AAR: Principles of CQB Joint Training Facility at Blue Force Gear

Foodie

TL;DR: This is an excellent course with as much intellectual rigor as physicality. The facility is top notch and allowed a small group of motivated students to cram as much coursework into a day as possible. The potential for multi-day courses of the same variety is exciting and I will be back when that happens.

Course Description: "The JTF@BFG's Principles of CQB Course is a 10 hour block focuses on understanding the fundamental truths required for successful applications of fighting inside structures. This course is built around the foundational building block of CQB, the two-person team. Topics covered in this course include intuitive judgement, priority of life, threshold procedures, team communication, room processing, CQB shapes identification and negotiation principles.

Instructor: Chris Sizelove

Location: Blue Force Gear's Joint Training Facility in Pooler, GA

Date: August 15, 2020 8:00AM to 7:30PM

Equipment:
Eye Pro
AR15 (everyone used 10.5-12.5" barrels but 14.5-16" barrels would work just fine)
Pen and Paper (full size pad as you will take copious notes quickly)
Pistol and Holster
As much or as little kit as you want to bring
They also had plenty of rental gear/guns available.
Half the class used rental lowers since their LAW folders didn't function with UTM bolts

Background: I am a civilian who has been a member of the training community for several years and trained with multiple talented instructors. I also compete in various pistol/rifle/gas gun matches. My only CQB experience prior to this class was the typical military powerpoint briefing.

Overview: Chris did an excellent job of breaking down the fundamental principles as mentioned in the description. He started from the foundation level explanation of what was necessary and then moved into the techniques utilized to maintain those principles while moving through shapes with a partner. All information was written on a whiteboard for students to copy. I recommend a full size note pad because you will take pages of notes and draw diagrams that won't fit in 3"x5" notebooks. It was also explained, and should be reiterated to anyone taking this class, that this is a problem-solving course not a tactics course. You will be given stacking heuristics and asked to utilize them while working with a partner. Chris's depth of knowledge is evident in his ability to explain every part of his curriculum and teach it utilizing adult learning principles. Each layer of new information was taught, practiced, and then integrated with other lessons learned up to that point.

I was fortunate to be in a small class with dedicated individuals so we started early, took a quick on-site lunch, and stayed an hour and a half late. This gave every group multiple runs through BFG's impressive indoor non-ballistic shoothouse with oversight from Chris. He was able to walk with us to lend a guiding hand where necessary and review each run after the fact to maximize learning. The indoor facility means it's comfortable year round, bad weather is a non-issue, and low light could be incorporated regardless of the time of day. I am excited to see what else will be offered here as I know Chris has the ambition and skill to develop it.

Students would be well served to come to this course with safe gun handling as second nature. Maintaining muzzle discipline and having subconscious competence on your manipulations will allow you to focus on applying this new information. All that said, despite my experience, I was overwhelmed at times. You are able to take everything at your own pace and Chris will work with you but it is easy to "think with your feet" and try to simply move with a gun.

Obviously this course would be useful to military or law enforcement working in pairs/groups that may be called upon to search inside a building. Civilians who carry a gun or keep one for self defense would also be well-served with the information provided here. These techniques are broken down in a way that they could be utilized anywhere from a bump in the night to a CCW shooting in a parking lot.

Last edited:

chasnojm

I saw some pictures from this. I definitely want to get in on the next one. As a side note, what part of the UTM bolt didn't work? I have a UTM bolt that works fine with LAW folders, unless you mean the "check the bore" plug wasn't removed.

Foodie

That plug was the issue. We weren’t certain it could be removed and we didn’t want to break a rental. I assume it just has to be punched out of there?

Chris Sizelove

Staff member
Foodie - Thanks for the AAR Brother. You guys were a great group of guinea pigs for this POI. It almost ran 12 hours for a one day course, mostly because you guys were all hardcore and finished strong. The building blocks are now there and ready to be taken further down the road, which is the only intent for this course.

I took zero photos because I never think about it, if you have a few feel free to post here.

The LAW folder / UTM bolt issue I will dig into more and figure out what the solution is. My crystal ball tells me that will be a recurring issue. Some testing is in order for today. There's an AR pistol in my stable that I have not played around with yet as it relates to getting the UTM bolts to work with it.

Thanks again gents.
V/R
Chris

chasnojm

Chris, I've got a HK 416 bolt (which works in standard AR's) It functions fine with my three LAW folders with either a Super 42 H2 or VLTOR A5 with H2/Spring Co. I'm curious what seemed to not function.

Chris Sizelove

Staff member
Testing Complete

Removing the "check bore" plug in the FoF bolt and inserting the LAW bolt carrier extension into the back of the blue bolt resulted in a completely functional gun. No issues at all.

Thanks for the info Gents. Always learn great shit on this forum.

chasnojm

No doubt! I was very pleased to see that I could utilize my LAW equipped rifles with the UTM bolt and that it ran reliably without swapping to lighter buffer systems. That would have been a huge drag as it seems other force on force products aren't as reliable.