AAR - Civilian Medical I, offered by We Like Shooting - Colorado

Zecred

We Like Shooting, Civilian Medical I AAR

Date: 2/10/2018
Instructor: Shawn Herrin

Course Description:
"This class is for civilian students that understand the world is a dangerous place. Medical skills are imperative to round out an individual skill set. Whether reacting to a household accident, the aftermath of an active killer incident, bombing or other traumatic incident we will ensure that you are prepared to react. This is not a basic first aid class and only covers traumatic injuries and treatments. No invasive interventions are taught in this class."

Course Topics:
-Situational treatment strategies and phases of care.
-Medical protocols
-How to assess and treat symptoms common in traumatic injuries, such as:
-Massive hemorrhaging
-Airway
-Respiration
-Circulation
-Head Injury / Hypothermia
-Proper application of tourniquets
-Wound packing Discussion and recommendations for trauma kits

--End Course Information--

Student Expectations:
Based upon the course description, I expected a well-rounded overview of traumatic injury care specifically for the "Good Samaritan", or civilian responder. However, my primary focus was to learn how to properly apply tourniquets and pack wounds to occlude blood flow. As far as I was concerned, my full course fee was dedicated to learning those two specific skills.

Classroom:
Shawn conducted the class with a very active teaching format, allowing plenty of time for student questions and practical in-class demonstrations of the techniques in the discussion. Retention was excellent as a result of the demonstrations being shown immediately in the classroom portion, then reinforced in a separate class portion. Explanations were concise and clear, simplifying concepts to a level suitable for those without a medical background. Shawn kept the class very well engaged by asking students to demonstrate techniques on each other and on themselves; he also asked questions often to check understanding.

Practical Applications / Scenarios:
One particular item of note was Shawn's attention to safety concerns for first responders. We know this is absolutely critical, and its emphasis was appreciated. The scenarios in the class reflected this emphasis, and students were forced to think on their feet to ensure that scenes were safe to work with. Students were also asked to pack their own medical kits (which created learning opportunities if a student ran out of materials) from the training items he had available, and each scenario was discussed at length to help students place patient prioritization, injury assessment, and scene safety into context.

Post-Instruction:
Shawn took extra time to openly gather feedback from the students, and was very receptive to all feedback provided. He also challenged students to recognize their own strengths and areas of opportunity for further training or consideration.

In sum, (and for a TL;DR) I would recommend this class for any person who wishes to be well-versed in the fundamentals of being the first responder, especially those who are just beginning to approach medical concepts beyond basic first aid. Shawn creates a friendly and relaxed environment, which is critical for effective learning, and places the safety of his students above all else.

Attachments

• 28278528_10213458837858177_1660569128_o.jpg
    28278528_10213458837858177_1660569128_o.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 6