AAR for Urban Defense Concepts "Night Vision Operations"

Kestrel16

AAR

Date: 10/21-10/22/2016

Instructor: Michael Keegan

Company: Urban Defense Concepts

Class: Night Vision Operations

The Utah Practical Shooting Range is a massive public shooting complex located in the wide open desert of southern Utah, surrounded by rocky mesa’s and table landforms. Normally this country would be quite hot during the day, but being that this was a night vision class taking place from dusk till midnight the climate was perfect.

When I arrived at the range around 4:30 I was met by a class of three additional individuals who were already prepared and ready to start the class and begin learning. After a half hour or so of small talk we were rallied together to give our official introductions and begin receiving instruction. I soon realized that I was in the company of very professional and capable students, two of which were seasoned special operations veterans, another an experienced law enforcement officer, leaving myself to be the only civilian. At four students total this class was
definitely small, but the high caliber of the individuals participating enabled us to move quickly and cover more ground.

Instructor Michael Keegan possesses a wealth of experience and knowledge, both being proven and tested in the real world. Keegan is a former SWAT, gang enforcement, patrol and investigative officer with a California metropolitan agency, who has also spent years leading the global training and night vision applications for a laser aiming device company, while also being under contract with several other defense companies. As such, he is uniquely able to address technical and theoretical aspects of night vision, as well as the real world employment of these
devices. Every question I had whether tactical or technical Keegan had an answer for.

We started off the class with a detailed, yet concise lecture on the various types of aiming lasers and night vision on the market today, and some of the pros and cons. Much of the focus of the lecture was on the aiming lasers, and their use. After talking about the basic workings of the lasers, why some are more durable than others, what to expect in varying climates with different colored lasers, and different types of laser zeros and their benefits, we began learning about the employment of the laser. In short, lasers lend a wide variety of added capability to the user when employed properly. Lasers enable us to get on target without getting sucked into an optic.
They also give us the ability to communicate more effectively with friendlies, see what our teammates are engaging or covering, shoot in unorthodox shooting positions more effectively and even range find, all on top of being able to aim our weapons at night. When this class started, I was convinced I needed to save up and invest in a PVS-14 night vision monocle to get my night vision kit started off right. By the end of the first night, gone was the need for a monocle, I needed to get my hands on a quality aiming laser.

We then all got on the line and ran through some very basic carbine drills at varying distances with the very aiming lasers we had just learned about. As we were adding a new layer to our skills and equipment, using the new laser devices came naturally. As the evening wore on, the drills became more complex, and our comfort and ability with the devices grew. Running familiar drills with the new equipment helped me to better understand its place in my kit. I could see where some targets would be better engaged with an optic, while many others would be with a laser. Working momentary weapon lights and a laser at the same time is hard to get used to, but it was a good thing to encounter in a class setting. It taught me that there was a place for weapon lights to have a “click on” function, so I could keep my target illuminated while engaging and disengaging my visible laser. By the time we were ready to break out night vision, it was
dark.

Very early Keegan ingrained into us the importance of the fact that night vision is a tool of observation. We use night vision to take in information, and assess said information. An analogy of this would be the difference between spotting scopes, and rifle scopes. One is made for information processing, the other engagement of a target. Another key thing we were told is to slow down, and then slow down some more. Night Vision, while significantly improving on what we can observe at night without giving away our position, also severely restricts our field of view. Quick, and snappy turns of the head left and right do not help in any way with night vision on. Anytime you look anywhere with night vision it needs to be deliberate, purposeful and slow otherwise you will not take in enough information. To put us into this mindset as well as get us used to the equipment, we were taken on a night walk over the rough, broken ground of the Utah desert. Observing the ground in front of you and navigating it effectively, while also scanning your surroundings for threats takes patience and confidence. It also helps to walk with your toes up to minimize tripping. Once we finished the walk, it was back to the firing line to work some of the same drills we did previously. Once again, we naturally and quickly integrated this new layer on top of our foundation, and were ready for the next phase: The Gully Run.

Keegan follows the tried and true “crawl, walk, run” format of instruction that flows so well when learning new skills and abilities. That being said, when you get to “run”, its a true “run”! The Gully Run was a course of fire with targets of varying distance placed all throughout a sizable and very uneven piece of land that fed into a narrow ravine. Some targets were friendly, others were hostile, and there might even be some hostages out there. This forced me to really slow down, check and identify each target, and engage the hostile targets as accurately as possible all without tripping and dashing my ego on a rock. Usually when put to some kind of test, I tend
to fall back on what I know, leaving the new material behind in favor of the tried and true principles I am familiar with. Here I was forced to rely on the new principles, and I was glad for it as it showed me that the equipment and things I had learned not only worked, but worked extremely well. I gained a ton of confidence with the aiming laser and the capabilities it gave my weapon, particularly at longer ranges. It was seamless and easy to move from target to target, close to far, and get solid hits.

This is a testament to Keegan’s style of training which follows a very natural progression throughout the class. He feeds you the pieces of the puzzle at the perfect speed to get everything together, without you being confused and overwhelmed. Every round we fired had a purpose, and every drill we ran was the next logical step in the skill we were learning. The natural, and intuitive flow of this class is probably the best I've ever experienced.

Classes like Night Vision Operations layer a new skill or ability on top of an already established foundation of basics. As such, anyone attending this class should be very proficient in the employment of basic carbine and pistol handling, so the class can focus on the task at hand, and not be tied down by remedial training to bring a student up to speed. I was glad that this class did not experience that and we were able to stay focused the entire time. As I mentioned before, the entire class was made up of very professional students. I could not have asked for better classmates. In addition to being highly skilled and capable, they were humble and enjoyable to be around and I was honored to share a range space with them.

A special thanks to Larry Atil of Pillar Media Group! I highly recommend him for any of your media needs. All picture credits here go to him.

14876641_1322681091086155_392730048147475552_o.jpg 14918908_1322681087752822_3926096582579708415_o.jpg 14939965_1322681081086156_5251729006536765287_o.jpg 14876404_1322681177752813_4616509983063891540_o.jpg

victran

Amateur
Mike is a great dude, trained with him at LMS a few months back. Wish he'd host more classes out in Kali!