards. Ik im cable of 1moa with my 556 12.5 I shoot 110 gr hornady vmax for hunting and 125 gr freedom munitions/sig sauger rounds for practice and plinking. Is it the round or is there some secret im ignorant of? I’m still trying to learn about 300 any help be appreciated.

Does the accuracy spread over time (like as the barrel heats)?
Does it do this with all ammo.

Honestly man, in tinkering with scoped AR's for 20 years and trying to squeeze every bit of accuracy from one to the other this is about all I can offer in terms of consistency in general:

- Most decently built, free-floated barrel AR's should be able to print a 5-round group under 2 MOA (probably closer to 1.5) without much difficulty with at least some form of high-quality ammo (though it may not be the flavor you want it to be).

- Deviations can come from some wild shit. Dynamics of pressure on the rail (bipod load) to muzzle devices to altered feeding dynamics from magazine lip spread just to name a few can tolerance stack to add some frustrating deviation to groups.

- Barrels and by extension upper/rifles themselves have entirely unique characteristics. Even when using barrels from the same production runs or from very tight specification parameters, they can behave very differently.

- There may be teething issues say with gas port burrs or erosion settling in or things of that nature that can lead to inconsistencies.

pointblank4445

Established
Also, are you chasing all the different ammo types one after the other?

If so, it has also been my experience that sometimes copper of brand A chased after copper from brand B takes some time to settle out. Thus, if you're just changing mags and going to groups, you could be tracking the barrel in the middle of settling the new flavor of copper and not giving you a fully accurate representation of what is going on.

Farmboy20

Also, are you chasing all the different ammo types one after the other?

If so, it has also been my experience that sometimes copper of brand A chased after copper from brand B takes some time to settle out. Thus, if you're just changing mags and going to groups, you could be tracking the barrel in the middle of settling the new flavor of copper and not giving you a fully accurate representation of what is going on.
Man that’s the gun cold/ under 10 rounds fired. And i have shot the different types/brands back to back. But I’m not firing that many rounds of each, it almost always under 10. So the gun not getting super hot.

agelewei

To echo what @pointblank said, no two barrels are exactly alike. I’d advise testing different loadings to figure out which one performs to your expectations. Then buy as much of that lot as you can afford, because there is variance between lots. The freedom munitions is probably performing as well as you should expect, and if you remove the flyer from the Sig group, that’s not a half bad group.

Farmboy20

I recently purchased a pws ar10 in 308. What is some good ammo to buy for practice? Also I know with 556 77gr smk is what u buy to see how accurate ur gun is what is the equivalent of that in 308? For the record this is going be ran with 1-10 vortex razor hd gen 3. Kinda battle rifle/dmr gun shoot out to 400-500 yards

pointblank4445

Established
I recently purchased a pws ar10 in 308. What is some good ammo to buy for practice? Also I know with 556 77gr smk is what u buy to see how accurate ur gun is what is the equivalent of that in 308? For the record this is going be ran with 1-10 vortex razor hd gen 3. Kinda battle rifle/dmr gun shoot out to 400-500 yards

175smk Fed GMM is probably a similar standard parallel for what 77smk is to 5.56.
If you have any ammo doubts what so ever, I would try factory Lapua, specifically 155gr Scenar because inside your range parameters, the decent ballistic coefficient pushed at the higher speeds due to lighter projectile will benefit you. Lapua is a little pricey but I've yet to see it not run well in any 308 yet (note: Seen more than a few 1-raggedy-hole test groups on KAC EMCs tested with 167gr Lapua Scenar ammo)

pointblank4445

Established
Just a heads up, Norma has some "inexpensive" 168gr 308 currently at $1.20/round. 168gr otm's are the OG, but have been pushed to the back seat by either higher BC bullets or more efficient (or better) lighter bullets going faster.
I would equate match 168gr 308 to a 69gr match in 5.56 in that respect.

Depending on twist rate of your barrel this could also be a consideration until you want to push distances (and have to deal with trans sonic stability issues).