AAR SSV Concepts Carbine 1 7.16.2016

Andrew Y.

SSV Concepts Carbine 1 AAR
Hosted and taught by Rick Largesse
7/16/2016
Searsboro IA, Big Springs Range.

From SSV's website:
This course is meant for the beginner to intermediate rifle shooter, but will reinforce positive fundamentals in experienced shooters as well. It is designed to focus on the basics of semi-automatic rifle operation, nomenclature, maintenance, equipment selection and marksmanship. The course will provide a base of knowledge for students to build upon and will progress based on the skill level of the class as a whole.

My goal in taking this class was mainly to get back into shooting with a rifle and train with SSV who is local to me. A secondary goal was to get to know the range and local area for future classes.

Day 1
I arrived at 7.45am and unloaded gear. One other student showed up, and Rick informed us that we were the only two shooters. The other student had taken previous classes as well so it was agreed we would pick up the pace to a 1.5 level pending performance.

Following an intro portion and medical brief, we got to shooting. The other shooter had added an optic so we started the day at 25yd to get on paper, and then jumped back to 50 to confirm zeros. We then moved to 100 and Rick walked us through basic trajectory and ballistics. Following a few groups on B8s, Rick would offer suggestions or observations.

Next we worked on positional shooting, I rarely practiced sitting or kneeling and it showed. The body mechanics of sitting to create a stable platform were crucial and I really got to figure out what works for me. This lesson was ended with a drill consisting of 5 shots from standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone all for time shooting at cardboard IPSCs. From this point on, almost everything was timed and graded.

We broke for lunch and carpooled to a local Subway, ate fast, and were back on the range 30mins later.

After lunch we worked a variety of drills that focused on recoil control, target transitions, ready positions, height over bore, and shooting cadence. My cadence is awful, as is my counting, so this area of the day was probably most eye opening to me. It will definitely be an area I work on in the future.

The most beneficial was doing drills on the shot timer where the other shooter and I would each set a standard for our self, then run it a few time ps against each other racing each other and the clock, and then see what our new time was. It forced me to push limits, the other student is a serious athlete with some very fast reflexes, racing him really pushed the slowness outta me.

All of this culminated in the Soulcrusher, a Frank Proctor drill. Start at the 5, on the beep sprint to the 25, 5 rounds to a 4x6" box, sprint to the 15, 5 rounds, and then to the 10, 5 rounds. Par time is 25 seconds, the goal being to push speed but slow down for hits, this drill is different from others others in that the movement between stations messes with your internal clock and you start to rush shots. I may be slightly off on this, but I've seen a few variations and either way, it's soul crushing.

We ended the day at 4.00, with the last drill being a 100yd 5 shot group, in Rick's words, accuracy first and last because it's the most important.

Notes:

Because of the 2:1 ratio, this class was more like a discussion on shooting and then a practical application, if that makes sense. It was very informal and conversational but still serious when necessary.

Rick is a laid back dude who's primary concern is performance, as long as you are safe, you can run it how you brung it. He runs a hot range and expects safe gun handling and proper use of the safety. If a gun was unattended it was expected to be unloaded.

The range is nice and grassy, high berms, plenty of parking and excellent target stands. The pavilion is nice, however with only three shooting benches and a gun rack, larger classes could be sitting and using gear on the ground. Rick provided water, and there is a porta potty on site.

The weather was excellent. Mid 70s, slight breeze, a few clouds. Good weather is not required but certainly makes learning easier.

This range (Big Springs) is owned by Brownells, they are located 12 miles up the road and sell everything on the website through a store front, so spare parts are easily obtained. They also have ammo should you need extra.

No gear issues, other than my ear pro battery dying and a bipod that was dispensed with early in the day.

I had no cell service, I'm not usually on my phone during class but if you have requirements or special circumstances be aware.

Gear:
BFG Ten Speed belt pouch and a BCM / DD rifle with an Aimpoint Pro and Magpul sling. I used all Pmags and PMC 55 gr. ammo. My only comment would be that the Ten Speed was pretty new and tight so some mag changes were not as smooth as could be. I shot 420 rounds, with no malfunctions. Only gear change would be to swap the trigger, I am not a fan of the BCM PNT or whatever it's called. Rather heavy and the weirdest reset I've ever felt in a trigger.

Any questions let me know.