AAR of Tap-Rack Tactical Pistol Instructor course June 15-19, 2015

I recently attended Tap Rack Tactical Pistol Instructor course in Kent, Washington. If you have not heard of Tap Rack Tactical your missing out on quality training delivered by one of the leading instructors in the law enforcement community. I have completed multiple courses from Bill Blowers who owns Tap Rack Tactical and Bill always throws down at a high level. With my experience with Bill I knew there were going to be some wrinkles to the course. From the course list and with the requirement of a left-handed holster I could only start to imagine how the gears were turning in Bill’s head.

This is not your typical instructor class because you’re not going to be taught how to read from a manual. I believe that Bill wants his instructors to be able to think and not just memorize the how but also know the why. I personally have good amount of shooting classes under my belt and this helped me a great deal with how the class was structured. You truly need a good understanding of the fundamentals of shooting before attending this course or any instructor course. Its not Bill’s job to hold your hand and this is how to read from a manual. What Bill teaches at his agency may be different than what your agency teaches. Again, know how to run a pistol, rifle, or shotgun before becoming an instructor. You will do yourself and your future students a great disservice if you don’t do this. This directly relates to the 10-80-10 rule. We need to start teaching to the 80 percent and the top 10% in departments and put some positive peer pressure on the 10% that don’t care. If you wear the instructor merit badge at your police department you need to be seeking knowledge and continually pushing your skills to the next level. If you’re slacking your officers will slack.

We did a good amount of one-handed manipulations and it taught me a great deal about grip pressure how it effects my one handed shooting. I was pleased to have this knowledge gain and continue to work this skill. When I was shooting with my support hand was I still gripping the pistol like I was shooting with both hands. Its taken about two months of practice to work on my strong and support hand shooting to start to be proficient on a scale where I consistently hitting the center of the target. I also learned the importance of drawing at full speed all the time and how it will increase my draw and hand speed.

I really like that we got to shoot a lot in this course and I am a believer in putting rounds down range to teach concepts. I can agree its good to talk about ideas and concepts inside the classroom but nothing beats doing it with live fire. I thought Bill gave us the tools to be able to better self-diagnose are shooting and have the ability to apply what we learned to are fellow officers. Bill had a list of drills that we shot and he talked about tracking performance like tracking workouts in the gym. Bill also spent time talking about raw time vs actual time it takes to complete a drill or repetition. It was interesting to see how fast I could shoot one shot from the timer. Then we shot one round with a reload and one round. I was able to understand the importance of hand speed and being able to connect the dots with processing each individual step faster. I hate the saying slow is smooth and smooth is fast because slow with always be slow.

Overall this is a great course and I was extremely pleased with the knowledge that I took away. Bill provides knowledge and experience you could only receive from a well-seasoned veteran. Additionally, I just touched on some of the course information and you need to check out Tap Rack Tactical and be a student in any of his courses. Just make sure your ready to work and challenge your thinking. Thank-you for your time!

Shootology