AAR: OTG LE VEHICLE TACTICS – NASHVILLE AIRPORT POLICE DEPT - 08/28/17 -08/30/17

dont_tread_on_me

Outpost Training Group (OTG) conducted a law enforcement Vehicle Tactics class at the Nashville Airport PD range 28AUG-30AUG2017. This was a tactics and techniques class designed for and restricted to law enforcement. Officers are accustomed to training in/around structures but vehicles not so much. The reality is that most patrol, crime suppression, and narc work is in/around vehicles. The goals of the class were (paraphrased):

1. Use accurate fire to stop an attack.
  2. Do it from a position of minimal exposure (use the cover available to you).

WX:

1: 75, drizzle

2: 87, sunny

3: 86, sunny

TD1 started off with a safety and medical brief. The first point of instruction was positional shooting. To accomplish this we used barricades as the piece of cover and ran through kneeling, standard/urban prone, “puppy dog”, and scuba prone. We used these positions both shooting a 9-hole barricade as well as other items used to simulate the shape of a car or other cover. We received great instruction on how to get into and out of position and lots of reps doing so.

After a quick lunch three sacrificial vehicles were brought out on to the range. We worked shooting around the vehicles (DON’T CROWD COVER) and some team movement drills.

Then we started in on a vehicle ballistics lab. We saw first hand how different materials responded to rifle and handgun rounds. We also learned techniques on how to mitigate the ballistic cover of a vehicle. Students were able to shoot duty ammo into actual vehicles and see how it performed.

TD1 ended with a small competition on the 9-hole barricades which is pretty fun. After a brief hotwash we broke for the day.

TD2 began with safety/medical briefs and then the 300 point aggregate. Cold. This was a pretty good accuracy drill and also a bit of a challenge cold.

We immediately went back into more vehicle ballistics. It is eye opening to see how much a car can soak up in the way of bullets. Even the best bonded stuff can get deflected or caught. The cheap stuff that can be bought by Joe Dirt at Walmart (M855) can perform well enough to kill you.

Next we went into emergency evacuation drills. This was great material and something I plan on incorporating into my everyday routine. We were able to drill, live fire, fighting from and then exiting the vehicle.

A quick lunch and break from the heat was welcome. After lunch we went into traffic stops. It’s something that’s an essential part of policing and we all know it can be deadly. With good strategies and using angles to your advantage it’s possible to successfully reset someones decision making process and win the fight. This was more material I plan on using every single day.

TD2 ended with another 300 point aggregate and de-brief.

TD3 was all force on force. The instructors brought in some role players who were NOT cops as op-for. This helped keep the scenarios from becoming a measuring contest or a game. Pain is a good instructor and getting shot at and tagged with UTMs helps get the adrenaline flowing and helps you see how you react under stress. I’ve done FoF training before but I think it’s safe to say I haven’t done as much of it as I’d like to, nor as frequently. We were able to run three scenarios and they were eye opening. NONE of the scenarios are far from what could be expected of anyone policing on the street. I must honestly say I didn’t perform at the level I would have liked to.

The class size was small and everyone was super motivated. Things ran extremely efficiently because everyone pitched in moving stuff, pasting targets, etc.. The round count was also not extreme because this wasn’t just a shooting class per se. I don’t remember any gun or equipment issues except for one ALS holster locking up after having the ALS mechanism partially dislodged while working on the ground. Gear wise I ran a Velocity OUB with Ares liner, 7TS ALS holster, and ESSTAC KYWI pouch. No issues with any of that and it approximates other belts I wear. Velocity LPAC did a solid job as usual and a Dead Bird combat jacket came in handy on day one with the light rain and pit zips helped with the heat. BCMs and Glocks ran as expected.

A HUGE thanks to Bill Toy. He has very graciously allowed me to come train gratis on a couple of occasions and it has been some of the best instruction I have ever received. This was my first time meeting and training with Troy Hooker and I was super impressed. Both instructors are the epitome of humble and professional. Also a big thanks to the Nashville Airport PD for hosting. I plan on hitting Night Fighter next month and would highly recommend OTG to anyone.