AA battery Scout light from SureFire

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator

Matt Stutzenburg
May 24 at 12:48pm

Looking for non-BS, realistic feed back on this product.

Moved from Barracks to Primary per Landfair.

http://www.breachbangclear.com/aa-battery-scout-light/

"}" data-reactid=".ar" style="color: rgb(109, 132, 180); cursor: pointer;">Like · Comment
  • George Bagley and Charles Riggs like this.

• Arin F Lousignont
    Don't put alkalines in it. No bs.
    May 24 at 12:49pm · Like · 1

• Matt Stutzenburg
    Wouldn't bother with them outside of a dire emergency in this application.
    May 24 at 12:56pm · Edited · Like · 1

• Matt James
    Says it will run on both Arin.
    May 24 at 12:51pm · Edited · Like · 1

• Arin F Lousignont
    Not a matter of whether it will run. It's how long you have before the alkaline spits it's acid guts out and kills your light. Alkalines don't like shock. One of the reasons the n battery Eotechs are the biggest turds in the rds world.
    May 24 at 12:53pm · Like · 2

• Jonathan Davis
    I won't be buying this iteration of it. But I like the direction they are going with batteries that can be readily had from a convenience store.
    May 24 at 12:54pm · Like · 2

• Matt Stutzenburg
    Nearly everything I have in general kit needs to be easy to replenish, have multiple uses, or be so irreplaceable that I warrant the exclusivity of the product worth it and purchase back ups.

Quality AA batteries would be cheaper to use, and would be a common type to have in my bag, instead of a bunch of AA and CR123'S.

Not for professional use, just a solid light that will work on commonly found batteries.
    May 24 at 12:56pm · Edited · Like · 1

• Matt Wicks
    It's a scout light, it is less bright than one that takes CR123s but it takes AAs which you can find anywhere in the world. That's pretty much it.
    May 24 at 12:55pm · Like · 2

• Ike Stephens
    Per the Surefire rep I talked to...

They designed this light (and are coming out with several other models as well) for those that are over seas and may not have the availability of CR123s.

The theory behind it is you can use the lithiums when available but if all you have are alkalines then you can use those as well without having to put on a new light.

It should be noted that the output is significantly lower with the alkalines. But this was designed to give you options.
    May 24 at 12:57pm · Edited · Like · 4

• Aaron Williams
    Depends on use; extra gear light sure, primary weapon light? Nope I want all the lumens I can get on board
    May 24 at 12:56pm · Like · 1

• Karl North
    How is 200 lumens with lithium, and a third that with alkaline at all impressive?

Are there not plenty of AA & AAA alkaline lights on the market now capable of 200 lumens?
    May 24 at 12:59pm · Like · 1

• Jonathan Davis
    Give it a few years. I'm sure before it's all said and done they will find a way to crank out enough lumens from a AA powered light that the idea of replacing my P3X won't seem retarded.
    May 24 at 1:00pm · Like · 2

• Kevin Reed
    I applaud it.

CR123s cannot be found everywhere and in a worst case scenario they'll dry up posts haste. AAs are "everywhere" and despite the huge drop in performance it beats pulling the Scout off of the rifle due to not having *ANY* batteries.

I don't believe I need as many lumens as they offer. How many hours would I get with 150 lumens?

I'll admit I'm thinking more or less LONG-TERM SURVIVAL not a single or a few skirmishes/gun battles.
    May 24 at 1:02pm · Like · 1

• Matt Stutzenburg
    If my job was turning doors inside out it'd be a different story.

It's not, and because my non-professional training cost comes out of pocket, any corners I can REASONABLY cut off I will do so.

I've waiting a long time to see this concept, I'm just curious to know if it's worth the loss of money on the front and back side to go this direction.
    May 24 at 1:05pm · Like

• Karl North
    I am sure that will happen, but that is exactly why I disagree with this article stating that surefire pioneers the light industry. I love surefire, but the only thing they have going for them is being bombproof. Which is very recommendable, because seemingly every other company cannot manage to make a robust light in comparison.

But, how long did it take surefire to adopt Cree 4 led? (Or whatever you call it)... It was practically an industry standard by the time they even acknowledged its existence.

I guess what bothers me is the price.

I don't always need 200+ lumens, but if I pay over $200, I better get it.
    May 24 at 1:07pm · Like · 1

• Arin F Lousignont
    Sure fire is about build quality and warranty. Not innovation. They are always behind the technology curve. For instance, this makes 900 lumens.

May 24 at 1:14pm · Like · 2

• Steven McCarroll
    My surefire 9p's take 3 cr123's, make 120 lumens and run 1.5 hours. With a LED conversion they run 12 hours at 300 lumens IIRC. This sounds like a good deal, since I can get AA batteries anywhere.
    May 24 at 1:15pm · Like

• Karl North
    my point exactly... and what light is that? Arin
    May 24 at 1:15pm · Like

• Arin F Lousignont
    nitecore ea11
    May 24 at 1:16pm · Like

• Ike Stephens
    This was discussed in another thread but the lumen count alone does not dictate brightness.

Another valid point is what good is 900 lumens if the flashlight stops working because it was dropped or banged up?
    May 24 at 1:17pm · Edited · Like · 2

• Steven McCarroll
    I bought several Streamlight Strion HDL rechargeable lights. 600 lumens and good quality.
    May 24 at 1:17pm · Like · 2

• Ike Stephens
    But we're getting off topic now. Maybe we need a new thread.
    May 24 at 1:18pm · Like · 1

• Arin F Lousignont
    im not making the point that any or all flashlights NEED to be 900 lumens....merely making the point that there is always a giant rift between Surefires offerings and flashlight technology at any given point in time.
    May 24 at 1:18pm · Like · 4

• Karl North
    The topic is realistic feedback of it being viable??
    May 24 at 1:19pm · Like · 1

• Steven McCarroll
    Ike Stephens I made a flashlight thread a while back. Good info in there.
    May 24 at 1:19pm · Like · 2

• Matt Stutzenburg
    To my shame, I just checked prices on Surefire CR123'S, and they have come WAY down in price since I last checked...
    May 24 at 1:20pm · Like · 1

• Steven McCarroll
    With the Strion I can shoot at night out to 200 yards on coyote. How much more light do you need?
    May 24 at 1:20pm · Like · 1

• Arin F Lousignont
    Its a flashlight. Even with alkalines in it, it will be 1000 times more durable and put out more lumens than the incandescent lights we had like less than a decade ago. why wouldnt it be viable?
    May 24 at 1:21pm · Like · 2

• Kevin Reed
    200 is fine. Having that much light reflecting back into your OWN eyes is bedazzling...
    May 24 at 1:22pm · Like · 2

• Steven McCarroll
    Just get a hellfighter.
    May 24 at 1:24pm · Like · 2

• Matt Landfair
    Kevin- we have covered that in a few threads and a great majority have disagreed with that assessment.
    May 24 at 1:31pm · Like · 1

• Matt Landfair
    Further- I want more than 200 on everything if I can have it.
    May 24 at 1:31pm · Like · 1

• Jeremy Stafford
    It's a compromise, no doubt. But given it's intended end user, it makes sense. I used one pretty hard (+/- 1500 rounds in 2 nights) on an AK using SureFires new AK mount and it worked just fine out to a hundred or so on a dark Vegas night. Reflection off of the gas wasn't too much of an issue, even full auto. Skahill told me that some of people that requested it were already running it and happy. Not in my mission profile, but I'm glad that the guys that want it can have it.
    May 24 at 1:37pm · Unlike · 1

• Matt Stutzenburg
    So given the fact that not all lights are equal, is this a viable option as an "Oh Shit" back up?
    May 24 at 1:38pm · Like

• Matt Wicks
    Why is your backup not the same as your primary?
    May 24 at 1:39pm · Like

• Steven McCarroll
    How does it do with rechargeable AA's?
    May 24 at 1:39pm · Unlike · 1

• Jeremy Stafford
    I think it's a great shtf backup if cr123's become super scarce, but it's not cheap.
    May 24 at 1:39pm · Like

• Matt Wicks
    If you are actually seriously concerned about "SHTF" why don't you have a stock of all the batteries you would need?
    May 24 at 1:41pm · Like

• Matt Wicks
    Scavenging should not be your primary COA or even your back up COA.
    May 24 at 1:42pm · Like

• Jeremy Stafford
    Matt, I'm not disagreeing with you, especially since you could buy a shit ton of CR123s for the price of the light. But if someone was building their kit specifically for that scenario, a light that runs on AAs is not a bad idea.
    May 24 at 1:47pm · Like · 1

• Matt Wicks
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the market for these AA scouts seems to be government folks who are really far from the flag pole and need a low profile that means no giant log train feeding them consumables. Therefor they buy local. SF just put it on the market to get some extra $$$ to backfill the T&E and R&D that went into it that they won't get back out of the limited gov sales.
    May 24 at 1:51pm · Edited · Like · 2

• Steven McCarroll
    Not at all, especially since a small solar panel and a large charger will keep your light running indefinitely. My place is off the grid. I use solar lights and solar panels with battery storage. I have tried out a huge variety of lights and batteries.
    May 24 at 1:50pm · Like · 1

• Matt Stutzenburg
    No one here with any knowledge or RLE is going to argue the merits of Surefire or their CR123 torches.

That being said, everyone buys kit for one reason or another, not every reason over lapping.

I disregarded CR123 lights back in the early 2000's when a gift from LE needed to be fed frequently, and when my old Top borrowed that light, it came back to me inop.

I never saw the need to replace said light due to the cost until recently, and now I know that the price of fuel is cheaper for these things, I may lean back towards CR123.

That said, I think this light may have a place, I'm just trying to see if people have negative feed back for it that would discourage the expendature.
    May 24 at 1:54pm · Like

• Jeremy Stafford
    That and LEO that have ready access to tons of AA but are scarce with 123. A 200 lumen scout light on a pool gun that runs on batteries already in the supply system makes sense to an agency purchaser. Again, not my first choice, but options for everybody are not a bad thing.
    May 24 at 1:54pm · Like

• Matt James
    This was made for people who don't have a massive military supply train and endless DoD budget to pull off of for everything under the sun. Hell, we even had problems getting 123s while on deployment.

123s, quality ones, can be very hard and expensive to get in remote locales.
    May 24 at 1:54pm · Like · 4

• Matt Stutzenburg
    I'm just sitting here thinking how difficult it may be to locate CR123'S when in need of them, which, incidentally, may coincide with people needing a lot of shit they don't already have.

Civilian sector can run CR123'S with no issue until there's an issue requiring civilians to need them in excess of a personal bench stock...
    May 24 at 1:58pm · Edited · Like · 1

• Matt James
    Yeah for guys on contract this is a very good light to have. 123s were bought via the shops locally and e quality was hit/miss, and expensive. It gets up there when your Eotech and X300 run the same batteries.
    At 3-4 bucks a pop.
    May 24 at 2:58pm · Edited · Like · 3

• Steven McCarroll
    I buy the 12 packs of surefire 123's off Amazon for 20$ shipped. Try buying 123's at Wal-Mart in a pinch.
    May 24 at 2:00pm · Like · 1

• Matt Stutzenburg
    Steven, last time I fucked with personally shopping CR123'S they were $3 a pop...

Times have apparently changed.
    May 24 at 2:02pm · Like

• Steven McCarroll
    They are 3$ at my LGS. They sell for a lot more at Wal-Mart. When a flashlight uses 3 3$ batteries an hour you start getting bitchy.
    May 24 at 2:03pm · Like · 1

• Matt Stutzenburg
    And I was using old CR123 tech, which burned through them like a trust fund kid does coke.
    May 24 at 2:04pm · Like · 1

• Steven McCarroll
    I first started using surefires for enclosed space work. They are worth the money that's for sure.
    May 24 at 2:05pm · Like · 1

• Lee Gullett
    I will say that I've been in places where procuring cr123s is a bitch, deployment they were gold because everyone has 123 fed flashlights and no one had batteries. If you were deploying I could see the point, otherwise I see no reason.
    May 24 at 2:06pm · Like · 1

• Matt James
    Not to mention PEQs
    May 24 at 2:07pm · Like · 2

• Lee Gullett
    Matt I'm not that high speed tongue emoticon most of what I used my flashlight for was walking to the smoke deck at 2 am.
    May 24 at 2:08pm · Like · 2

• Michael Oliver
    Tag
    May 24 at 2:21pm · Like

• Matt Wicks
    I see a lot of guys lately commening "Tag" or something similar so they can get notifications of new comments. Pro tip: Go to the original post and click the little thingy that looks like a downward arrow. From there choose "turn on notifications." This is especially usefull for following train wreck threads that you don't want to be associated with.
    May 24 at 2:27pm · Unlike · 9

• Matt Levi
    This light was designed for the DOS DSS guys. It fits that role well and will work for people who need something to run off of on hand easy to find AA's.
    May 24 at 2:58pm · Like · 3

• Karl North
    what do ya'll think of its length? It definitely changes most common setups, Especially if you like the Scout pressure switches.
    May 24 at 3:11pm · Like · 1

• Matt Levi
    I push my Scout as far forward as possible so I don't think if I bought this it would affect anything.
    May 24 at 3:12pm · Like · 1

• Matt James
    Matt Levi- Same
    May 24 at 3:13pm · Like · 2

• Karl North
    I like the idea. I hope, in a couple years, this kind of light will be even more improved. Which, I think it will.
    May 24 at 3:14pm · Like · 2

• Chad Halvorson
    Steven McCarroll, two things. There is a difference between shooting a coyote at 200 yards and distinguishing if a person at 200 yards is a threat or not via the light. Also, solar panels and cycling batteries are another things that can wear out or fail.
    May 24 at 3:39pm · Like · 4

• Steven McCarroll
    Sounds like you need a hellfighter and a MR. Fusion. Everything wears out eventually, but if I can dramatically decrease cost while increasing lifespan I am going to.
    May 24 at 4:23pm · Edited · Like · 1

• Matt Wicks
    I know you are joking around, Steve, but when it comes to shooting people a large majority of the time the ability to be absolute in determining hostile acts or hostile intent can be the only thing standing between you and jail time. The brightest light you can practically carry greatly aids in this.
    May 24 at 4:23pm · Edited · Like · 1

• Steven McCarroll
    What's the effective range per lumen Matt Wicks? I am limited to about 200 yards with a 600 lumen light. At what point do you trade off your dead reliable surefire for a brighter, less reliable light? Is it worth having a quality light that eats inexpensive batteries? I think so.
    May 24 at 4:28pm · Edited · Like · 2

• Matt Wicks
    I don't have enough reps behind white light to accurately answer that, all of my stuff I have done at night was under NVGs. I don't even know if there is a good rule of thumb other than "all the lumens" since environment and weather are big variables.
    May 24 at 4:29pm · Edited · Like · 1

• Steven McCarroll
    So if you are actively engaging and designating targets at 200 yards you should probably be using a larger light than the one strapped to your rifle, if not night vision. Outside a war zone how many people are engaging people at 200 at night? In most suburban area's that's several houses up the street.
    May 24 at 4:33pm · Like · 1

• Matt Wicks
    If I am engaging at night there will be NVGs involved, not white light. That being said, anything outside military applications would just be speculation on my part.
    May 24 at 4:37pm · Like · 4

• Lee Gullett
    Matt I think that's the key difference, you're used to being the aggressor.

I'm never the aggressor. Even my mil experience I've never been the aggressor, always the reaction force. If I'm responding it dramatically changes what I'm looking for. Taking fire from 200 yards away (shtf or whatever the flavor of oh shit situation you prefer) I'm just shooting I'm not identifying shit.
    May 24 at 4:40pm · Like · 3

• Matt James
    200m is beyond the PID capabilities of a lot of NV goggle systems as well.

There are hallways that are 100m to 200 in large buildings. That distance isnt hard to articulate as plausible. 500m lumens easily illuminates someone at 100-150, but fine detail edges off after that. Really depends on conditions, just like NV as to how good it is.
    May 24 at 7:49pm · Like · 4

• Matt Stutzenburg
    I'll do some homework on it.

Anyone have any decent lights with a quality beam spread they'd recommend?
    May 24 at 8:13pm · Like

• Steven McCarroll
    For target illumination?
    May 24 at 8:19pm · Like · 1

• Matt Stutzenburg
    No, for frying ants on the back porch...
    grin emoticon
    May 24 at 8:22pm · Like

• Steven McCarroll
    Wickedlasers.com

Wicked Lasers | Blue, Red, Green Laser Pointers
    Wicked Lasers creates the world's most powerful and...
    WICKEDLASERS.COM
    May 24 at 8:24pm · Like · 1 · Remove Preview

• Matt Stutzenburg
    I've watched a guy in the Shops section of my old unit mod a blue ray to burn shit.

Not impressed lol
    May 24 at 8:26pm · Like · 1

• Lee Gullett
    I moored alongside the only ship to have a fucking laser gun in the world.

I was impressed. And at a good half chub.
    May 24 at 8:27pm · Like · 2

• Steven McCarroll
    Yeah mines pretty good. I sometimes forgot to turn it down and the cat/dog would get tagged.
    May 24 at 8:28pm · Like · 1

• Aaron Solich
    Matt Levi is correct about us (my agency) working with Surefire to design this light. Me and my branch worked this from concept to product with them. Note the last portion of the part number on the SF website. This light was designed to meet a specific need based on real-world logistical constraints. It'll suit our needs well. It may not meet everyone's needs for every situation. As you should always do, match your kit to your operational needs. Just to clear up some potential confusion in early posts, this light runs off of both Lithium AAs and Alkaline AAs. Output is 200 lumens with either battery type. Run time is just shorter with the Alkalines. Although not part of Surefire's standard catalog, they're also making a AA handheld for us as well.
    May 24 at 8:36pm · Like · 4

• Matt Stutzenburg
    Thank you Aaron Solich, solid input.
    May 24 at 8:51pm · Like · 1

• Steven McCarroll
    Aaron I want the AA handheld.
    May 24 at 8:52pm · Like · 1

• Aaron Solich
    The bezel and tailcap switch are also the same between the Scoutlight and handheld so that the Scoutlight can be repaired in the field if needed.
    May 24 at 9:05pm · Unlike · 3

• Aaron Solich
    Steven McCarroll, Surefire chose not to make the handheld a standard catalog item since their E2LAA is somewhat similar. Our version isn't two light levels like the standard E2LAA since it's meant to be a tactical light. It's a straight 200 lumens like the Scoutlight. The reason we didn't go brighter (which they could have done) was to balance output with run time. I don't know if it can be ordered by calling SF customer service or not. Here's a look at it (conveniently showing the part number).

May 24 at 9:12pm · Like · 5

• Steven McCarroll
    I hate double clicking lights. That's a clean little light, I may not be able to target AA guns with it, but it uses cheap batteries and is surefire tough. Thanks.
    May 24 at 9:24pm · Like · 2

• Phil Combs
    Honestly i have several m600 including a km2 and the new AA. The only difference i notice is the kelvin output of the beam, a slight yellow. Other than that the throw and distance seems exactly the same as a 6v m600. I like it so far just because i can throw rechargable lithiums in it along with pvs14 and my other gear.
    May 24 at 9:28pm · Unlike · 5

• Matt Levi
    Thanks for the end user input Aaron Solich.
    May 24 at 10:12pm · Like · 3

• Aaron Solich
    No problem Matt. Happy to help where I can. BTW, Surefire was great to work with on this project.
    May 25 at 7:20am · Like · 2

• Tore Haugli
    Steven McCarroll

I saw your question on how many lumens is needed to illuminate a target at a given distance.

I just want to interject that the lumen value says nothing about beam distance/throw. Lumen is the total amount of light emitted from a source.

The value you are looking for is lux, or intensity at a given distance. 1 Lux is 1 lumen per square meter.

The beam distance given in a spec sheet is a computed value, and is the distance where the light intensity is 0.25 lux, roughly the same as a full moon. Peak beam intensity is given in candela, and 1 candela is 1 lux at one meter. The light discussed here has a peak beam intensity of 6,400cd, and a beam distance of 160m

Target visibility under illumination is not a linear metric either. A guy dressed in all white might require less lux to see than someone dressed in darker colors like grey, or dark blue.

Of course, more lumens gives greater potential for better throw, but alot has to do with light design as well. You need to decide on a balance between a bright hotspot and a good corona as well. And, as always, there is the balance between output and run time - the higher the output the lower the runtime - and also the hotter the light gets.

This is often an issue with cheap asian lights; they are run so hard in order to get extreme output that they are borderline unsafe. In addition to having short run times.

As an example on how lumens give you more potential, but that design has a lot to say is the M600P, the 2 CR123 version of the light discussed here. It has triple the lumens, at 600, a peak beam intensity of 14,750cs and a beam distance of 243m. The run time is 1,5 hours, compared to 3.75 hours on the AA battery version.
    May 25 at 7:49am · Edited · Like · 4