AAR FPF Shotgun Skills 17 February 2018

JLL2013

This was a one day class held at the confidential FPF range in Culpeper VA. Instructors were Tim Chandler and Ashton Ray. Class description is as follows:
"Shotgun Skills builds upon the fundamentals taught in Home Defense Shotgun. The basics will be reinforced, but students will be pushed to improve speed and accuracy with the shotgun on single targets, challenging multiple target arrays, and in competitive timed shooting. Shotgun Skills will also cover the application and use of slugs, use of the shotgun in close quarters, and the basics of approaching corners with a long gun. At the end of the day students will shoot an abbreviated slug and buckshot qualification similar to law enforcement shotgun qualification courses for the shotgun.
Minimum round count: 125 birdshot, 125 buckshot, 25 slugs
Note: If circumstances permit the class may shoot more than the advertised minimum…bringing an extra box or two of birdshot may not be a bad idea."

Class size was around a dozen, ran in two strings with two instructors. Excellent student to instructor ratio.
Class started around 0900 with a thorough safety brief. Highlights included the understanding that an accident with a shotgun results in a traumatic amputation, not merely a serious wound. We moved on to covering the push-pull method in order to mitigate recoil, loading techniques and a variety of drills incorporating stress of time, multiple targets, etc. All shooting was done at the 10yd line on steel. This target medium was excellent for feedback and endured not only the barrage of 12 gauge but the freezing rain that started around lunch.
The class certainly delivered on the chance to shoot more than the minimum round count. I went through approximately 100 birdshot, 200buckshot. 1600 marked the end of the class due to weather conditions; too dark and the weather began to have an effect on safety.
Gear requirements were low: just a shotgun and a way to carry ammo. I did fine with a side saddle and $7 bandito belt from Midway. Shotguns in class were largely 870s with a sizable minority of Beretta 1301s with Aridus accessories common to them.
All in all a great class and I'm looking forward to doing more shotgun work in the future.

https://www.fpftraining.com/products/shotgun-skills