AAR Video Dave Spaulding Critical Space Pistol - May 18-19 MN

Dave Timm

Hello,

A couple of months ago we host Dave Spaulding from Hamdgun Combatives for his Critical Space Pistol 2 day course. I've had the privilege of training with Dave before and really enjoy his style as well as the lessons delivered. His methods and techniques are based on his experience as well as the hundreds of deadly force encounters he has studied. That alone was an interesting topic for me, he researched a lot of OIS and combat situations to gather as much information as he could. What I found interesting was how he started doing his research with visiting VFWs and so on. I won't go into a ton of detail but he shared some interesting findings from a few shootings and explained their relevance in class.

Class was two days and focused on use of the pistol in close space. Day 1 started with some marksmanship assessment to see where the class was at as well and a nice refresher from his previous courses of draw, presentation, arc of ready, movement and retention. This played very well from the course I took from him last year, Enahced Combative Pistol. Day 2 continued with more drills and scenarios that reinforced skills for up close pistol work.

I am not much of a writer but I do enjoy making videos and Dave was happy to help out in making our AAR video of this class. We try to do a video AAR with clips and footage from the class versus a traditional written AAR. Truth be told with viewing footage and editing it would probably be easier to write them but the students have given positive feedback about the Video AAR version and it's nice to see what we are talking about.

Look forward to your discussion

Thanks, Dave